Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RM dark horse
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 140000 miles (between two different RMs), my decatted rear header gave up the ghost.
I replaced it with a Freedom true dual because that was the only choice at my dealer at the time.
Now, the stock mufflers sound terrible, even with a good PVCX fuel map. So.......
What's the quietest slipon muffler/baffle combo I can buy that will work with the true duals?
I spent almost 40 years working explosive ordnance and chemical weapons jobs, so now, I'd like to keep the hearing that I still have.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
221 Posts
After 140000 miles (between two different RMs), my decatted rear header gave up the ghost.
I replaced it with a Freedom true dual because that was the only choice at my dealer at the time.
Now, the stock mufflers sound terrible, even with a good PVCX fuel map. So.......
What's the quietest slipon muffler/baffle combo I can buy that will work with the true duals?
I spent almost 40 years working explosive ordnance and chemical weapons jobs, so now, I'd like to keep the hearing that I still have.

Thanks in advance!
Set of inexpensive Cobra slip ons they are chrome and got an awesome sound.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,231 Posts
I think the OP isn't interested in something louder than the stock mufflers if I'm interpreting correctly. It's hard to get anything quieter than the original equipment mufflers. There are decibel killer baffle inserts for aftermarket pipes and if possible to do so there is fiberglass wrap that can be added around the baffles up inside the mufflers. Outside of going to an automotive muffler with much more baffling I don't see much of any other solution.

·
43 Posts

Thanks in advance!
If you don't like Freedom Performance, you can try Rinehart. It surely sounds nicer than the stock. Click on the "Sound" button to listen.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
As Arapaho mentioned, TAB has their slip ons with the quiet baffle. I have them on my Chieftain. I also have the Zombie baffles and while those sound good, I'm trying to keep my hearing too (Army Veteran). The quiet baffles are still louder than stock so if you want to keep the decibels low, you may need to stay stock.

TAB recently released Zombie Ring inserts. I'm not sure how these would impact the quiet baffles but you may want to call them and discuss. They say it makes the Zombie baffles pitch a little lower.

·
Rider
986 Posts
I second the above:

Rineharts with the quiet baffle (an option) (has a beautiful low tone rumble).
TAB performance with 1.75 baffle (not 2.5 or Zombies)
Try V&H they may have a quiet baffle option.

Or cheapest thing and quietest maybe to buy a set of stock non-decated or decated headers and stay with the stock slipons.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have the Rineharts, the cats been gutted. I DJ so I like my hearing too. I do wear earplugs when riding.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,826 Posts
Why not just get a newer set of stock mufflers? I had the Indian Stage 1 mufflers on when I removed the cat and I had to go back to the stock mufflers. Since they were new except for a couple test rides from the mechanic at my dealer they sound great. But if you must get something other than stockers, I too would be interested in what might be as quiet and sound good. But most give suggestions for louder. I don't think there is such a thing but I'm open for suggestions too because mufflers do burn out and slowly get louder. And doing it slow like that you don't notice it so much until you are around someone that has, quiet mufflers. So I'll be watching this thread and I hope you post what you end up with.

·
Registered
2020 RM dark horse
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadn't thought of that. The stock mufflers have over 119,000 miles on them. I'll see if the dealer has some sitting around.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a set of stock take off mufflers, replaced last year with stage ones. Only on bike for a month. Not sure what shipping would be to your location, I am in Canada, but would ship them at cost if interested.

Reactions: Kost

·
Rider
1,069 Posts
I would go with stock and be done with it, maybe your dealer has some take offs for a killer price.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I hadn't thought of that. The stock mufflers have over 119,000 miles on them. I'll see if the dealer has some sitting around.
I've got a set from my 19 rm with only about 2k on them. Perfect condition if you want them. PM sent as well...

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,826 Posts
Most dealers can't give stock take-offs away fast enough. I'd find another dealer if they are charging for something someone didn't want in the first place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts