Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a used set of tan Chief Vintage saddlebags (2015 or 2016, can't recall at the moment) to have a leather option for my Springfield bags.

These bags have the small spools and have the quick release toggles on them.

Is fitting them to my Springfield just a matter of swapping between the spools? And how are people keeping those bags from falling off on the highway?

Thanks for any info and suggestions.

·
Bronze member
5,091 Posts
A friend of mine bought a Chieftain and swapped the hard bags for tan leather. She only uses the standard locking toggles and the bags stay in place. However, there was one time she lost a bag onto the road - luckily we had others riding behind her so no car ran it over. The thought that day was that she didn't lock it up firmly enough when she loaded up at the motel.

There are different diameter spools for racks etc between some bikes which is a nuisance but I think the internal size is the same across the range so no problem fitting the expanding rubber plug.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There's a few different ways to go about this, but the easiest/simplest in my opinion would be to buy the new spool bolts from indian(if you don't have them already). From 2019 on they made the quick release latches an option instead of standard, and standard is now a bolt on setup. The new spool bolts have a head that accepts a second bolt thru the bag hole to hold it on. Think the spool bolts are like $7ea or so, another like $5 ea for the second bolts that hold the bag on. Then either set of bag will work just fine on your current spools.

If you want the quick release there are ways to make both bags work with the same size spool. The spool size is mostly for the rack/sissybar to mount to. The outside diameter doesn't matter for the bags, its the inside diameter, and that only matters because the latches for the leather bags have a smaller diameter and shorter length(hard bag sides are thicker so the anchor pin is longer for them than the leather bags). So if you can get a shorter anchor pin with the larger diameter, then they'll both work with your large spools.

But if you just don't want to buy anything else extra, yes you can just swap the spools each time you swap bags. Takes a bit longer but works just the same.

As for them falling off on the highway, I've seen a few posts here about that but never seen/had that issue in real life. Best guess is the quick release latch either wasn't fully latched, or wasnt fully inserted into the spool. Or something in the bag caught the latch and popped it up. My 2018 Vintage had the quick release and smaller spools, even unlatched they sometimes stuck in pretty good trying to get them off. The quick release on the hard bags should theoretically be just as easy/hard to fall off as the leather bags, it's the same latch type system, just a slightly larger diameter. So if you haven't already had that issue with the hard bags then as long as you latch them right you really shouldn't have that issue with the leather ones. My 2019 Vintage now has the new bolt on setup with the larger spools. Bolt on would have to back both bolts completely out before a bag would fall off, really doubt that'll happen.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a few different ways to go about this, but the easiest/simplest in my opinion would be to buy the new spool bolts from indian(if you don't have them already). From 2019 on they made the quick release latches an option instead of standard, and standard is now a bolt on setup. The new spool bolts have a head that accepts a second bolt thru the bag hole to hold it on. Think the spool bolts are like $7ea or so, another like $5 ea for the second bolts that hold the bag on. Then either set of bag will work just fine on your current spools.

If you want the quick release there are ways to make both bags work with the same size spool. The spool size is mostly for the rack/sissybar to mount to. The outside diameter doesn't matter for the bags, its the inside diameter, and that only matters because the latches for the leather bags have a smaller diameter and shorter length(hard bag sides are thicker so the anchor pin is longer for them than the leather bags). So if you can get a shorter anchor pin with the larger diameter, then they'll both work with your large spools.

But if you just don't want to buy anything else extra, yes you can just swap the spools each time you swap bags. Takes a bit longer but works just the same.

As for them falling off on the highway, I've seen a few posts here about that but never seen/had that issue in real life. Best guess is the quick release latch either wasn't fully latched, or wasnt fully inserted into the spool. Or something in the bag caught the latch and popped it up. My 2018 Vintage had the quick release and smaller spools, even unlatched they sometimes stuck in pretty good trying to get them off. The quick release on the hard bags should theoretically be just as easy/hard to fall off as the leather bags, it's the same latch type system, just a slightly larger diameter. So if you haven't already had that issue with the hard bags then as long as you latch them right you really shouldn't have that issue with the leather ones. My 2019 Vintage now has the new bolt on setup with the larger spools. Bolt on would have to back both bolts completely out before a bag would fall off, really doubt that'll happen.
My Springfield is a 2019, so it has the large spools and bolt-on bags...no quick release at all. The bags are from 2016. If I understand you correctly, are you saying that I can re-use the bolts from my bike to hard-mount the leather bags, but will have to totally switch between the spools, because the leather bags need to sit on those small spools?

Thanks for helping my pea-brain grasp this...

·
Registered
144 Posts
My Springfield is a 2019, so it has the large spools and bolt-on bags...no quick release at all. The bags are from 2016. If I understand you correctly, are you saying that I can re-use the bolts from my bike to hard-mount the leather bags, but will have to totally switch between the spools, because the leather bags need to sit on those small spools?

Thanks for helping my pea-brain grasp this...
No you won’t need to switch spools. The new bolt on stuff only works with the larger spools(unless you modify it). The leather bags just rest over the spools, so while the older ones were made for the smaller spools the metal tabs that hook over the spools will sit on the larger spools fine, just makes them sit up a very slight amount. I can put the extra bags from my 2018 on my 2019 just fine, they sit up maybe a 1/4 higher is all, not really noticeable. If that bothers you then you can always grind a little off the hook that goes over the spool, but I wouldn’t worry about it.

Your bolts for the hard bag are a tad longer but should still work. For the newer bolt on setup the hard bag and leather bags have different length bolts(the hard bag sides are thicker where the bolts go thru). Its like 6mm in length difference in the bolts so not much. If you can’t tighten them enough on the leather bags add a washer, if it takes too many washers then maybe you wanna get the shorter bolt. That bolts like $5ea from indian so wouldn’t take much.

The only other thing is the leather bags have rubber bumpstops that rest against the fender. Stock there’s 2 clear stickers on the fender right where the bumpers rest to protect the paint. I’ve seen some put felt on the ends of the bumpers, not sure if that alone will be enough to keep the paint safe, but you can get some clear paint protection stickers and line them up with the bumpers. That’s the only thing effected by the older bags on my 2019, one of the bumpers would sit partly off the stock sticker on the fender since the bag sits just a tad higher.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No you won’t need to switch spools. The new bolt on stuff only works with the larger spools(unless you modify it). The leather bags just rest over the spools, so while the older ones were made for the smaller spools the metal tabs that hook over the spools will sit on the larger spools fine, just makes them sit up a very slight amount. I can put the extra bags from my 2018 on my 2019 just fine, they sit up maybe a 1/4 higher is all, not really noticeable. If that bothers you then you can always grind a little off the hook that goes over the spool, but I wouldn’t worry about it.

Your bolts for the hard bag are a tad longer but should still work. For the newer bolt on setup the hard bag and leather bags have different length bolts(the hard bag sides are thicker where the bolts go thru). Its like 6mm in length difference in the bolts so not much. If you can’t tighten them enough on the leather bags add a washer, if it takes too many washers then maybe you wanna get the shorter bolt. That bolts like $5ea from indian so wouldn’t take much.

The only other thing is the leather bags have rubber bumpstops that rest against the fender. Stock there’s 2 clear stickers on the fender right where the bumpers rest to protect the paint. I’ve seen some put felt on the ends of the bumpers, not sure if that alone will be enough to keep the paint safe, but you can get some clear paint protection stickers and line them up with the bumpers. That’s the only thing effected by the older bags on my 2019, one of the bumpers would sit partly off the stock sticker on the fender since the bag sits just a tad higher.
Thank you so very much for making this clear. I really appreciate it.

Kathy

·
Super Moderator
5,855 Posts
Thank you so very much for making this clear. I really appreciate it.

Kathy
@BHlvr - Kathy - Above is good advice. I would add . . .

When using the leather bags, DO NOT place felt (or other material) on the rubber bumpers. Felt, or any porous matherial, collects microscopic particles when wet. Those particles remain when dry, and harden. That ends up acting like sand paper against your paint. Stick with just the rubber bumpers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@BHlvr - Kathy - Above is good advice. I would add . . .

When using the leather bags, DO NOT place felt (or other material) on the rubber bumpers. Felt, or any porous matherial, collects microscopic particles when wet. Those particles remain when dry, and harden. That ends up acting like sand paper against your paint. Stick with just the rubber bumpers.
Thats a good point. I was never planning to use felt myself anyways, just know I had seen others saying they did. At first glance does sound like a good idea for softer material, but as you say not good for the long term.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know of a source for the small clear plastic squares to protect the bumper? Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
5,855 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts