Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014 Vintage. I don't have the total history on the bike (I bought it 15 months ago with 9,000 miles on it, now at 19,000). I want to replace the battery as insurance rather than gamble how much life it has left.

Dealer is quoting me $190 for a Yuasa 330cca. A Renegade 500 cca is only $110.

I recall the Yuasa's ideally needed to be "conditioned" (charged?). I'm wondering if the same is true for Renegades?

Point is I would prefer to do this myself given the price differential, but want to be clear on what's involved since i leave on a long ride on Thursday.

And...if there are any opinions on whether the Yuasa's are that much better to justify the price difference. (No, I'm not able to consider other brands since i have to do the replacement tomorrow.)

Thanks for any help.

·
Rider
879 Posts
I use the Same battery as on My Harley, YTX20-bs I believe..
Got the one with 310 CCA [ not less] and Very happy... with product and Price...
Thinking my last one came from Drag Specialties!!! Maybe
Like $50.00 to $60.00
Be very careful with that Damn "magic box" ya gotta move outa the way...
Whoever engineered that should have the thing stuck in their Butt....IMO
Some nimrod that Never owned a Bike I'm Betting!!!!!!

Important... If you go with Yuasa... ensure the Battery says "made in USA" right on it..
The Ones with "made in Taiwan" won't last a week in heavy service... and the Ones that say "made in Japan" may make it a Bit over a year... Just one persons experience....

Edit; Whats with the strike thru????
Nice place Y'all gots here

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you have a Batteries Plus near you, I'd go there. They have all the batteries you need, plus warranty them. I've replaced many a battery for free under warranty through them.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
2014 Vintage. I don't have the total history on the bike (I bought it 15 months ago with 9,000 miles on it, now at 19,000). I want to replace the battery as insurance rather than gamble how much life it has left.

Dealer is quoting me $190 for a Yuasa 330cca. A Renegade 500 cca is only $110.

I recall the Yuasa's ideally needed to be "conditioned" (charged?). I'm wondering if the same is true for Renegades?

Point is I would prefer to do this myself given the price differential, but want to be clear on what's involved since i leave on a long ride on Thursday.

And...if there are any opinions on whether the Yuasa's are that much better to justify the price difference. (No, I'm not able to consider other brands since i have to do the replacement tomorrow.)

Thanks for any help.
If you buy the battery from a store, like Autozone, the battery should already be set up. If you order the battery online, you may have to add the alkaline and do an initial conditioning. The initial charge can be done with a battery tender, but it takes about twice as long...ignore the lights on the tender when they go green, the Battery Tender Jr. website recommends 24-48 hours. I left mine on the tender for about two weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just replaced the battery on my 2016 RM with a Yuasa GYZ20HL (the original battery was YTX20HL but the GYZ has slightly higher CCA rating - exactly the same size unit so fits well). When I received the battery I checked the voltage level and it was over 12V so I could probably have been able to just install and crank the bike. I put it on my trickle charger first though and it took a couple of hours to be fully charged. The battery works well and no issues starting the bike. I was interested in the Renegade as well but could not find any dealers here in Canada. Overall I am satisfied with the new Yuasa although only been installed for a month or so.

Cheers

Kevin

·
Founding member
2,151 Posts
A lot of us have picked the Renegade and I've been pleased with how solid the bike starts even if when it sat for two weeks during vacation. If the CCA numbers are as advertised, it is a great value. Only time will tell how it performs long-term, but I also realize that any battery brand will have a percentage of short-term failures and extreme long-life successes ... and you'll hear about both of those in posts like this without knowing the "real" story of how the majority of each brand's production performs.

Edit: Renegade website says their Wicked Start batteries come completely charged.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Any AGM Battery I know about is Pre-charged and ready to go...sometimes after an Initial top Off charge..
12v means Nothing... in fact 12.2 is close to Dead... 12.6 is Normal and good...
My last one came at 12.5... and Being a 20 amp hour battery, and at about 85% state of charge.. I put it on a .5 amp charger for 6 hours.. could have done 3 hours at 1 amp charge rate... point is I only needed to put about 3 amp hours into it..
that is Plenty... ie if at 12.3 a 20AH battery is approximately 50% charge...and so requires 10 amps of charge... ie 1 amp for 10 hours!!!!
Nothing more nothing less...
but if an AGM battery came to me at less than 12.5v, or so I would consider it defective and return it...
Conventional lead acid and/or maintenance free... I don't use em... so don't ever put juice in a Battery anymore.
Tender??? IDK that either... I don't need one that I know of....1/2 amp trickle chargers??? I could use a couple more
just do not over charge... The number one Killer of all lead acid Batteries... is Overcharging..
Get a Quality AGM, 20Amp Hour Battery, with 310 CCA, and follow the directions that come with it... all will be Fine...
If ya don't screw up the "Magic Box" for the Bike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently purchased the Renegade battery online. After I installed it, I left it on the charger at least overnight (maybe longer; don’t recall exactly). Been leaving it off the charger just to test. The longest time has been about a week. Bike is starting strongly.

As others have said, be careful with magic box and don’t let any of the smoke out. There is a video on the Indian website that shows how to change the battery. It is a good tutorial and only 3-4 minutes long. I actually wrapped the box in a towel and used a bungee cord to hold it out of the way. I also used a little dielectric grease on both terminals and some locktite on the terminal screw threads.

Only been about 6 weeks. So I can’t speak to the long term. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great response, thank you. I wish I had thought to ask earlier. As it turns out, I had already contacted the dealer and he was prepping a Yuasa so I didn't have the heart to call him back and say never mind.

Anyway, I hope this thread can serve others in the future.

·
Rider
879 Posts
All great response, thank you. I wish I had thought to ask earlier. As it turns out, I had already contacted the dealer and he was prepping a Yuasa so I didn't have the heart to call him back and say never mind.

Anyway, I hope this thread can serve others in the future.
Do Not be afraid to ask them exactly where the Yuasa Came from... Taiwan??? Not on yer Life... Japan...only in a Pinch... USA... well you'll get a Good Battery for twice the Price...

We Call them Stealerships where I'm from...

Biggest problem with the Indian Brand... no Independent shops
Just those Dirt Bike Joints....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts