Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a ride and it was a long day in the saddle. I am running the S3 cams in my 111 with a very good tune on the bike. Jackpot header with Rinehart slipons. I know there are many here that adore the Rineharts and they truly sound cool, but a whole day with the loud exhaust makes your head rattle. There are many times when I appreciate the exhaust note but I look forward to decels and RPM ranges where the engine isn't pushing hard through the exhaust.

So...without killing the performance of the engine, what is the happy medium muffler? I've run stockers with the plugs punched and did not care for the sound. The Rineharts just are too loud.

Looking for rumble without rasp. Maybe Indian S1s

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I’m running the stage ones from Indian with the six shooter tips. My brother has the reinharts. The s1 pipes are very tame by comparison. I can ride all day without getting irritated.

Reactions: stickbow

·
Rider
944 Posts
I have a friend I ride with quite a bit and he has Indian S1 mufflers. I have the Rineharts and I think his are louder. He does not, so there is that.

At idle I took a decibel meter and his was 109 at idle and mine was 110.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I took the stock baffles out of my Rineharts because they were too quiet and replace them with their performance version. The rumble really keeps me stoned, I say. I'm thinking these stock 2020 baffles might be nice for you. The reason I say 2020 is because in 2017 I think stock pipes were louder and provided the upgraded baffling I have now.

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
Any exhaust with a 1.75 baffle should meet your needs. Some manufacturers offer a variety of baffles sizes. I know TAB offers different baffles.

·
Rider
1,073 Posts
I have the complete Rinehart Slimline Dual Exhaust and Rinehart 4" Slip-on for Indian Touring. ...on trips over 25 miles I'm using earplugs from here on out =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the stock baffles out of my Rineharts because they were too quiet and replace them with their performance version. The rumble really keeps me stoned, I say. I'm thinking these stock 2020 baffles might be nice for you. The reason I say 2020 is because in 2017 I think stock pipes were louder and provided the upgraded baffling I have now.
Can you send me a pic?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,052 Posts
One of my best riding buddies has Rineharts on his Road Glide. I get it’s a different motor but after riding behind him from Georgia to Key West, I vowed to never ride behind him again. I had a splitting headache and I don’t get headaches.
My came from the dealer (a demo) with the V&H slip-ons. I still think they are the best sounding pipes I’ve heard on this bike. My wife had a set of the V&H Classics and they were louder than my turn-downs.
For what it’s worth I’ve ridden 700+ miles a day and they’ve never bothered me in the least.

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Just got back from a ride and it was a long day in the saddle. I am running the S3 cams in my 111 with a very good tune on the bike. Jackpot header with Rinehart slipons. I know there are many here that adore the Rineharts and they truly sound cool, but a whole day with the loud exhaust makes your head rattle. There are many times when I appreciate the exhaust note but I look forward to decels and RPM ranges where the engine isn't pushing hard through the exhaust.

So...without killing the performance of the engine, what is the happy medium muffler? I've run stockers with the plugs punched and did not care for the sound. The Rineharts just are too loud.

I have a gorgeous set of Vance and Hines Turndowns that might give you what you are looking for chrome is good and they are wrapped up in my garage but they came off of my Vintage so no hard bag supports.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The Vance and Hines are pretty quiet out of the box. I'm not into really loud pipes myself and I had to take the baffles out of my Vance and Hines pipes to get them to sound good.

·
Bronze member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my best riding buddies has Rineharts on his Road Glide. I get it’s a different motor but after riding behind him from Georgia to Key West, I vowed to never ride behind him again. I had a splitting headache and I don’t get headaches.
My came from the dealer (a demo) with the V&H slip-ons. I still think they are the best sounding pipes I’ve heard on this bike. My wife had a set of the V&H Classics and they were louder than my turn-downs.
For what it’s worth I’ve ridden 700+ miles a day and they’ve never bothered me in the least.
Really good to know. Thanks Dave.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts

Very interested to find out what you decided to go with. I’m running the same setup on my RM with the exception of the cams S2 vs S3, and like you I’m tired of the excessive noise. Been thinking of just putting my stock pipes back on.
Juan

·
5 years +
61 Posts

I put on a set of Khrome Werks slip ons. Pleasant sound, excellent low end torque, and outstanding finish. I've had them on for 5 years now, and they still look like new.

Griff

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 19 CDH came with TAB Zombies. I really liked it but was too loud, wake the neighbors up loud. I have since gone with the Jackpot header and swapped in the 2.5" medium baffles. Good sound, nice rumble when you get on it, but not overbearing. I am running stock cams with high flow intake.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I bought the V&H classics, not too loud, sound very low and thumpy. Zero rasp at any throttle which I like. If they are too loud, I have a brand new set of quiet baffles that I believe will fit the turn downs as well? I don't think I need them, so I will make someone a deal. I came from Indian Stage 1, which was slightly louder than I wanted for all day riding. If I was going to start over, I would stick with stock and delete the cat. This is what we did on my wifes Chieftain and it sounds great, never too loud, but you can hear it when you are on it. Woke it up just enough.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a 2016 Chieftain with the 116 kit and Jackpot Header. I had the stage 2 pipes with six shooter tips. Sounded great but got tiresome on the road and listening to my music was more difficult as I had to run ear splitting volume at speed to listen along. I then put the stockers on after drilling the plugs out. Did a video on here and my impressions were very good. Not quite as loud as the Stage 2 pipes. I then said why not keep going? I will try a stock set of pipes as they actually breath very well and with the plugs in force the exhaust through the baffles. Once I installed them and fired it up I though hell yeah, these sound great. The big bore kit and Jackpot header will add a couple of decibels but probably not too much. The sound was very pleasing to me. Yes it is still rumbly and deep and growls pretty loudly when I hit the throttle but that nice deep mellow tone on the road is great. I did not dyno anything along the way so actual numbers are unknown to me. I got the tune for my setup from Craig on here and he also sent me Fuel Moto's tune which I have not yet tried. The seat of the pants dyno says she ain't missing anything she had before. She hauls the mail just fine and I feel no loss of torque anywhere in the rev range. Granted, a dyno may show some effects but I cannot feel any difference. I love the setup this way. Twist the throttle for noise when I want but all day cruising is so much more enjoyable. Perhaps when I get time I can do another video for a sound demo. The factory pipes are pretty damn good unless you just want more noise. The performance advantage with other pipes alone is pretty negligible I bet as as far as any real increase in power. I will leave that commentary to the expert tuners here to chime in on. The bike is definitely where I want it now..

·
Registered
324 Posts

1 - 20 of 45 Posts