Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got some Indian grips( black and chrome ) for my 2019 chieftain. My question is what kind of glue are you guys using on the left grip? The instructions say to use a Indian kit which costs 60 something bucks. I’d rather not have to spend that kind of money on what I know can be substituted for something way cheaper...thanks in advance for the reply’s. .

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Depends on the exact composition of the grip.
Heated grips (oxfords) were the hardest to find a bond to hold the type of rubberized plastic used to make the grip.
But in your case a good rubber cement should work like pro hondas grip cement which works well on unheated grips.
Ive even heard many times reg hold hair spray works but how long it holds???
Pro Honda grip cement i can say it bonds super well cost is like 3.50- 4 bucks
Wont let go. Ive used it and had to cut grips off with razor when removing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about honda grip cement..wasn’t sure if it would hold the plastic inter part of the indian grip to the handle bar....I’m pretty sure the Honda cement is for rubber grips.

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Yes thats the thing.
if its not rubber and a rubberized plastic as in the oxfords I had which were like a polypropolene something or other it wont stick well bonding with it.
if you could find out exactly the material they are made of you can do what I ended up doing.
went to Home Dopey and looked at the different bonding cements they have like loctite etc and look at their makeup and what they will bond to. They had a lot of different bonders that you could research thru the package and online there at the store.
bring your phone do your research there and im pretty confident you will find a good bonder for your grips.
60 bucks is rediculous as in all the indian chit they over price.
Indian makes and sells you a really nice motorcycle and then its bend over time after that for everything you do with it.
Harley does same thing but ywt somehow I feel Indian is worse.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Lots of places make grip glue. The 2019 grips have the new bayonet fitting into the switch block and don't need to be screwed to the bars like the early models did. The glue fills the gaps so thin stuff like superglue won't do it. Grip glue is usually thick, about honey consistency, so lots of craft glues will also work OK.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Indian grips also have a retaining screw on the clutch side, so the glue is only there to keep it from wiggling. I just removed mine to replace with Avons.

·
German Rider
1,732 Posts
The Indian grips also have a retaining screw on the clutch side, so the glue is only there to keep it from wiggling. I just removed mine to replace with Avons.
No, sorry, but no. Only until 2017. Since 2018 with the newer handlebar switches, there is no screw on the left side anymore, only glued.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, sorry, but no. Only until 2017. Since 2018 with the newer handlebar switches, there is no screw on the left side anymore, only glued.

Cu,
Sven
I have 2019 and have a screw on left side. Just replaced stock glued grips with black and chrome grips, did not use any glue at all. Grips are great and very secure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called the dealer and they told me they use Gorilla Glue...so I bought some and used it. Works great and only like $3 a tube. 👍👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts