Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experimented with rainex or anything like it on their windsheilds? I was driving in Fl. last nite and a fog rolled in that coated my windsheild with moisture that made it extremely difficult to see through especially when the lights of oncoming traffic glared through the windshield.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glare was my first problem with a new windshield. My solution was to shorten it until I was looking over the top. It still provided protection but without the blinding glare.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
From everything I've ever heard do NOT use Rainx. The windshield is made of Lexan which will turn foggy if you use any product with ammonia. I've heard pledge helps, others use Zooke Products - Anti fog spray for glasses Personally I just look over the shield.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Windshield height should be just below eye level for that reason.........
Exactly, Windshield Height just be about Nose Level so can see above it comfortably .. Also RainX is not good for Lexan Shields .. I use Plexus which was designed for them and haven't found anything better although even clear water beats cleaning it with harsh chemicals made for glass windshields ..

·
Registered
34 Posts
RainX over several uses will turn your Lexan windshield yellowish and foggy. Regular glass cleaners will do the same. I use the PlastX cleaner and then Pledge furniture polish. I got caught in some very heavy rain this last summer that wasn't expected. I was having trouble seeing through my shield on my helmet and my windshield. I pulled into a grocery store and got me a can of pledge and a roll of paper towels. I pulled my bike under a shelter and dried them off and applied the pledge to both my face shield and my windshield. I then rode 119 miles through some very hard rain. I had no problems seeing. The rain beaded right off.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
You should ALWAYS cut your windshield down so that you look just over it on a motorcycle.

No windshield wipers.............o_O

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1 on windshield height for fogging problems. Situp up to look over, ride laid back when just cruising. Of course an electric windshield is the best accessory on a bike. :)

Novus 2 is what I use. It will remove small scratches, clean the windshield and even work on the plastic window on my snowblower cab and leave a coating.

FYI, for deep scratches you can use a heat gun but be very, very careful. Do a search and watch the vids produced for the bomb disposal guys shield.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I wouldn't use Rain-x on your Lexan windshield.

Novus 1 and Plexus work fine for cleaning and leaving a protective coating, been using both for years. I'm trying a new one I heard about that supposedly does real good for cleaning and it's supposed to leave a real good coating for dust, bugs and fogging, it's called All Kleer by Black Lab's. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to after the snow melts.

One can purchase All Kleer on Amazon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts