Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Scout in storage for the cold New York months, but I'm planning on taking it out to ride in a week since I'll be on spring break. After that week though, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to ride it before mid May. I thought I read somewhere that if you're not going to be riding for two weeks or more, that you should "store the bike" (add fuel stabilizer, attach to battery maintainer, etc...). Is that a good suggestion? How long can the bike go unridden before it should be stored? How long will my battery last? How long before it would need fuel stabilizer? etc... I'm not too far from home, so I could and probably will go home periodically and ride, but in the event that I don't, are there any risks to leaving the bike unstored and unridden for an extended period of time?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've honestly have never "stored" a bike of mine.
And I've gone months without riding!

If I know I'm not going to ride (like during winter months) I make sure the tank is full.
This reduces the chances of condensation.

And most recently, I use a battery tender.

I've never had any trouble.

·
Silver member
3,398 Posts
These modern machines have electrical functions that operate full time even when the bike is off. I like to use a battery tender if not riding for a month or more.

The blended fuels are not as stable as the gas of old so I do use a stabilizer if not riding for the same amount of time. I doubt the fuel will go bad in a month or two but it costs little to be safe. Check your tire pressures.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,706 Posts
I work month on/month off.
So every other month, my bike is stored.
I fill the tank with non ethanol fuel. (I've found that ethanol fuel just doesn't keep as well. Even if I've topped off with pure gasoline, less than half a tank of ethanol gas spoils. It just doesn't run as well until I burn it all out.) If non-ethanol fuel is not available, I advise adding fuel stabilizer.
I plug in the battery tender and I'm gone.
When I return, it always fires right up. I check the air pressure and I'm off...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks for the advice guys. If I'm not able to ride for a while, I'll add some fuel stabilizer. I think the battery will last for a while.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
When I was "on the road" working, I would be gone for as long as 10 months at a time.

The only thing I would do when I left was to put some stabilizer in the gas tank and ride it about 20 miles or so to let it mix and get into the entire fuel system along with hooking up my battery tender.

10 years doing that and over 100,000 miles and never had any problems.

Reactions: Registered Coonass
1 - 8 of 8 Posts