Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am considering mounting a RAM or phone holder right on top of the handlebar bag of my Chief Classic. My beach handlebar is turned to the lowest possible position and therefore I cannot mount a device to the handlebar. There wouldn’t be enough clearance between device and tank. Since I am using a handlebar bag I cannot mount a device to the Nacelle either.

Anyone using a GPS or cell phone mounted on top of the handlebar bag? How did you do that? Your experience with readability when riding regarding vibrations?

Thanks in advance
Mike

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Anything mounted to a leather bag will eventually sag and give you a problem.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm currently using IO mount from Klock-Werks. Works very well will spin a little when you hammer it in the turns or if the back end kicks out a bit. Otherwise it's great, but make sure your phone case is a hard material not a gel case. The gel case will flex might lose it. I also purchased the lanyard to hold it to the handlebars just for that added security.

Device Mounts for Indian

Klock Werks iOmounts™ Device Tether

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am considering mounting a RAM or phone holder right on top of the handlebar bag of my Chief Classic. My beach handlebar is turned to the lowest possible position and therefore I cannot mount a device to the handlebar. There wouldn’t be enough clearance between device and tank. Since I am using a handlebar bag I cannot mount a device to the Nacelle either.

Anyone using a GPS or cell phone mounted on top of the handlebar bag? How did you do that? Your experience with readability when riding regarding vibrations?

Thanks in advance
Mike
Indian sells the mount in chrome only that attaches to the left or right handle controls. You then buy the rest from Ram for your particular device.

RAM® Ball Mount | Indian Motorcycle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used my phone as a GPS on bikes for years. By far the best mount I've tried is the Rokform. It is solid.

Motorcycle Mounts

combined with the compatible case

Rugged Case - iPhone XS/X

I wouldn't think mounted on a bag would be steady enough to actually see it. Vibrations will make it practically unreadable. I also found the magnetic case to be way more useful than wireless charging ever was. (Can't have both with a Rokform).

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys, thanks for your replies, appreciate. I drop the idea of mounting it on the leather bag. The Rokform mount looks as If it could work even on low handlebars. Will give it a try.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Ok guys, thanks for your replies, appreciate. I drop the idea of mounting it on the leather bag. The Rokform mount looks as If it could work even on low handlebars. Will give it a try.
This is not the best photo as I used it to show my new lower flared screen ,but I found the Ram mounts x claws move around too much so I bought the Quad Lock system and yes you need a cover to use their system but it locks into place firm and easy to fit or take off .I used the handle bar mounts ,you can mount it any side of the bars in just about any position you like .Mine is on the right because I like it there and being right hand it make sense too me lol. The tab to the left of the mount is the locking and unlocking part of the mount the phone can be mounted straight up ,side ways or upside down if you wanted too . The are one of the best phone mounts that will secure your mobile without the slightest change of it coming loose.The also count vibrate so if your using the phone for the GPS you can read it clearly.
IMG_0801.jpg

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is not the best photo as I used it to show my new lower flared screen ,but I found the Ram mounts x claws move around too much so I bought the Quad Lock system and yes you need a cover to use their system but it locks into place firm and easy to fit or take off .I used the handle bar mounts ,you can mount it any side of the bars in just about any position you like .Mine is on the right because I like it there and being right hand it make sense too me lol. The tab to the left of the mount is the locking and unlocking part of the mount the phone can be mounted straight up ,side ways or upside down if you wanted too . The are one of the best phone mounts that will secure your mobile without the slightest change of it coming loose.The also count vibrate so if your using the phone for the GPS you can read it clearly.
View attachment 510832
helpful information, thank you!

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
helpful information, thank you!
Your more than welcome, I stuffed around with about 3 types of mounts until I finally worked out the benefit of the Quad Lock system and the fact they are so stable you can actually see whats on the screen if you use you phone or cam , there is no way your ever going to loose it , nor does it interfere with any buttons on your phone lick the ram X mount did in my case.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
As you have figured out, mounting a phone directly on the bag would probably be a bad idea. There might be some kind of tall mount that would let you mount it to the bar so that it would show over the bag, but I'm not aware of one.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
As you have figured out, mounting a phone directly on the bag would probably be a bad idea. There might be some kind of tall mount that would let you mount it to the bar so that it would show over the bag, but I'm not aware of one.
Once again check out Quad Lock systems.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been researching the RAM and quad systems as well. From reading reviews, think the quad lock system is where I am leaning towards. Don't want to have to buy a cover for my phone but just have to make a decision. I have seen RAM reviews and no issues with good reviews. It just depends on what you are comfortable with. I have several buddies who use the RAM with no issues.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I have been researching the RAM and quad systems as well. From reading reviews, think the quad lock system is where I am leaning towards. Don't want to have to buy a cover for my phone but just have to make a decision. I have seen RAM reviews and no issues with good reviews. It just depends on what you are comfortable with. I have several buddies who use the RAM with no issues.
I agree that you need to be comfortable with what you go with.I used Ram before I came across the Quad Lock and I can say 100% the Quad Lock is way more secure without any movement or vibration.plus you can access all the controls on your phone ,where the Ram with the X mount tends to restrict that part. But go with what you prefer as your the only one that has to live and use it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I went with the Indian Ram Mount on my Springfield, for the same reasons that you mentioned, not a good place to mount on the handle bar. Then purchased the Quad Lock system for my phone, the phone mounts rock solid to this system, very pleased with the set up. The Ram extension give me multiple angles to be able to mount the phone, so if glare becomes an issue, I just adjust it for the sun.
IMG_6821.JPG
IMG_6832.JPG

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went with the Indian Ram Mount on my Springfield, for the same reasons that you mentioned, not a good place to mount on the handle bar. Then purchased the Quad Lock system for my phone, the phone mounts rock solid to this system, very pleased with the set up. The Ram extension give me multiple angles to be able to mount the phone, so if glare becomes an issue, I just adjust it for the sun. View attachment 511090 View attachment 511092
Combining both systems is an interesting option. Thank you!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a mount in the handle bar and then decided to switch to a regular phone case bolted into a leather bag, cheaper and way better looking, it is right at the center and I have no sagging or vibration issues.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a mount in the handle bar and then decided to switch to a regular phone case bolted into a leather bag, cheaper and way better looking, it is right at the center and I have no sagging or vibration issues.
Sounds good! Could you show a picture please?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts