1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
Y a several people have done this

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think I'll leave mine alone. I gotta be able to leave quietly when I'm camping on road trips. But I do think it sounds nice to have a LITTLE rumble.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have the Stage 1 exhaust, the only cap seems to be around the cat, deep inside the muffler. I wonder what happens if I take out the baffle material?

·
Registered
553 Posts
That's right, I remember the thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took a good quality 1.25" hole saw with an extension and punched out the plug in the rear of the mufflers. It gives a slightly more authoritative sound.
I'd like to do this,will you feel it break loose? I'm a beginner and my skills are minimal. I just don't want to drill to far. Any more help is appreciated.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It still will affect it. If it's enough to really matter is another story. If your exhaust doesn't affect afr, why must you jet for new exhaust.
As long as the air filter/air box system is stock an exhaust mod will not affect MPG but in fact it enhances performance. Oh! and by the way you don't re-jet a fuel injected engine, that can only be done on a carbureted engine.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd like to do this,will you feel it break loose? I'm a beginner and my skills are minimal. I just don't want to drill to far. Any more help is appreciated.
You will need a drill, cordless or corded, a 12" extension and a good quality 1 1/4" bi-metal hole saw, I used a LENOX 1-1/4-in Bi-Metal Arbored Hole Saw Item # 348128 Model # 1772491 from Lowes
You will need to remove the stock mufflers. You can start from either end but the inlet end also has the catalytic converters that must be punched out or hole sawed so that you can gain access to the baffle plug. The cat. conv. is hard so let the hole saw do the work, don't rush it, it will saw through it. Once that is done, saw the baffle plug, then flip the muffler and do the other end baffle plug. Getting the pieces out of the mufflers requires shaking the mufflers, make sure that you get the plugs out. Having someone hold the mufflers upright while you're drilling makes the job easier. It truly not hard or complicated and I guarantee that you will enjoy the new sound. Let me know how you make out on this project.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As long as the air filter/air box system is stock an exhaust mod will not affect MPG but in fact it enhances performance. Oh! and by the way you don't re-jet a fuel injected engine, that can only be done on a carbureted engine.
I was talking about a carbed engine. I thought that was understood (didn't need to specify). With fuel injection you would need a fuel programmer like a pcv. I should of been more specific.

I meant that since on a carbed engine if you mod exhaust you have to rejet, so obviously there is some change to the air to fuel ratio when you mod exhaust. If that change is big enough to matter though, with doing this, is another thing.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts