Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,
Other forums I have been on have a sticky thread where riders weigh in on the volume of sound an exhaust makes and ranks them 1 to 10, stock exhaust to straight pipes.

I searched a couple different ways on this forum but couldn't find such a posting. I'm interested in a 4 to 7 on the sound scale, for a 2 into 1 equal length exhaust. Maybe this will help others too.

Anyone interested in filling our such a scale?

In the beginning the numbers don't mean much but soon people that know two or three exhausts will rank them against each other. After a while the sound scale becomes pretty accurate.

Thank you!

1 Stock exhaust, no modifications

Aeromach with baffles and cats
Indian Stage One
Aeromachs with baffles out and cats in
Aeromachs with baffles in and cats out
Khrome Werks 4”
Aeromachs with baffles out and cats out
V&H 3" Slach Cuts
RCX 3"
Crusher Mavericks
Bassini Road Rage 2 into 1 "short"
RSD Slip On
Rinehart Slip On
V&H 4" Slip On
Dean Speed Slip On
Radiant Cycles Shorty GP
Dirty Birdy 2 into 1
Hacker Mayhem
Freedom 2 into 1 Turn Out
10 Straight Pipes, maximum possible loudness

Reactions: Cmiller and WENDIGO

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
You'll need a dB meter or dB meter app, a set control distance and participants. Perhaps add a poll to this thread.

Here is a test I did a while back with OEM headers, CAT intact, stock pipes to Stage One exhaust and Fistail Tips. The distance from exhaust tip to dB meter app was 3 feet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll need a dB meter or dB meter app, a set control distance and participants. Perhaps add a poll to this thread.

Here is a test I did a while back with OEM headers, CAT intact, stock pipes to Stage One exhaust and Fistail Tips. The distance from exhaust tip to dB meter app was 3 feet.
Yes, if we had a dyno mule and 30-35 of the most common exhaust systems and slip ons, and a few days to put all those exhausts on and off that might work, but we don't have any of that. And this idea is way simpler.

Let say I have direct knowledge of Scouts with a Basinni long and Two Bros 2 into 1 exhausts. I put those on the scale at 9.0 and 8.5 respectively. They are near the high end in loudness and I know the Two Bros is a bit quieter. (this is all made up data to explain how this works.)

Then someone else that knows the Freedom, Two Bros exhaust and the Trask slip ons. That person picks relative numbers for those exhausts. WIth over a thousand members here it doesn't take too long to get a full scale of popular exhausts ranked ordinally quietest to loudest. The XLForum has such a list that works amazingly well and when I bought my D&D Bobcat exhaust I knew exactly what to expect.

No reason it won't work with Scouts.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,752 Posts
Not all of us are looking for maximum loudness. On that one to ten scale I'd prefer a 3, 4 or 5. I don't need to rattle windows or set off car alarms with exhaust noise.

·
Rider
715 Posts
Yup everybody has different taste for sure. Was just giving my input on the exhaust so people knew where it stood on the “scale”.
Not all of us are looking for maximum loudness. On that one to ten scale I'd prefer a 3, 4 or 5. I don't need to rattle windows or set off car alarms with exhaust noise.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes! It is already working. Thanks all!

Reactions: Not-the-One

·
Registered
617 Posts
The biggest problem with this idea is it should be done with the same calibrated db monitor on the same bike in the same conditions. Otherwise it's a bunch of data that really means nothing. Kinda like using your ear for loundness.

About all you can really determine are which exhausts are really loud and which ones are only a little louder than stock and then which ones are somewhere in the middle.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,752 Posts
Stock mufflers being a one, Stage ones a two and Aeromachs being a three with baffles in. Those would make up the low end of the scale sound-wise.

·
Bronze member
1,476 Posts
I’d say the 3” RCX were about 7. The Khrome Werks 4” I have now about 5. Remember the decibels can be at the same number in particular exhaust-but a lower tone is PERCIEVED as a quieter exhaust. So - if you can get your mufflers to sound real throaty, low tone you will be very happy IMO. The reason I bought the Khrome Werks mufflers.

·
Registered
2021 Chieftain Dark Horse, rinehart slip ons, more to come
143 Posts
I went from stock to two bros racing. I would say mild to wild but I can’t put it on a scale to 1-10 as no one has any scouts in my area that I have seen other than passing by

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd put the RSD slip ons at an 8 out of 10.. they are deafeningly loud - one time I was at an ice cream shop and started it to leave, and literally a group of 7 kids all screamed at the same time when I started the bike - it scared the shit out of them and they were easily 5-10 feet away.

I have since put the quiet baffles in them and now I'd say they are around a 6 or 7.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts