Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you Guys/Girls that have bought the base model Challenger, do you feel like your missing out on the extras that come with the DH/Limited Challenger, IE: Cornering ABS/Traction control? I know the other stuff can be added on so is there really any-other difference between the models that really change the riding experience?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,099 Posts
As a limited owner, I've only really noticed the traction control once. My guess is, it's there in the times you really need it as an extra safety precaution. (IE, prevent you from over-reacting.)

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Registered
41 Posts
For you Guys/Girls that have bought the base model Challenger, do you feel like your missing out on the extras that come with the DH/Limited Challenger, IE: Cornering ABS/Traction control? I know the other stuff can be added on so is there really any-other difference between the models that really change the riding experience?
Nope, not a bit. The way I look at it, that's all stuff that makes the bike less fun. I've spent 35+ years making motorcycles do everything I can think of, and I bought this one partly because of its power and torque. Why would I pay $7,000 or more for technology to tone it down? I WANT it to scare me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The stuff I didn’t get at delivery I’m adding. Remote locks, highway bars, puddle light. Part of making it mine. The Bosch imu, not sure if I’ll miss it.

·
Founding member
458 Posts
On the final leg of my trip home from Sturgis, about five miles from home, on a road I've ridden hundreds of times, I rounded a corner without seeing a patch of sand that someone had spilled on the road. By the time I saw it, I was in it. My bike slid sideways through the turn, and before I could react, the computer adjusted the power to the rear wheel, and the bike was immediately back under my control. My friend was following me, and he thought I was going down for sure. The smart lean technology saved my butt, and likely paid for itself in that one instance. It was worth it for me.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,099 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. Those are the kinds of stories that I was expecting to hear. The computer can react much faster than the average person. Sure, if you have a bunch of training on how to deal with situations like that, you may be ok but for the great many of us, this tech might mean the difference. It's really difficult to determine if it's worth it until you hear things like this. Thank you for sharing and safe riding!!!

·
Bronze member
2,572 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. Those are the kinds of stories that I was expecting to hear. The computer can react much faster than the average person. Sure, if you have a bunch of training on how to deal with situations like that, you may be ok but for the great many of us, this tech might mean the difference. It's really difficult to determine if it's worth it until you hear things like this. Thank you for sharing and safe riding!!!
The bike‘s computer can react faster than anyone. Action is always faster than reaction. By the time a rider senses the tire sliding, he/she has to process that, then initiate a reaction. At a minimum, even with a fast reaction, you’d still be looking at seconds.

·
Registered
187 Posts
On the final leg of my trip home from Sturgis, about five miles from home, on a road I've ridden hundreds of times, I rounded a corner without seeing a patch of sand that someone had spilled on the road. By the time I saw it, I was in it. My bike slid sideways through the turn, and before I could react, the computer adjusted the power to the rear wheel, and the bike was immediately back under my control. My friend was following me, and he thought I was going down for sure. The smart lean technology saved my butt, and likely paid for itself in that one instance. It was worth it for me.
Precisely why I bought a Dark Horse instead of base model (besides not wanting the silver color). Safety related things are worth every penny to me. Praise God you are ok.
🙏

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the base model, but I ordered it with extras. $500 navigation (for the weather overlay specifically) , puddle light, passenger floorboards, backrest/ luggage rack and reduced reach bars. After I took delivery, I've added lit war bonnet, highway bars front and rear (added leather caddy/drink holder to rear) and 16" windshield. To the front highway bars I added after market leather lowers.
If I could I would add the Bosch Smart lean technology.
My only complaint is the $500 navigation unit. I'd rather pay to have Android Auto and run Google maps. I use Bluetooth from cell phone for music, specifically YouTube Music, and the data for name of song and band does not show on screen. It worked fine with Google Play Music but that service ended and moved to YouTube Music. So I'm waiting for Andoid Auto to come to Indian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts