Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Rider
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at Dynojets quick shifter and how it works. What would be wrong with tunning the bike/injectors to shut off or reduce the fuel at let's say 5600 rpm for 0.20 of a second? Then preloading the shifter just before this rpm so when the rpm is achieved the engine unloads the tranny and the shift is made.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
I have it on my thumper and I love it. Just keep the throttle open and shift. One long BRAAA-AAA-AAP.

And it blips on downshifts too. Just tap down while braking before a turn. No clutch.

I do think it works best on higher revving engines.

love it

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
It cuts off the coils. Not fuel injectors.

no way are you going to be able to tune that and get the shifts perfect every time.

Just buy a quick shifter kit.

I prefer the healtech unit.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
Sure about that? Every quick shifter I’ve ever used interrupted the coils. As it’s much quicker to cut spark than it is fuel.

Anyway, no way to tune that in, and still be able to shift at that exact point every time. Quick shifters aren’t that expensive. Just buy one and not risk screwing up your transmission.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Yeah, both system exist. Cutting the coils is just as quick as cutting the fuel injectors. One benefit of cutting the injectors, there’s less to no popping in the exhaust during a shift.

Afaik quickshifters were traditionally spark-cut because they were invented back when carbs were standard equipment.

Fuel-cut QS came in with the piggy-back fuel-injection tuners; since you're already overriding the injector signal, why bother with adding spark control? Just chop the fuel flow.

And yes, you cannot tune it in, you never shift at the same revs. You need a system that responds to your left foot, not the other way around.

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
Just my opinion FWIW: But if ya wanna play squirrel with a full size Indian model,then you have the WRONG MACHINE to do it with.Why?? Cause it's too dam big and heavy!! If you're not happy with it's performance,then like some one else said ,but a smaller machine like the Scout!! I understand it goes like hell! Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,691 Posts
Once again ( and as usual ) , a thread speaking of performance enhancement(s), is overpowering to some. No longer being able to maintain any perspective, and only able to operate from myopic self absorption, we get the inevitable posters harshing the idea that some of us (most?) want to personalize our bikes - INCLUDING performance personalizations !

When I street race my RM (yep, I race it cause it's fun - Get over it !) , it would be nice to not accidentally hit the rev limiter. Some kind of "auto shift" would be saawheat !

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
Please accept my appologies sir as I did not mean to offend you and meant no disrespect as it was only a suggestion,nothing more and nothing less.Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
Yeah, both system exist. Cutting the coils is just as quick as cutting the fuel injectors. One benefit of cutting the injectors, there’s less to no popping in the exhaust during a shift.

Afaik quickshifters were traditionally spark-cut because they were invented back when carbs were standard equipment.

Fuel-cut QS came in with the piggy-back fuel-injection tuners; since you're already overriding the injector signal, why bother with adding spark control? Just chop the fuel flow.

And yes, you cannot tune it in, you never shift at the same revs. You need a system that responds to your left foot, not the other way around.
Learn something new every day!

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
This isn't directly aimed at you but your question made me think... Why do people insist on trying to make their cruisers into super sports.. part of the beauty of the cruiser is the pull-clunk change.
I always think I am doing damage to the tranny when shifting because of the clunk, I don't find comfort in poor shifting. I get not having a quick shifter but I do wish the gear change was much smoother. I understand why they have it shift the way they do, just pointing out it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

·
Bronze member
1,458 Posts
Yeah I do get the point, on my Kawasaki the gearbox is so heavy duty to take into account that massive torque there's not just a clunk it's a caa-lunk, especially 1st gear... Putting into 1st gear this such a clunk the whole bike shakes.

the flip side of that if I had a transmission that was smooth and cleaner and softer I'd be concerned that it wasn't grunty enough to take the job

·
Rider
879 Posts
I always think I am doing damage to the tranny when shifting because of the clunk, I don't find comfort in poor shifting. I get not having a quick shifter but I do wish the gear change was much smoother. I understand why they have it shift the way they do, just pointing out it isn't everyone's cup of tea.
I have found that a combination of Clutch adjustment/set-up, and Technique...makes for better/smoother Shifts..
But, This will Never be a Jap Bike... different in so many ways!!!

·
Bronze member
3,057 Posts
Mine doesn't clunk when shifting,that is,unless I kick into gear when she's cold and first started.But as long as I allow it to idle for atleast 5 minutes in warm weather,longer in cold weather,she goes into gear nice and smooth.In fact,it's very smooooooooooooooth.I'd make a suggestion,but I don't wanna get into any pissin contests cause too many guys will disagree with my methods.Dummy Dave!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Once again ( and as usual ) , a thread speaking of performance enhancement(s), is overpowering to some. No longer being able to maintain any perspective, and only able to operate from myopic self absorption, we get the inevitable posters harshing the idea that some of us (most?) want to personalize our bikes - INCLUDING performance personalizations !

When I street race my RM (yep, I race it cause it's fun - Get over it !) , it would be nice to not accidentally hit the rev limiter. Some kind of "auto shift" would be saawheat !
I wonder if the quick-shifter could be used as a "replacement" for the clutch lever even in "non-sporty" riding... that would be great for riders with screwed up left arms/hands.

If it could be used in such a fashion I´d totally invest the 500 bucks on the quick-shifter. My left arm is not what it used to be anymore.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if the quick-shifter could be used as a "replacement" for the clutch lever even in "non-sporty" riding... that would be great for riders with screwed up left arms/hands.

If it could be used in such a fashion I´d totally invest the 500 bucks on the quick-shifter. My left arm is not what it used to be anymore.
From Craig B's blog
An added benefit, I have arthritis setting up in my hands. Just normal riding around, this quick shifter has helped, I now quick shifting for almost all my up-shifting, which....my hand thanks me for it!

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
You always could upshift without a clutch on bikes. That’s just the nature of sequential gearboxes... just momentarily close the throttle while you shift, no clutch needed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts