Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Indian site, they have quick release saddlebag hardware. But they don't seem to have it for the Challenger. Does such a thing exist? Anyone know?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I thought I read they discontinued it because apparently owners were not closing properly? And losing bags? Not sure..

·
Registered
21 Posts
On the Indian site, they have quick release saddlebag hardware. But they don't seem to have it for the Challenger. Does such a thing exist? Anyone know?
Buddy has challenger. Took off the bags for some work and as it does not have a full valences rear fender like other thunder strokes. Looked like a bunch of crack! You will want to keep the bags on ....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buddy has challenger. Took off the bags for some work and as it does not have a full valences rear fender like other thunder strokes. Looked like a bunch of crack! You will want to keep the bags on ....
Yeah, but it would be super convenient to quickly remove them when cleaning the bike, working on it, etc.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My dealer had a set for the Challenger when I purchased my bike but I did read somewhere that if not done correctly the bags can come off. I almost lost bags on the Scout so I know how this can happen. Decided it is not that difficult to remove them when I need to. May end up getting a speed wrench for it if I do it often. So far I have only removed them to see how difficult it would be.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealer had a set for the Challenger when I purchased my bike but I did read somewhere that if not done correctly the bags can come off. I almost lost bags on the Scout so I know how this can happen. Decided it is not that difficult to remove them when I need to. May end up getting a speed wrench for it if I do it often. So far I have only removed them to see how difficult it would be.
Any idea if your dealer knows the part number they used? I'd like a set.

And my right side saddlebag came off on the freeway the other day. So it's possible even when using the factory bolts. LOL. It's lots of fun using locktite now to take them off and on. :rolleyes:🔫

Quick release would be much easier for me, hence the reason for this thread. I'll take my chances with them falling off...

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
There's a significant difference between the Scout and TS111 bags, but I don't know about the Challenger.

The Scout bags have a metal crescent that has to be positioned in a slot on the spool before the lever is pressed home. It's that crescent that supports the bag but it's an easy mistake to not get it positioned properly. It's usually then that the expanding grommet slowly works out of the spool and drops the bag.

The TS bikes don't have that crescent because the hard bags sit on the pipes. The rubber expanding grommets hold it in place but don't support the weight. The soft bags don't sit on the pipes and the only time I've seen a bag come off when touring with a bunch of Indians is one leather bag.

The Challenger bags look like they sit close to the pipes but I've no experience with them and don't know if they have the stand-offs on the pipes to support the hard bags.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
Just chased them up on partshark. The pipes do have the stand-offs. If it was my bike I wouldn't have any problems putting the quick release fittings on. It will be the same support system as the TS bikes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was also interested in quick-release for my Challenger, but once I realized that I had to pull the side panel off and unplug the harnesses to take the bags off, I tabled that idea.

I thought about getting some thumb screws or screws with a knob on the end, but then that might make it difficult to get certain items in and out of the bags. I think in the long run a 6mm T-handle will just be my best friend from now on.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,076 Posts
I was in the same boat. I've had my bags off half a dozen times so far and the bolts haven't caused me any grief. I usually just tighten them till they're snug and not torque them down. When I was first looking at the bike, I looked for the quick release hardware then saw how people were losing them on the road and others were sharing tales of them being stolen, I decided it wasn't worth that chance for 4 bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts