Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I apologise and I am new member here and I set this thread in general discussion, but I really want to get much more informations from you as Indian professionals. I hope you can help me :)

Internet is very secure about this informations and I don't know are this rumors ture since I did not seen any single picture. Point is that I heard from some people that after WW II in year 1949, during cold war in ex Yugoslavia in Europe, USA was dropped through parachute Indian arrow scout models in green military colour. One guy said to me that only 100 has made of that model? They were dropped motorcycles across the Yugoslavia as some kind of help (donation) in their conflict with SSSR (Russia). That make sense since if you type "Informbiro period" in Wikipedia you can read about that situation in history.
So do you have any more informations about that model since I never seen Indian arrow 1949 in military colour and with some details that they are dropped in Yugoslavia by parachute?
Thank you, I appreciate your help.

All best!

·
Registered
74 Posts
It would be interesting if true but i looked through all my Indian history books of those who know way more than i do about Indians. it would be very interesting if true.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is true. I live in ex. Yugoslavia and HAVE an Indian military parachuting model. Full name is: Indian Military Motorcycle, Model 149 M, U. S. Army T-3. Motorcycle solo,extra light. Only 100 pices was made...

·
Bronze member
2,584 Posts
It is true. I live in ex. Yugoslavia and HAVE an Indian military parachuting model. Full name is: Indian Military Motorcycle, Model 149 M, U. S. Army T-3. Motorcycle solo,extra light. Only 100 pices was made...
Please post a couple of photos, I’ve not seen that model.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The Indian motorcycle that originated as a parachute model was called the Papoose. It was built in England by Brockhouse and sold there under the names Wellbike and Corgi. Very different than the Arrow models shown above. These may be what the OP is speaking of.

More info on the web, can start here. An Original 1949 Indian Papoose

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,420 Posts
I am thinking the Arrow was a single cylinder and the Scout was a vertical twin. The engines were modular (based on the same components).

·
4,420 Posts
I wasn't sure, thanks. Those Rodgers era bikes had problems at first. By the time they had the bugs out of them the company was about kapoot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You are right,but vertical twin called Warrior not Scout :)
No, both the Scout and Warrior we're twins, but Warrior was a 450cc, I think. I had a 49 Scout, and it was a 220cc.

·
4,420 Posts
You've got them confused with the Papoose which was a fold up scooter intended to be dropped from airplanes for paratroopers to use during WWII.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts