Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
...my thought is that anyone that is interested in the RM trunk or other accessory may have done their homework and would know what tools to bring along...in or out... if a thief wants it is gone...

·
Registered
853 Posts
seat bolts are in, trunk screws sometimes but not always. Trunk is off most of the time. If you ever needed to pick tour bike up using the back up and push while lifting method you may want to use the seat has a hand hold, not much good if not secured properly.

·
Bronze member
1,839 Posts
seat bolts are in, trunk screws sometimes but not always. Trunk is off most of the time. If you ever needed to pick tour bike up using the back up and push while lifting method you may want to use the seat has a hand hold, not much good if not secured properly.
100% agree. My seat was off yesterday, I was in the garage working on my 17 RM. Tight area. Better half's old 94 Ford Probe next to me, Christmas boxes and other items in the tight garage at the moment. I went to move the RM back n forth a tad to reposition for better right side access for the horn. While moving it I slipped on some leaves, slowly dropped her down between me and the Ford Probe.Seat was already off. It took my achy kneed self 4 attempts to get the heavy beast up. I am 5'7'' about 180 lbs. But bad knees, bad shoulder and an injury to my right foot. I finally locked the steering and got her up. No damage to the bike or car it was such a slow downfall while I held it as it went slowly.

Now me, on the other hand, stopped all work and quit for the day to recoup my knees. About to regroup and install m new Buffalo horn. So yes it can be easier if your seat is on. I used the taught method from videos, though improvised as I was in such a tight space between the car and my bike. Finally worked! no harm no foul thank God

Reactions: TexasRain

·
Rider
635 Posts
I leave mine in... I've had enough stuff disappear out of locked cars to have a general mistrust in humanity. Locks keep an honest man honest, and also if your stuff is a bigger PITA to steal than the next guy's, then you have a better chance of keeping yours.

·
Registered
231 Posts
mine are out, and I haven't had any issues

Reactions: Chuck in NH

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have left the screws out of the trunk mounts. I've never had a problem, usually cover the bike at night when I travel.
I think that the side seat bolts provide a ground to the seat heater. I bought some heavy thumb screws for the 3 seat bolts so I can easily remove the seat without tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have ridden many miles and had many overnight adventures with various bikes that have quick mount trunks, saddle bags and removable driver backrests. I have never had the safety bolts in any of them, and haven't had anything stolen yet. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have never given it a second thought.
Likewise, I've been cross country a few times and never had a problem. These are expensive pieces but if I were going to steal something, I'd steal the whole bike. You can't go through life worrying about pieces and parts. Also, it's just a couple screws, hardly Fort Knox.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts