Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Silver member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a Dynojet Quick Shifter for the TS-111 (don't know if they will be offering it for the Scout models, assume they will be).

I've run quick shifters in the past on my Harley's that were setup for racing (and fun). The one model I ran was fairly clunky and hard to adjust. With this in mind, I opened the box hoping it was a better design.....I was very pleased! Very clean design with straight forward installation instructions. The kit consists of:

1- Shift Sensor
1- Shift Rod
1 - Shift Kill Module
1 - Ground Cable
1 - Heim Joint

I will be installing the unit this week and testing it out, it looks like a 30 minute installation with the hardest part being getting to the injector connections. The shift sensor goes in-line with the gear shifter and comes with a replacement shift rod (shorter then OEM) and heim joint. The sensor connects to the shift kill module, which connects in-line to the front and rear fuel injectors.

For those that are not familiar with a quick shifter.....with the quick shifter, you maintain the throttle and bump the gear shifter, the sensor senses this, cuts the injectors for a fraction of a second while the next gear engages. Really makes a big difference in racing and street performance applications...like when you want to beat your buddy.

I will post the installation photos and then the results of my testing under road conditions later this week.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
OST for install pics and review...

·
Silver member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, I do that same thing with my right hand, no clutch. Sounds like an automatic.
Not an automatic, but clutchless shifting at full RPM. This is something you cannot do with out letting up on the RPM's and hitting the sweet spot. A quick shifter allows you to maintain RPM and just bump the gear shift, the gears are shifted with no loss of engine RPM (offering a huge advantage when every second counts.)

No one can shift faster and more securely with or without a clutch then when using a quick shifter.

·
Bronze member
1,645 Posts
WAAAAAAY b4 the advent of quick shifters I modified the hazard button on my KZ1000 as a momentary on/off/on button wired into the ignition system, and boy oh boy the shifts, if I hit that button perfectly, were clean and quick. At our Saturday nite out in the Homestead tomato fields drag races shifting with the "button" running against a guy that we usually ran neck and neck, I would put a bike length on him in a 1/4 mile. He was sure I had changed my sprockets!

Then air shifters on drag bikes, not practical on a street bike, but on all my street skoots I converted the horn button to a kill switch for shifting.

And now, thanx to @CraigB1960 alerting me that I needed to have a quick shifter (that I was not aware of!!!), I have one coming!!!

YEEHAW!!!

RACNRAY

·
Bronze member
1,645 Posts
True...but I am fairly quick. On the other hand, a 900 pound bike is no drag racer. But it is fun to do.
I am sure you are quick for any non- assisted shifting style you practice, but setting up quick shifters thru the years I have had kill time as low as 50 milliseconds, which is not humanly possible to duplicate.

Depending on what the Indian tranny needs for clean and quick shifts, and due to the non-standard and highly neato "dog ring" shift mechanism we may see kill times in the 55 area. Craig will be the first as mine is on its' way today but won't be installed for a few weeks.

RACNRAY

·
Silver member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sure you are quick for any non- assisted shifting style you practice, but setting up quick shifters thru the years I have had kill time as low as 50 milliseconds, which is not humanly possible to duplicate.

Depending on what the Indian tranny needs for clean and quick shifts, and due to the non-standard and highly neato "dog ring" shift mechanism we may see kill times in the 55 area. Craig will be the first as mine is on its' way today but won't be installed for a few weeks.

RACNRAY
Makes a huge difference for sure! 50 ms is fast!

·
Silver member
4,988 Posts
So once the kit is installed, do you still have the option to shift the traditional way or are you forced to "quick shift" it all the time?

·
Silver member
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ye
So once the kit is installed, do you still have the option to shift the traditional way or are you forced to "quick shift" it all the time?
Yes, the use is the same with the clutch. But if you want to take advantage of quick shifts, you have that ability.

·
Silver member
4,988 Posts
It sounds pretty cool, but it is pretty expensive at 472.00. I will be interested in seeing how you tuck and install all the wiring that comes with it.

·
Bronze member
1,645 Posts
YEEHAW!!!

·
Bronze member
1,645 Posts
Since the results of my stage 3 cams installation is in comparison to stock cams, I believe your comparison would be to Stage 2 cams that you have been running yes I'm correct, we will be very interested to hear and also you are seat of the pants comparison to the other cams that have found their way into your scoot!

·
Bronze member
1,645 Posts
Auto blip is an entirely different form of a "quick shifter" system.

The factories are equipping the modern skoots with this feature which does 2 different things to accomplish shifting, in either up or down or both.

First is the required momentary loss of power to the engine. To accomplish any shift the load on the engagement dogs and/or slots of the gear that is in use must be lessened as the gears need to be separated in order to move the next requested gear into engagement. On our TS111's gears are not moving side to side as found in the majority of other "constant mesh" trannys, "dog rings" are doing the engagement/disengagement. That momentary loss of power is accomplished by disrupting power to the ignition and/or the injectors. We are talking this "kill time" in milliseconds, in my tuning of quick shifters I have found different kill times for different gear shifts required, and every model of bike is different.

Auto blip is part of the electronics not found in common "quick shifters" as they only disrupt the above mentioned, but add into the shifting the "blipping" of the throttle much the same as we do it when down shifting, and auto is only used for downshifting.

Dynojet's quickshifter is a simple way to shorten shifting, no using the clutch, no need to roll of the throttle, keep ur hands off the clutch and the throttle at whatever position you want, and pull up on the shift lever, and snap ur fingers ur in the next gear quickly and smoothly.
You can still use normal shifting procedures as there may/may not be any detected "kill time", but it doesn't have any affect on normal shifting. Dynojet's system is NOT used nor has any affect on downshifting.

RACNRAY

·
Bronze member
2,166 Posts
What about any additional wear on the transmission, etc?

·
Bronze member
1,645 Posts
NOPE NONE NADA ZERO, and since every time the clutch is NOT used for upshifting, the life of the clutch and cable are extended!!!

NEATO!!!

RACNRAY

Reactions: Fidman
1 - 20 of 54 Posts