Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride a 2013 HD Ultra Limited 110th Anniversary. I went to an Indian demo day in Kansas City a while back and rode the Roadmaster. I was a little more than impressed, however I'm very skeptical that I would receive a fair shake should I try to trade my bike for the RM. A few things come to mind on this, one being the relatively new model year of my bike and also the updates HD did to the 2014 Rushmore bikes that will most likely drive down the value of my 2013.

Have any of you new RM owners made the move and traded a late model HD? If so what kind of deal did you end up getting? Did Indian move any at all on the retail of the RM or was it too new for bargaining? I know Victory will move their retail around, but haven't heard on the Indians. Anyway... whatever info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just did the same thing as you are talking about yesterday. I had a bad ass Ultra CVO 2010, looked great ran great and I put a lot of work into it and loved it. But, I purchases a Vintage last year and fell in love with the motor, ran strong and I was impressed so the Road Master locked me in for two up touring with the same comforts power and style. However in your case you need to ride the hell out of your CVO for two years and then make the move after you have shaken some of the money out of the CVO.

;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's not the CVO so I don't have the money you had invested in your 2010. Still I tend to agree with you on holding on to it a bit longer. I just think I would take a beating right now on a trade. If HD hadn't upgraded the damn bike a year after I bought mine, I would feel a little more confident. I have the 110th Anniversary Edition which is limited to 3750 units, but still think I may need to be a little more patient. If they come out with a Roadmaster in that vintage green and cream color though, that may likely push me over the limit of reasonable decision making!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,607 Posts
I currently ride a 2013 HD Ultra Limited 110th Anniversary. I went to an Indian demo day in Kansas City a while back and rode the Roadmaster. I was a little more than impressed, however I'm very skeptical that I would receive a fair shake should I try to trade my bike for the RM. A few things come to mind on this, one being the relatively new model year of my bike and also the updates HD did to the 2014 Rushmore bikes that will most likely drive down the value of my 2013.

Have any of you new RM owners made the move and traded a late model HD? If so what kind of deal did you end up getting? Did Indian move any at all on the retail of the RM or was it too new for bargaining? I know Victory will move their retail around, but haven't heard on the Indians. Anyway... whatever info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
First, the best time to purchase a RM is now. This is about the only time you can get the dealers to bring some of the pricing down. The way the RMs are going if you wait till spring everything will be list at least. Second, don't trade in the Harley. Hold onto it til this spring and sell it yourself. The Indian dealer in STL is having a hard time just getting a RM together to make it to the showroom before it is sold. The one RM that did make to the floor was sold that weekend. I got mine for list plus $1000 for shipping and prep. All my options were free including install. Pipes, shifter, and back rest. Dean E.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 14 HD redo hit everyone by surprise and instantly devalued pre 14 bikes. I had an awesome 11 SG stage 2 set up perfectly. I sold it in September before too many post 14 bikes are out there. I now love my Chieftain more and am glad I did it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Keep it for a year or two.I have a 07 CVO Ultra and like it.I'am keeping it,but love my new Roadmaster even better.(red& cream).Like the others said,the Roadmasters will be gone in the spring when everyone catches on just like the Scouts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If money matters most then selling it private is the way to go, you will get a lot more for your bike. However, some people are loaded and can't be bothered so then the stealer is the way to go.
Funny you mentioning the color combo pushing you over the edge. I feel the same way about black and red two tone...hopefully we both get our colors. The again if the time comes and they don't have it in red/black, I buy it black and ad my own red touches...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I traded a 2013 road glide with about 19000 miles. The dealer gave me $17500. I thought $16500 trade was fair a couple of months ago and harley in Daytona offered me $12500 for 2015 road glide. Indian gave me an extra $1000 for being a marine which was nice. Bike is about 6 weeks old now with 2500 miles. I love the chieftain more each day......harley lost sale due to trying to stick a big adjustment downward on 13 bike. They are not the only show now!!!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
OP....I'm looking at a similar situation as you. I have a Rushmore 2014 Road King...14 months old...8,000 miles. I hit the 3 Indian dealers here in the Phoenix area last Wednesday, looking at a deal on a '15 Chieftain. Two of them started out at $10,800 OTD plus my RK, then came down to $8700, which is still more than I can swallow; still waiting on a price from the 3rd dealer. Going to counter back and try one more time, otherwise will have to get more aggressive on selling my RK myself and look for a pre-owned Chieftain. I'd think you'd do better on your Ultra Limited trade as it should be more in demand, but HD trade values are not too great now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The dealer offer for trades factor a very hefty profit for them when they sell your bike. The trade is 100% stacked in their favor. If you do trade, strip every add on off and reinstall the factory stock stuff. They don't give you a penny on the dollar for add ons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe go on some HD rides and find people that would be interested in buying your HD?
As others said compare the KBB value against what dealers offer as trade in.
Put some miles on her and the RM will just get more refined.
I have 2009 10th anniversary Vision with 74,000 on her. I doubt I would get a good value for her on a RM but my plan is to wait and try the new and improved Vision. Victory is updating their whole line now that Indian is where they want it to be.
Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts

It's a tough decision to trade or sell yourself. In my area, trades have been at wholesale for Harley's...even my local HD dealer has probably 50 unsold, new 2014's on the floor. He is discounting heavily to get rid of them! I always try to sell my own and recently sold a Dyna Custom and my wife's Sportster 1200 Custom...all for near KBB's retail. It's funny how shoppers will pay near retail from a private sale and expect a better price from a dealer. Anyway, those sales will help pay for the 2 Scouts my wife and I have on order. The one thing you don't want to overlook is the reduced sales tax you will pay if you trade, so include that in your decision. As for discounts on Indians in my area, there are none. I don't anticipate seeing any this winter either (per the owner of my dealership). Once the supply vs demand evens out and we get a few more dealers to compete, then discounting will become more common. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I got book value when I traded in my 2010 Streetglide for a 2014 Chieftain....you should get book value for your bike as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dealer offer for trades factor a very hefty profit for them when they sell your bike. The trade is 100% stacked in their favor. If you do trade, strip every add on off and reinstall the factory stock stuff. They don't give you a penny on the dollar for add ons.
I agree, I traded my 06 Ultra with 67,000 miles and the dealer offered me the same 6500 that the harley dealer did. 4 days later they got a 10,995 price tag on it,,, lol

·
Registered
504 Posts

Famm.. My model was the 09 ultra, book is 15,300. Trade is 11, I got 12,300 plus 10% off anything for that day, so I got the stage 1, six shooter tips, & some other stuff. They have it listed for 14,900. I would have liked to of gotten closer to 15, but it just wasn't going to happen, I did have another dealer I was working with but wouldn't budge off of 11 for trade. I figured it was 12,300 that I wasn't going to have to pay sales tax on which was like getting another 600 bucks off of list. The dealer would not budge from list on the RM. I pondered selling it myself just like others have said, but in the end for me less hassle, less headache. Done deal & absolutely do not regret it one bit. Smooth as glass for the RM!! Will there be bumps in the road ahead, sure there's bound to be with a new line, this is where it will get dicey, how well will Polaris step up to the plate with new issues. Good luck to you my friend with whichever way you decide to go, you did the exact same thing I did, rode one & the impression was etched from that point on. Good luck & let us know how you got along with your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've given it a lot of thought... I think I'm going to ride my UL for a while yet. It's been a great bike so far. Already put over 10,000 miles on her without a single issue. The thought of taking $17,500 (or less) for it makes me break out in hives. If I feel the notion to make a move, I'm going to list it myself and try to get near retail. I appreciate all of you chiming in with your perspective on it. I'm going to definitely stay tuned to this and other Indian forums, so you guys keep chatting it up about your likes and dislikes. For me ultimately, if I go Indian it will be the RM so I'm most curious to read what people have to say about that particular model.

In the mean time it's not like I don't have a very capable steed in the paddock...

My_Bike_Small.jpg

·
Registered
958 Posts
Your probably going to take a pretty good hit on trade, my opinion is try and sell it outright and then deal from there. It's really up to the dealer whether they want to sell a bike at a discount or not. Hope your ex military as that will save you a thousand bucks off the top. I went to trade my loaded chieftain with corbin tourpak and they quoted me 7k to boot, which I thought was not going to happen. He told me to ride it and then come back in two years as the deal would be pretty much the same then. I only have 3k miles on her, but it's in the single digits now, so I had to quit riding, I know I am a pussy, geez 8 degrees and I can't stand a little cold wtf right ?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've given it a lot of thought... I think I'm going to ride my UL for a while yet. It's been a great bike so far. Already put over 10,000 miles on her without a single issue. The thought of taking $17,500 (or less) for it makes me break out in hives. If I feel the notion to make a move, I'm going to list it myself and try to get near retail. I appreciate all of you chiming in with your perspective on it. I'm going to definitely stay tuned to this and other Indian forums, so you guys keep chatting it up about your likes and dislikes. For me ultimately, if I go Indian it will be the RM so I'm most curious to read what people have to say about that particular model.

In the mean time it's not like I don't have a very capable steed in the paddock...
That sounds like a good plan.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts