Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of quality rain covers for Vintage leather bags? I'm looking for something to don when I also put on a rainsuit while on the road.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Anyone know of quality rain covers for Vintage leather bags? I'm looking for something to don when I also put on a rainsuit while on the road.
Maybe some type of snap on tonneau cover to snap around the driver and cover the whole top of the bike. (-: It's a motorcycle, it's supposed to get wet.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks. I'm thinking I may have to make my own - REI rain fly, cut and sewn with embedded elastic. Problem is to make them sturdy enough to withstand 70mph and clean enough to look like they were factory issue from Indian. I'll work on it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You get rain I have forgotten what it is like the cows are getting broken legs from falling into the large cracks in the ground surface & if they survive that they just die from lack of grass it is pretty bleak in the bush CLACK,CLACK.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FWIW, I have 40K miles on 2010 Chief Vintage leather bags. Never been covered. I ride everywhere in all types of weather - rain, cold (31F) & heat (115F). I think my bags look better today than the day I picked it up. I soak all my leather (be careful to apply good leather dressing to all stitched seams - soak it in - like a riding saddle). I used Pecard's Leather Dressing>> Pecard - Retail: Pecard Leather Dressing 32oz

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've talked to a guy at King of Fleece that makes waterproof covers for seats. He's working on a cover for the Indian seats. Maybe ck to see if he makes saddlebag covers

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've talked to a guy at King of Fleece that makes waterproof covers for seats. He's working on a cover for the Indian seats. Maybe ck to see if he makes saddlebag covers
Been in contact with Geza Gear ( http://www.gezagear.com ). They seem to be interested in custom fitting covers for the seat and the bags. Reasonable size market for them too. I like the way they will stretch over the bag/seat, and not blow off. I'll keep the thread informed on outcomes.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any news on this??
No, JAE. Haven't really pushed it yet. Waiting for my bike and it's paint job before I custom order the Geza Gear. Thanks for reminding me though. I need to get bag/seat measurements from dealer, then I'll call them. Will do early this week.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi everyone. I would like to try to bring this topic back to life. I have the the same concerns and I am interested in making covers for the rear trunk and saddlebags on my 2017 RM. I did some hunting in Montreal and found that it is super difficult to even find anyone who wants to tackle this project. However, I did find a company that makes tarpaulins for long-haul trucks. They made me a set of covers. I rode with them to Dallas and, while they weren't elegant, they saved a lot of wear and tear on my saddle bags - read "kept them clean." I did not encounter any rain.

When I got back, I wanted some adjustments and they dumped me. They said they were not into fine adjustments but into big tarpaulins for trucks. Ok...I get it.

The challenge is to find something that will insert under the bags and keep rain away "mostly." The rear trunk is not so hard. It is also hard to find a fabric that will not get fried by mufflers.

I still have the covers and I would use them if I were going on a long trip. So, just wondering if anyone has any developments on this. For me, it is definitely a worthwhile project and a business opportunity.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My initial thought was a spare tire cover. But backpack covers sound like they could work well, too. Interested to see what someone does. Mine are hard bags on my RM, so no need for saddle bag covers. I do have a half cover that I put over it if I know it is going to be raining a lot while it sits outside at work. Just to try and help keep the leather dry. I have used Obenauf's for a long time on other leather products. Just turn on the heated seat and it helps it get where it needs to go. I imagine it would work on the leather bags and trunk too.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bump . . . . to keep this thread active. Still haven't got covers. But, as stated above, I will contact Geza Gear to inquire about custom covers.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Bump . . . . to keep this thread active. Still haven't got covers. But, as stated above, I will contact Geza Gear to inquire about custom covers.
Backpack covers would almost certainly work for you and would be cheap. But skin is water proof. No need to cover them. Just make sure you keep them hydrated with conditioner. I'd spray Nick Wax on the leather before thinking about a plastic cover that may fly off. If rain was bad for leather. No one would be using it on motorcycle seats/saddlebags, cowboy boots and shoes, horse saddles, knife sheaths, gun holsters, etc...

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Backpack covers would almost certainly work for you and would be cheap. But skin is water proof. No need to cover them. Just make sure you keep them hydrated with conditioner. I'd spray Nick Wax on the leather before thinking about a plastic cover that may fly off. If rain was bad for leather. No one would be using it on motorcycle seats/saddlebags, cowboy boots and shoes, horse saddles, knife sheaths, gun holsters, etc...
I have a 2015 Vintage. I acquired, reconditioned and mounted 2014 leather on the bike. The 2014 leather is NOT waterproof.

I tried a neighbor's backpack cover. It blew right off at 30 mph. I then attached cords to them under and around the bags. No good, one actually ripped.

I'm looking for ideas from anyone who has actually succeeded.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I have heard from many others with 2014 leather that have had no issues with water. That was the real leather. Only issues I've ever heard in regards to the 2014 leather, was the fading issue that was well known.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts