Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See topic, I'm used to being in lower gears from my previous motorcycles but I've caught snippets of information that people cruise (let's say at 70kmph/approx 45mph) in high gear.
When do you shift up? When do you shift down during a typical ride?

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
466 Posts
If I'm cruising at 45 mph, I'm mostly in 5th. And depending on traffic level, even at 55 mph I'll still be cruising in 5th. If there's no traffic and I don't need immediate throttle response, I'll be in 6th by 50 mph. Although with this bike, even at 50 mph in 6th, the throttle response is good enough to overtake or get you out of trouble.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
466 Posts
In town up to 45mph generally no higher than 3rd for both instant throttle response and engine braking,4th up to 55 and reserve 5th and 6th for open highway.
Do you have an aftermarket tune? Seems like the bike would be awfully twitchy going 45 in 2nd or 3rd with that high of an RPM. At least to me, the bike has plenty of torque in 5th cruising at 45 mph and just over 3k rpms if I'm recalling correctly.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Interesting different styles.... I spend most of my time in the twisty hills at about 60mph, generally in 4th gear.... Hit 5th if there is a fairly long straight.... Rarely get into 6th (see it as overdrive), mostly for freeway....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting! Thanks for the replies guys, I've mostly been in third gear up until 45mph but I guess I can go a gear or 2 higher in most cases. Always thought I'd stall if I let the rpm go too low.

No wonder my mpg was so bad

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
466 Posts
No wonder my mpg was so bad
Conversely I guess this is why I've been getting 40-42 MPG haha. But also living in Florida on flat, straight 2-4 lane roads everywhere, I do nothing but cruise 55-70 mph in 6th gear.

·
Registered
303 Posts
At 45 I'm usually in 4'th, but could go to 5'th depending on the type of road I'm on. Of course I'm on a Chieftain not an FTR

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
I haven't gotten to 5th or 6th gear yet, and am still waiting to break 45 mph...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Whatever the bike tells me is where I sit...the new tune is very smooth now so no hunting what so ever...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yesterday on my way to and from work I cruised in 4-5th on the straight roads, shifting down for the more curvy bits of the ride, it did feel a lot smoother being in high gear for the straight parts.
Thanks for the comments btw

1 - 20 of 37 Posts