Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an appointment with Russell to get a seat made using their ride in service and I’m trying to decide if I should go with the Russell back rest or just use the Indian back rest. Which is better?

Or any complaints with the Russell backrest or Indian backrest on the Russell seat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a built-in backrest from Russell. Not issues with it but it doesn't look as good as a top slide backrest in my opinion. It probably depends on the type of seat as well. Since the Chieftain seat is a two piece the backrest slides in to the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have a built-in backrest from Russell. Not issues with it but it doesn't look as good as a top slide backrest in my opinion. It probably depends on the type of seat as well. Since the Chieftain seat is a two piece the backrest slides in to the passenger seat.
Funny, I actually like the way your seat looks. I saw the Indian backrest on the Russell seat and it looked like it was too small in proportion to the seat. But like you said, your seat is a two piece seat and I’m getting a one piece seat.

How does it look to you?

The Russell seat and Russell back rest

The Russell seat and Indian backrest

·
Rider
682 Posts
I have an appointment with Russell to get a seat made using their ride in service and I’m trying to decide if I should go with the Russell back rest or just use the Indian back rest. Which is better?

Or any complaints with the Russell backrest or Indian backrest on the Russell seat?

Are you having Russell build you a 1 piece or 2 piece now that you have a trunk on your Chieftain?

·
Registered
160 Posts
No doubt the Russell backrest is bigger and the Indian one does look too small. I wish they made the Russell backrest as a top slide for my particular seat. I would go with the Russell backrest just for the size & shape.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you having Russell build you a 1 piece or 2 piece now that you have a trunk on your Chieftain?
I bought a used Roadmaster seat cheap from eBay. I’m having that modified by Russel rather than using my stock two piece seat.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No doubt the Russell backrest is bigger and the Indian one does look too small. I wish they made the Russell backrest as a top slide for my particular seat. I would go with the Russell backrest just for the size & shape.
Is that only because you don’t like the look of the cutout in the seat? Any other reasons? I’m leaning towards the Russell back rest but I want to make sure I understand any reasonings why someone might not like it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm definitely not a fan of the look of the cut out. Also, I can't go for the solo look and still utilize my backrest since it slides in to the passenger seat.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
428 Posts
One consideration is do you have a trunk? If you ride solo, what kind of bag/luggage do you put in the back seat. I use a Kuryakyn Momentun bag, which is curved to fit the space and is a tight fit with the Indian backrest. Does the Russell take up more space?

·
Registered
2019 Chieftain Limited
62 Posts
I have an appointment with Russell to get a seat made using their ride in service and I’m

trying to decide if I should go with the Russell back rest or just use the Indian back rest. Which is better?

I just want to say I have the Russell day long seat on my 2019 chieftain I just brought a grasshopper backrest which I’m gonna have them modify it. I enjoy the seat I spoke to Jay about the backrest and there go to modify that to.
020D1DE3-3F10-4688-B6BA-9CB639972E00.jpeg

·
Registered
141 Posts

I went with the Russell. Very comfortable and the shape gives the better half more leg room. Plus I like the way it folds down out of the way.
Driver seat is low, 30” inseam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One consideration is do you have a trunk? If you ride solo, what kind of bag/luggage do you put in the back seat. I use a Kuryakyn Momentun bag, which is curved to fit the space and is a tight fit with the Indian backrest. Does the Russell take up more space?
I have the Indian trunk and I’m using a Road Master seat as the base for Russell to modify.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just want to say I have the Russell day long seat on my 2019 chieftain I just brought a grasshopper backrest which I’m gonna have them modify it. I enjoy the seat I spoke to Jay about the backrest and there go to modify that to. View attachment 623974
OK Sik Wil, I have all kinds of questions.....

It looks like your seat is setup to use the Indian backrest bracket under the seat, is that correct?

How did you decide to go with the grasshopper backrest instead of going with the Russell backrest?

How are they modifying the backrest for you?

Is there a reason why you are going with grasshopper other than price?

I noticed the leather tank piece looks like it matches the seat. Did Russell make that for you?

Questions, questions, questions......

Nice looking seat

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I went with the Russell. Very comfortable and the shape gives the better half more leg room. Plus I like the way it folds down out of the way.
Driver seat is low, 30” inseam.

Wow, it looks like you had Russell combine two of their different seat patterns into one. Did you use their ride in service or did you ship your seat to them? Did you come up with the pattern?

That step between the drivers and passenger seat looks taller than I’ve seen before. Is that because of your inseam?

My inseam is 29.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, it looks like you had Russell combine two of their different seat patterns into one. Did you use their ride in service or did you ship your seat to them? Did you come up with the pattern?

That step between the drivers and passenger seat looks taller than I’ve seen before. Is that because of your inseam?

My inseam is 29.

Yes it’s a combination of the half moon and diamond pattern. I saw another forum member with it on his RDL and I requested it on my order.
As for the step I would yes it is because I’m vertically challenged.
Oh and I did ship it. I live in NE Tennessee.

·
Registered
2019 Chieftain Limited
62 Posts
OK Sik Wil, I have all kinds of questions.....

It looks like your seat is setup to use the Indian backrest bracket under the seat, is that correct?

How did you decide to go with the grasshopper backrest instead of going with the Russell backrest?

How are they modifying the backrest for you?

Is there a reason why you are going with grasshopper other than price?

I noticed the leather tank piece looks like it matches the seat. Did Russell make that for you?

Questions, questions, questions......

Nice looking seat

That is correct I do have the set up for the bracket underneath to see I went with the grasshopper because the price but when I originally got to see done I didn’t wanna back rest I didn’t like the big cut in the seat when you didn’t have a back rest in and Jay at Russell cycles was like you can use the original Indian backrest anyway. They’re going to modify it by adding their cushion and padding to the back rest and make it a little bit bigger and yes the tank strap was done by them I said everything to them seat tour pack back rest all of it they did everything

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is correct I do have the set up for the bracket underneath to see I went with the grasshopper because the price but when I originally got to see done I didn’t wanna back rest I didn’t like the big cut in the seat when you didn’t have a back rest in and Jay at Russell cycles was like you can use the original Indian backrest anyway. They’re going to modify it by adding their cushion and padding to the back rest and make it a little bit bigger and yes the tank strap was done by them I said everything to them seat tour pack back rest all of it they did everything
Do you expect the seat back in the next month or so? Like you I like the look of the cutout when the backrest isn’t there. But It looks OK to me when the backrest is there.

I’d really like to see how the Indian backrest looks when they are done. I have an appointment for the ride in service in about a month and it would be helpful to see what their modfifed Indian backrest looks like.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just want to say I have the Russell day long seat on my 2019 chieftain I just brought a grasshopper backrest which I’m gonna have them modify it. I enjoy the seat I spoke to Jay about the backrest and there go to modify that to. View attachment 623974
What is your inseam? Mine is only 29. Trying to get an idea of how big the step will be behind my seat to the passenger seat. If the step is big I might not need a back rest.

·
Registered
2019 Chieftain Limited
62 Posts
Do you expect the seat back in the next month or so? Like you I like the look of the cutout when the backrest isn’t there. But It looks OK to me when the backrest is there.

I’d really like to see how the Indian backrest looks when they are done. I have an appointment for the ride in service in about a month and it would be helpful to see what their modfifed Indian backrest looks like.

I will be speaking with jay today about my production date for the backrest
What is your inseam? Mine is only 29. Trying to get an idea of how big the step will be behind my seat to the passenger seat. If the step is big I might not need a back rest.

my inseam is 30. It’s going to be a adjustment for the first few miles for sure.

·
Registered
2019 Chieftain Limited
62 Posts

Sent u a PM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts