Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone who spent 34 years working at Ford, I have a slightly different opinion on this.

I witnessed Ford's failed attempt to keep up with demand by adding shifts and increasing line speeds.
What they accomplished was reduced quality and broken tooling.
They lost some customers for life, which is something no vehicle manufacturer wants.

So in my opinion it's far better for Indian to make too few motorcycles rather than screw up their quality and get a bad rap from customers and reviewers.

Already we've seen a bad example of lost quality control with the posting by BobbyG of the new Indian's wrinkled leather seat compared to his previous generation Indian with stunningly beautiful leather.
Polaris claimed millions of combined miles of testing, on road and in the lab, but lab testing doesn't stress the leather like my fat arse would have.

If only 100 bad motors get out to the public, the new Indian brand could be DOA.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Agree completely. Quality before quantity. Period. Doesn't matter if it's a Bugatti, an Indian or a gallon of milk. I'd be a bit frustrated if my new ride was delayed but I'd be plenty more pissed if it showed up on time with defects.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of us are children at heart; we don't want to wait for what we want. It can be frustrating when we have to wait. That said, I completely agree that the focus should be on maintaining quality over quantity. Polaris could get pressure from both sides, customers and stock holders, but they need to provide a product that will keep their customers coming back.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any fellow stockholder who complains about any decision Polaris makes is welcome to a free nut kicking by yours truly. When stock prices are up 30% you don't complain, you just say thank you and let them keep on keepin on!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A wrinkled seat has nothing to do with quality control unless it came form the factory looking like that.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BLACK MOTORCYCLE SADDLEBAG FRINGE BY INDIAN MOTORCYCLE®

It’s easy to change your Indian Motorcycle® style and give it a custom look by adding a set of Saddlebag Fringe. In just seconds, your Indian Motorcycle® is transformed into a classic-look motorcycle with leather fringe. And it’s just as quick and easy to reverse the process and remove the fringe. The strips of leather fringe attach using Velcro® to the undersides of the saddlebag lids. The fringe is visible as it drapes below the bottom edge of the lids, and the fasteners are out of sight. If you’re in the mood for fringe, add it and ride on!

Yup and nothin says real leatherwork quality like Velcro.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But reality is, styling and comfort over quality and reliability! (We want to look badass) ….Ford, GMC, and Chrysler were making the ugliest car on the planet in the other hands the Germans cars are the worst cars, quality and reliability speaking, but they are cute (this apply to HD also) …..Back in the 80’s and 90’s factories technologies were different, computers and robots are way better now, almost perfection. The only that humans do is quality control, retooling and recalibration. (as seen on Discovery Mega Factories)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1317 said:

It’s easy to change your Indian Motorcycle® style and give it a custom look by adding a set of Saddlebag Fringe. In just seconds, your Indian Motorcycle® is transformed into a classic-look motorcycle with leather fringe. And it’s just as quick and easy to reverse the process and remove the fringe. The strips of leather fringe attach using Velcro® to the undersides of the saddlebag lids. The fringe is visible as it drapes below the bottom edge of the lids, and the fasteners are out of sight. If you’re in the mood for fringe, add it and ride on!

OR, they could have continued to build them the same way the last two FAILED companies did with a price tag of $30K+. Then they can sell a couple hundred bikes and you and others who have a spare $30K laying around can sit around admiring your motorcycle jewelry.
It's not surprising that one of the hundred or so who felt the old bikes were worth the $$$ see nothing but bad in the new Indians. Luckily you were able to get the motorcycle you desired before they were all gone.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2610 said:
OR, they could have continued to build them the same way the last two FAILED companies did with a price tag of $30K+. Then they can sell a couple hundred bikes and you and others who have a spare $30K laying around can sit around admiring your motorcycle jewelry.
It's not surprising that one of the hundred or so who felt the old bikes were worth the $$$ see nothing but bad in the new Indians. Luckily you were able to get the motorcycle you desired before they were all gone.

Geronimo --- stationary Jewlery hahahahahah now that's funny.

By the way I have already put in an order for a red Chieftain. My Victory dealer is working on it.

I don't necesarily see bad in them . I just see them as they are. If Polaris were to offer shit on a cracker some folks would line up money in hand a swear it was fudge.

Dressed fit to ride these bikes are not cheap in Canada. Just adding crash bars backrest and lock and ride brings it up to near 29K pre tax.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2610 said:
A wrinkled seat has nothing to do with quality control unless it came from the factory looking like that.
I disagree.
Poor quality construction (not stretched correctly) and inferior tanning process is the main difference in leather products.
There are $1,000 leather couches that will look like crap in two years time and then there are $10,000 couches that will be handed down to one of your kids. (And they will fight over who gets it)

For me, the leather seat, bags, and fringe accents on the Indian are what make me drool.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4360 said:
So in my opinion it's far better for Indian to make too few motorcycles rather than screw up their quality and get a bad rap from customers and reviewers.
Agreed!
4360 said:
Already we've seen a bad example of lost quality control with the posting by BobbyG of the new Indian's wrinkled leather seat compared to his previous generation Indian with stunningly beautiful leather.
Polaris claimed millions of combined miles of testing, on road and in the lab, but lab testing doesn't stress the leather like my fat arse would have.
As VOG Members know, I'm a call 'em as you see 'em kind of guy, but I also attempt to be fair in my opinions.

Let's face it, we don't know the story behind the photo of the seat that BobbyG posted on the site. Quite possibly, that was from one of the test models the Factory used on the long road tests, in advertising shoots or it could have been damaged during shipments to these multiple locations. I'll take a wild guess and say they recognized the wrinkles that appeared were something that needs its attention as Polaris has too much money at stake not to get these types of details right on the final production product. For some reason, I don't think this seat came out of the box that way (if so, they have a Vendor issue) and the good news is that it is something that can be addressed before the first consumer model is shipped from the factory. Let's also understand that Polaris moved mountains to get a large quantiy of demo bikes to Sturgis and not all of them are brand spanking new...and some of them could be quite old or have been endured other methods of testing.

If this sounds like I'm defending Polaris, nothing can be further from the truth. As stated, I'm just trying to be fair in my opinions.

I will say this about the seat and that's simply that without having personal experience on it, it does look to offer more lower back support and appears to be more comfortable than the seat offered on the 2013 models.
4360 said:
If only 100 bad motors get out to the public, the new Indian brand could be DOA.
Huh? If 100 bad motors leave the Factory, yes they have more than a major problem. Remember 'Fisker?' It was a revolutionary automobile that suffered due to being rushed to market and initial quality issues tarnished the brand. While I'm to understand that early adopters who stuck with the brand are now satisified with the improvements made by it's new owner, many potential buyers looking for a similar technology flocked to it's main competitor, Tesla. Just look at Tesla stock and you'll see what I mean.

I can only guess that like the Vision, the first Indians won't leave the factory until any known issues are addressed. After all, we live in the day where a negative word can spread like wildfire on social networks. We saw first hand a problematic issue recently on this site with a problem with a new Owner and bike and giving credit where credit is due, once made aware of this situation, the Factory jumped on it and satisified the customer. In the six years I've been covering Victory, while they still have a long way to go in Customer Service, things are a bit better today than they were back then.

Will there be some issues that surface later? Quite probably yes. After all, it is a machine with moving parts and no matter how much testing was done in advance, there's always issues. In all my life of covering new products, I've never seen the perfect anything. I've purchased expensive sports cars in the past and there's always initial issues. The difference has been the method and the expedience these issues were addressed by both the dealership and the factory and how they strived to make this customer very happy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1317 said:

So what you are saying is i'm not in the ' frilly ' mood I can just take them off then when I do want to be ' frilly ' I can put them back on ?

Man my bike just keeps getting better and better every day

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow the seat is wrinkled and the whole bike is shitz. Interesting...love people with 1/2 full glasses.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4360 said:
As someone who spent 34 years working at Ford, I have a slightly different opinion on this.

I witnessed Ford's failed attempt to keep up with demand by adding shifts and increasing line speeds.
What they accomplished was reduced quality and broken tooling.
They lost some customers for life, which is something no vehicle manufacturer wants.

Color me confused as I don't see how a single 'Observation' by an owner of the previous model bike would be cause for alarm. It may be very possible that the seat that was used for the media has already been replaced with a newer variant. It's also possible that it may be intended to wear differently (to add character perhaps) but the point is... What would EVER make you thinkn that these new Indians would be 'rushed' out from a production line. Ma Vic took her time biulding the plant and planning this bike. I don't think they have ANY plans to 'rush into production' nor have we heard any REAL reports of problems, right?

Remeber, this isn't a NEW company without ANY experience rollign these out. These are coming from Polaris who has had some 15 years of production in the Victory line to account for. They are OBVIOUSLY going to put that experience to work for them and help them get to market quicker than others would have be able to have accomplished. Let's let Polaris do what they do SO WELL

Edited - I posted my response before reading this entire thread (I will admit I only read the entire 1st page before my tirad). Perhaps I should have just repeated Andy's thread with a great big DITTO! for me rather than spew much of it out again in a slightly different format. LOL

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
834 said:
Wow the seat is wrinkled and the whole bike is shitz.  Interesting...love people with 1/2 full glasses.
Half full?
Frank my glass is flowing over most of the time.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1317 said:

Okay BobbyG, get ready to be suprised by this post:

I agree with Spider in that it's kind of like the old Almond Joy/Mounds commercial. 'Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.'

So when you don't want the fringe, just pull it off!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1169 said:
So what you are saying is i'm not in the ' frilly ' mood I can just take them off then when I do want to be ' frilly ' I can put them back on ?

Man my bike just keeps getting better and better every day

Just don' t leave it parked next to OT or he may have double fringe.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 said:
Okay BobbyG, get ready to be suprised by this post:

I agree with Spider in that it's kind of like the old Almond Joy/Mounds commercial. 'Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.'

So when you don't want the fringe, just pull it off! 

As long as you don't end up searching for it on the roadway.LOL

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1317 said:
Half full? Frank my glass is flowing over most of the time.
It was not directed at you. Was at the author. Vodka or Scotch with ice please.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wonder if the velcro fringe will be available in different colors?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts