Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to be coming off of a 25 year love affair with Moto Guzzi's due to some recent shortcomings. I'm rather versed in performing my own maintenance due to the lack of local dealers and they're very easy to work on. I get a satisfaction out of it. I do have a couple questions if you don't mind. I'm currently leaning toward the Challenger.
1. How hard are oil changes on these bikes?
2. Coming from maintenance free drive shaft to belt drive is kindof nerve racking. What am I in store for here on replacing drive belts?
3. Are frequent valve adjustments needed?
4. What on earth were they thinking on the cable'd clutch?
5. Is there anything in general that I should be aware of that's not discussed by salespeople?

Thanks for your time.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I'm probably going to be coming off of a 25 year love affair with Moto Guzzi's due to some recent shortcomings. I'm rather versed in performing my own maintenance due to the lack of local dealers and they're very easy to work on. I get a satisfaction out of it. I do have a couple questions if you don't mind. I'm currently leaning toward the Challenger.
1. How hard are oil changes on these bikes?
2. Coming from maintenance free drive shaft to belt drive is kindof nerve racking. What am I in store for here on replacing drive belts?
3. Are frequent valve adjustments needed?
4. What on earth were they thinking on the cable'd clutch?
5. Is there anything in general that I should be aware of that's not discussed by salespeople?

Thanks for your time.
I don't own a Challenger, but worked at a dealership for over 4 years in the service department (left just before the Challenger's showed up at the dealerships. Oh, and I own a Guzzi.

1. Oil changes are oil changes. Really no different than your Guzzi.
2. You're not going to be replacing drive belts like you would be changing gear oil. A belt only needs changing if it's fraying or over stretched. Think over 100k miles.
3. You'd have to check the maintenance schedule. Will definitely be more labor intensive than our Guzzi's.
4. I can't answer that. But so is my Guzzi.
5. Not really sure. I guess have them go over the start up process if you don't have your FOB. I was always shocked at how many customer's said our salesmen never told them or they were so excited about their new bike and just forgot. There's a lot of new information coming at you at that time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't own a Challenger, but worked at a dealership for over 4 years in the service department (left just before the Challenger's showed up at the dealerships. Oh, and I own a Guzzi.

1. Oil changes are oil changes. Really no different than your Guzzi.
2. You're not going to be replacing drive belts like you would be changing gear oil. A belt only needs changing if it's fraying or over stretched. Think over 100k miles.
3. You'd have to check the maintenance schedule. Will definitely be more labor intensive than our Guzzi's.
4. I can't answer that. But so is my Guzzi.
5. Not really sure. I guess have them go over the start up process if you don't have your FOB. I was always shocked at how many customer's said our salesmen never told them or they were so excited about their new bike and just forgot. There's a lot of new information coming at you at that time.
Thanks for that information. I'm wondering if they use hydraulic (maintenance free) valves in these liquid cooled motors.

Also, how many arms/legs does one need to cough up for the first dealer service?

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
If your OK with Guzzi services, you will be in heaven with Indian. One of their claims to fame is them having longer and less intervals in comparison to others. So, non issue for you.

Belt requires Lil to no servicing. That's it's up side. It's down side is In regards to gearing changes and failure when something gets in it, which seldom happens in the riding that happens with this type of bike. Being a shaft guy, gear change was obviously not an issue, and I assume you won't be off roading your challenger. So that should be non issue for you.

Cable clutch also has its ups. One of them is more feel in my opinion.
Hydraulic clutches got popular due to having to multiply levers force due to newer bikes being more powerful thus needing heavier springs in the clutch basket making lever articulation more stout. The advent of BTL or and slipper clutches makes this less of an issue, allowing for a return to the cheaper, more feel, lower maintenance cable driven clutch. Yes, I said lower maintenance because in my opinion one fluid flush on a hydro clutch negates the super simple periodic lubrication and adjustment of cable clutches. Since I've never broken a cable,
The only up side to a hydro clutch in my experience is if bikes are identical otherwise, is the hydro has smoother lever feel, but that's also why it has less feel in regards to its friction points..
There is also less change in feel and the location of friction zone as the bike gets warm on cable clutch so, the ups V. Down now days should be non issue for most riders.

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Thanks for that information. I'm wondering if they use hydraulic (maintenance free) valves in these liquid cooled motors.

Also, how many arms/legs does one need to cough up for the first dealer service?
I haven't looked at the parts fiche in specific to the valve train just yet. But I am thinking they would be like the valves on the Scout's. Where they have tappets that can go out of spec and you would be replacing those.

As far as what a service costs... That all depends on what your local dealership charges for their labor rate. Some shops in the middle of no where charge something like $90p/hr and larger shops in the city might charge upwards of $120p/hr so it really just depends. Parts wise, it's usually just an oil change, lube cables, clean and grease levers, adjust cables, check belt tension, tire checks, etc. I think labor time per manufacturer flat rate might be around 2-2.5hrs.

·
Bronze member
2,182 Posts
Unlike the scouts and ftr engines. It looks like they are maintenance free. With a rocker arm style.

Unless there is an adjustment screw in the rocker arm like the older air cooled 4t bikes that the parts diagram isn’t showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
There's supposed to be hydraulic valve lash adjusters in the Challenger engine. Pretty much like the Victory engines had. SOHC with roller rocker arms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've had the Challenger for over a week now and it's a keeper. I'm having some weird electrical gremlins, like the chassis light and engine light coming on at times, but the dealer checked everything and it's fine. Just some hiccups and he said almost all challengers are having this issue and will probably need a re-flash programmed by Polaris. Here's a pic of my black pearl limited.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
To each their own on the clutch deal. I’ve had both I’ll stick with the cable if I have a choice. As far as changing oil goes. If you came from Harleys like I have. With 3 separate fluids to change. Indians are a piece of cake !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts