Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual says not to use certain products on the windshield. Some are obvious, but it says not to use rain repellant products. RainX says it is OK to use on polycarb plastic. Is Indian just trying to cover their ass with a blanket statement? I've used RainX on face shields before, but never a plastic windshield. Did anyone use it on their bike windshield?

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I didn’t know about the plastic version of RainX, or have overlooked it, so thanks for mentioning it!

I have put RainX windshield washer fluid in the car for years and years.
I used their bug and tar remover a couple times without bad affects. That stuff says safe for plastics and clearcoat.

Maybe the difference is ethanol and Isopropanol in the original RainX.
Looks like the bug and tar has petroleum products.
Well also the fact original RainX bonds with glass, so no doubt not meant for plastics.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Check out bug slide.
I had BugSlide I bought at a motorcycle show in Atlanta long time ago.
Used a couple times and seemed to be good stuff but either got misplaced or walked away (borrowed).

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I had BugSlide I bought at a motorcycle show in Atlanta long time ago.
Used a couple times and seemed to be good stuff but either got misplaced or walked away (borrowed).
My experience with Bugslide is positive. It works better than the plastic formulated RainX, but must be reapplied more often... otherwise get Bugslide.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Use Top Coat F11 or I found even better The Last Coat. Both can be used on every surface of the bike including windshield. Both can be used on gloss or satin paint but the The Last Coat lasts much longer between applications.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I think years ago we just used Lemon Pledge on our plexiglass.
Use the aerosol, regular lemon Pledge all the time on everything including plexiglass windshield. The stuff is great and I've used it since a friend of mine in the auto/motorcycle business showed me the benefits of its use around 1991. I've used it ever since. A small can travels with us on every long trip. Cleans, protects, shines and doesn't scratch. I've used bug slide and all kinds of other "great" products...some work and some do not. The pledge is consistently good for my use and its readily available and inexpensive, too.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Not a fan of rain X unless at higher speeds. Works great then.
But..

I don't like how at low speeds enough micro water beads remain in a high enough amount that a gnarly glare is present under lights at night.

That's been my experience.

And yes, it must be for plastic application.

Also, sometimes manufacturers have a scratch coating, or anti glare coating that is effected adversely by hydrophobics and other chemicals.

·
Rider
858 Posts
Agreed. I use Lemon Pledge. It cleans surprisingly well, doesn't attack the polycarbonate like WIndex and gives you a nice whiff of lemony freshness while riding.
We used Pledge on the plastic window panels of our boat canvas and it made them look like new.

·
Rider
1,190 Posts

This is the best all round product I have found .
Honda product , some bikers wrap the can so there buds can’t see who sells it 🤣.
Works on paint , chrome , aluminum, rubber trim and plexiglass windshields .
Makes bug removal easier ( love bugs😠 ) , helps with road tar also .

·
Registered
50 Posts
I purchased a Freedom shield for my Springfield and they recommend the "original RainX". But do NOT use anything with ammonia in it. Another product I use on my windshield and on the rest of the bike is Duragloss 921 fast clean and shine. Works on paint, chrome and windshield.

·
Registered
468 Posts
View attachment 587322
Honda product , some bikers wrap the can so there buds can’t see who sells it 🤣.
I've used this before. A friend was sponsored by Honda for racing and he got it free. Great product. but it's expensive here in Canada.

·
Rider
569 Posts
View attachment 587322
I totally agree. My dealership use to sell the Honda product but now it sells “Original Bike Spirits - Spray Cleaner & Polish”. I believe it is the same stuff. The aerosol can has basically the same look. I use it on my cars, truck, and even around the house. It is safe on everything. 👍

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,293 Posts
I totally agree. My dealership use to sell the Honda product but now it sells “Original Bike Spirits - Spray Cleaner & Polish”. I believe it is the same stuff. The aerosol can has basically the same look. I use it on my cars, truck, and even around the house. It is safe on everything. 👍
That's all I use, I love that stuff!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts