Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I will be attempting to this myself soon. For those who have done this, are people using the recommended torque recommendations or are they doing it by feel? From the searches I've done the recommended torque settings outlined by Indian are too much and causing some bolts to be stripped? I would love to hear some suggestions.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
410 Posts
Hey guys I will be attempting to this myself soon. For those who have done this, are people using the recommended torque recommendations or are they doing it by feel? From the searches I've done the recommended torque settings outlined by Indian are too much and causing some bolts to be stripped? I would love to hear some suggestions.

When doing an oil change on an aircraft engine I use a torque wrench, and on those things you don't have to worry about the spec'd torque being too much for the castings and threads, they are built for it. But a motorcycle I look at as not warranting that level of effort, and tighten by feel I think is appropriate. The worst that can happen is it might start to leak, and if so, that will get noticed.

Biggest issue I found with the oil change was getting the oil. Your local cycle shop is not going to have it unless your local shop is an Indian dealer.

·
Rider
1,257 Posts
I’ve been doing all my own oil changes including the 500 mile change. I also have been doing my own fluid changes on my Harleys over the past 45 years. To answer your question, I don’t torque the drain plugs, I tighten by hand, then snug with the ratchet, about an 1/8 turn. Never had an issue or a leak. I also replace the crush washers at each oil change.

·
Rider
1,233 Posts
Just changed this past weekend.
Had Dealer do first oil change so we fitted a 6mm on a small ratchet and tried to put some force to tighten and felt threads were not gimped. All felt solid so continued to loosen and drop oil.
When tightening up tightened by hand to what we felt was decent tightness and folalowed up with good torque wrench at 15 ft lbs.
Absolutely no problems and shouldnt be as long as someone didnt compromise threads prior at last oil change.
What will kill these threads is going wrong way initially tightening instead of loosen or ham fisted tightening.
I am very confident the threads in the drain holes are ok.
This is on a 2019 built after Feb 2019
Holding 6 quarts oil.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I used torque wrench on my old Yamaha when I did the oil changes, after just a couple times finding it very tight to get loose again I quit doing that.
Never used a torque wrench on oil plugs of the Scout. Only snugged up after finger tight.
Doesn’t take much, you only need to squeeze against the copper washers.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Filter: Hand tight (touch surfaces and then 1/2 to 3/4 turn). Drain plug: finger tight and then snug it up until you “feel” the crush washer “move”. Watch it after running the engine and if dry, watch it a couple more times after a real ride. If you find a Small leak Or done sweating, just snug it up a bit more and you’ll be super fine (y) :)

Reactions: Quangtungnguyen

·
Bronze member
1,462 Posts
Tighten drain plugs by hand,and only w/Allen wrench. but if skeptical, just go 4-5lbs less torque spec setting w/bit. After 50+ yrs never stripped any and no leaks. FWIW, I’ve used the same crush washer over a few times. However the Indian oil kit for Scout w/15w-60 oil comes w/everything you need including (2)new crush washers.

·
Banned
382 Posts
Tighten drain plugs by hand,and only w/Allen wrench. but if skeptical, just go 4-5lbs less torque spec setting w/bit. After 50+ yrs never stripped any and no leaks. FWIW, I’ve used the same crush washer over a few times. However the Indian oil kit for Scout w/15w-60 oil comes w/everything you need including (2)new crush washers.
Exactly what he said^^^

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just changed this past weekend.
Had Dealer do first oil change so we fitted a 6mm on a small ratchet and tried to put some force to tighten and felt threads were not gimped. All felt solid so continued to loosen and drop oil.
When tightening up tightened by hand to what we felt was decent tightness and folalowed up with good torque wrench at 15 ft lbs.
Absolutely no problems and shouldnt be as long as someone didnt compromise threads prior at last oil change.
What will kill these threads is going wrong way initially tightening instead of loosen or ham fisted tightening.
I am very confident the threads in the drain holes are ok.
This is on a 2019 built after Feb 2019
Holding 6 quarts oil.
Your Scout holds 6 quarts of oil?

·
Rider
1,233 Posts
No I have a Chieftain. I had just responded again without looking at sub title.
Just wanted to offer some insight.
Please dont be over critical of me.

·
Silver member
4,933 Posts
No tq. wrench, only by feel, just nice'n snug. I've been doing it that way for 45-50 years on every bike I've owned and never a problem. That said, if I was squeamish about tightening by feel alone I'd use a tq. wrench and follow what setting the manual says.... or maybe a tad less, and check for leaks.

·
Rider
764 Posts

Do it either way,, just don’t forget to put the oil in the motorcycle,,,

·
Bronze member
1,462 Posts
Leave on side stand to change the oil,remove both oil drain plugs. Reinstall. and replace filter. Put in 3 quarts. Put back dip stick and screw it in. Start up. Run 30-45 seconds. Remove dip stick. Put in 1/2 qt. Clean off dip stick. Screw back in. Hold bike level. Set back on side stand. Remove dip stick. Check, Add, repete untill full Mark. Note, if you try putting more than 3 qts in at a time it will overflow, especially if your Scout is in a wheel chock /level. Leave on side stand to add oil. Check holding level. Recheck drain plugs and filter. Go ride. Recheck under bike for leaks. My Scout holds over a little over 3-3/4 qts full. .Thank you. Have a nice Mcday.

·
Bronze member
3,218 Posts
I just snug by hand,like many others.
Seems it gets very tight on the next change.cant figure that one out,but I just snug by hand,then the next oil change it seems overly tight.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Like many others have stated, I snug up by hand, by feel. I too have heard the 15 pounds of torque is about 5 too much. Just know that some have stripped their threads on this.
You can check on both drain plugs,the filter and look for leaks after the fact. Good luck.

Not to muddy the waters, but AmsOil now makes a 15W-60 that meets the Indian oil requirements supposedly. I think I will be giving the AmsOil a look once my warranty has run out. I know, I hate myself for even mentioning oil...LOL.

4T

·
Silver member
4,933 Posts
Like many others have stated, I snug up by hand, by feel. I too have heard the 15 pounds of torque is about 5 too much. Just know that some have stripped their threads on this.
You can check on both drain plugs,the filter and look for leaks after the fact. Good luck.

Not to muddy the waters, but AmsOil now makes a 15W-60 that meets the Indian oil requirements supposedly. I think I will be giving the AmsOil a look once my warranty has run out. I know, I hate myself for even mentioning oil...LOL.

4T
no no no.... do not hate yourself, pleeze. I don't think we've had an oil thread for quite a while. It's time :giggle:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts