Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone remove the security screws from the trunk latches and leave them out? Don't plan on removing it very often. Also the front seat screws, in or out.
Thanks for input

·
Bronze member
1,838 Posts
I have left mine in. Currently I have the trunk off, (added some light strips and brake modulator) but I usually leave mine on. I guess the only concern would be a thief maybe? I really don't take mine on and off a lot, so it doesn't take much longer for the two trunk screws IMO. Not sure of any other good or bad reasons for or against. Maybe others will chime in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like to think that I could access my battery anytime/anywhere - to receive or give someone a jump start. So I make sure I carry the Allen head wrenches needed for removing the trunk and seat.

The seat screws are fairly heavy duty so I assume they are structural. They are easy to remove/replace, with the right wrench. I make sure they are in.

The trunk latches - I have one security screw in and one out. They can be a pain to line up both to get them back in. But I feel comfortable with at least one in.

Folks have pointed out that the rear seat bolt can be accessed via inside the trunk, by pulling out the power receptacle, which gives access to the seat bolt with a long wrench. I tried it once, got frustrated, and just pulled the trunk.

·
Rider
471 Posts
Generally, I leave them out. I ride most the season solo, but will throw on the stock seat and trunk if the wife is going on the weekend.

When going on an overnight road trip where the bike is left in a public area I put them in. I figure if they want to steal just the trunk make 'em put in a little effort.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the input, I relocated the truck so now I think I can get to the fender screw from the front. I also plan on carrying the massive tool kit provided by Indian.:)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Always in. Small security, but security. Agree with Dan F, why in the world would you take the seat bolts out? On a side note, how do you like your new RM?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does everyone remove the security screws from the trunk latches and leave them out? Don't plan on removing it very often. Also the front seat screws, in or out.
Thanks for input
Personally if you want to remove the trunk the screws are not hard to remove, worth leaving on to detore someone possibly removing very quickly, anything to slow a thief down. Same with your seat, not sure why it would benefit by removing the screws..

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm on a Chieftain but have the security screws for my passenger backrest. I often leave the screws out when riding locally (this presupposes that I've removed them for some reason). If I'm going on a trip where the bike will be sitting unattended in a hotel or other parking lots, I put them in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm on a Chieftain but have the security screws for my passenger backrest. I often leave the screws out when riding locally (this presupposes that I've removed them for some reason). If I'm going on a trip where the bike will be sitting unattended in a hotel or other parking lots, I put them in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I guess I just don't have much faith in people in general. People steal cars coming out of convenience stores. These items are to pricey to replace plus on my Vintage I have stained my seats, bags and backrest. I just don't want to make it easy for them. I had people have things stolen in a crowded bike event. Dont get me wrong I trust my fellow riders, Ive left helmets, glasses, and other items on my bike to enjoy an event or have a meal with no problem. I normally have a rider on both bikes so no reason to leave the screws out.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seat screws out would have been a convenience. They will be in place.
New RM is great only put about 55 miles on it before the weather went cold. Thus its time for upgrades.

·
Bronze member
1,427 Posts
I have ridden many miles and had many overnight adventures with various bikes that have quick mount trunks, saddle bags and removable driver backrests. I have never had the safety bolts in any of them, and haven't had anything stolen yet. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have never given it a second thought.

Reactions: Chuck in NH

·
Registered
930 Posts
I leave mine in. Not so sure about someone stealing the trunk - it weighs in over 25kg empty, my concern is someone doing something stupid like lifting the locking mechanism and the trunk bouncing off (although it would take a decent pothole I must confess) and causing damage. If you need to do the cleaning then you are close to the right tools anyway. On the seat bolts, again leave mine in - whilst I understand the desire to get under the seat - I don't want any one else to get there either.

·
Registered
234 Posts
noticed that once I take the trunk off for some reason and doesn't go back on until the Misses comes for a ride. Then I put it all together with security screws. Read a post from a fellow here that come out of a store just as someone was trying to steal his trunk. I am guessin that this is a rare event but it shows that it DOES happen. I don't wanna be the 1 in a million that is unlucky ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for input
I left my trunk latch screws intact. They are easy to remove and provide security so some knucklehead doesn't walk off with your 3k dollar tour pack.

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks for the input, I relocated the truck so now I think I can get to the fender screw from the front. I also plan on carrying the massive tool kit provided by Indian.:)
LOL, Massive tool kit supplied. Love it. Oh yea, mine are in.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts