Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PVCX gurus please read: ( @CraigB1960 )
So I'm finally getting around to trying to flash my ECU. The first one FM sent me was the wrong model for Indian. After I figured that out and got a replacement I set it aside and basically forgot about it. So, anyway, I just got it out... I connected the PVCX and powered on the bike. The FM instructions say that I should have got a message "No compatible files found, an ECU read is required to begin..., press the top button to start the read". I never got that message. It went straight to the 4 window/channel display with the menu bar on the side. Using the menu I told it to do an ECU read, which it did. I then connected it to my computer and looked at the file folder. There were about 25 .djt files, a .STK file and a .bmp file. No .txt file. I called and spoke to FM and they said to try connecting it again, as every time it's connected it should create a PV_INFO.txt file. I've tried several times and still no file. I sent FM and email and am waiting to hear back now, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone might know the problem. It's typically user error, but I don't know what I could do differently.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I am no guru, but have fought with my PVCX on and off for some time with various little glitches... I know how to write the PV_info.txt file.

press top left button
scroll to device tools and select
select device info
select About
Use the top left button (with the pencil icon) - this will write the PV_info file to the device storage space.

On mine, every once in awhile it will have troubles communicating with the bike and either turn off or give error codes. Once this happens, it becomes erratic in all behaviors and I can get it back only by erasing it completely (FORMAT) and starting over again. The main thing I have learned is that you need to be certain you have your key files saved on your computer for retrieval if things go wrong. Also, must have patience at times when the unseen gremlins are running around and screwing with the bits! :mad: Fuel Moto and CraigB have kept me going up to this point with patience and aplomb.

·
Rider
543 Posts
With all due respect if you are saying things like "wrong model for Indian" to them there is no doubt they will send you the wrong thing. Be very specific in the details there are like 10 different Indian models and many variations. Details are critical in anything technical.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
With all due respect if you are saying things like "wrong model for Indian" to them there is no doubt they will send you the wrong thing. Be very specific in the details there are like 10 different Indian models and many variations. Details are critical in anything technical.
The PVCX (PV29002) was only 1 device type for all of the TS111 bikes - ALL models...
It is possible he got one for the Scout though because that one IS different.

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
PVCX gurus please read: ( @CraigB1960 )
So I'm finally getting around to trying to flash my ECU. The first one FM sent me was the wrong model for Indian. After I figured that out and got a replacement I set it aside and basically forgot about it. So, anyway, I just got it out... I connected the PVCX and powered on the bike. The FM instructions say that I should have got a message "No compatible files found, an ECU read is required to begin..., press the top button to start the read". I never got that message. It went straight to the 4 window/channel display with the menu bar on the side. Using the menu I told it to do an ECU read, which it did. I then connected it to my computer and looked at the file folder. There were about 25 .djt files, a .STK file and a .bmp file. No .txt file. I called and spoke to FM and they said to try connecting it again, as every time it's connected it should create a PV_INFO.txt file. I've tried several times and still no file. I sent FM and email and am waiting to hear back now, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone might know the problem. It's typically user error, but I don't know what I could do differently.
First off, you can generate the PV_INFO.txt file by connecting to the bike, turn power on, push the top button, scroll down to DEVICE TOOLS and select, then select the ABOUT menu. The PVCX will display some info, press the top button (there will be a pencil icon next to it). It will ask to confirm, hit the middle button. The PVCX will now generate the PV_Info.txt file.

Let me know if this does not work. Also, I like to delete all the files on the PVCX except for the one with STK file extension and the PV_INFO.txt file, you can keep the .bmp one too if you like. I delete the rest.

If this makes your nervous, just copy all the files over to a folder on your computer for save keeping.

·
Bronze member
4,686 Posts
Another possibility is checking for a firmware update for the PVCX. It's unlikely if it's a new unit, but a year or so ago this was an issue for some users.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. That worked for getting the .txt file.

My first indication was that the PV adapter did not fit. It turned out someone had put the wrong label on the box. The one they sent me was for a CanAm. I will say, I had the correct one in my hands the next day.

·
Rider
543 Posts
Thanks guys. That worked for getting the .txt file.

My first indication was that the PV adapter did not fit. It turned out someone had put the wrong label on the box. The one they sent me was for a CanAm. I will say, I had the correct one in my hands the next day.
Sounds like great CS!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Took my 19 w the 116 kit chieftain in for the stupid fckng recall, got the bike back, my tune was gone. went to reflash the one that worked best, files wont load, theyll load if i plug into pc i can see and read what i want on the pvcx, but when i plug into the bike it only reads the stock file... any ideas??? oh and fck that tail light update. shit cost me 3 hrs of fcking w the bike back and forth...thing ran like a banshee, now it runs like shit... extremely pissed

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Took my 19 w the 116 kit chieftain in for the stupid fckng recall, got the bike back, my tune was gone. went to reflash the one that worked best, files wont load, theyll load if i plug into pc i can see and read what i want on the pvcx, but when i plug into the bike it only reads the stock file... any ideas??? oh and fck that tail light update. shit cost me 3 hrs of fcking w the bike back and forth...thing ran like a banshee, now it runs like shit... extremely pissed
This is one of the troublesome details of flashing your own tune. Each time the dealership reflashes you may lose your tune. Craig can help you most likely... Or FuelMoto if you purchased from them. Hopefully you saved your tune on your PC and the experts here can help you put it back on the bike.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
had no issues w it in the past, flashed 2 other bikes w zero problems, took a lot of work to get this 116 to run right,,,, ill check and see if it needs an update, i doubt it, purchased it december 18

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
They loaded in a new calibration so that the checksum has changed. No big issue. Do a READ ECU and send the new STK with the tune you want to run to whoever gave you the tune in the first place.

the PV3/PVCX will not load in a tune that does not match the Tune CMP and Checksum.

As you noted, the tune you want is still on the tuner, it has not been erased. Just needs to be converted over to the new calibration. I have done a bunch of 116” lately due to the ECU upgrade. Takes a couple minutes to convert. If the tune is unlocked, I am happy to convert for you. Just PM me and I will send you the email address to send.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thank You sir!
fwiw, the bike had one tune on it and it ran great, i lost the 3 diff modes but i didnt care it was worth it, got it back as mentioned, runs like crap, especially w the rear jug kill back,,,,, thx!!

Reactions: dieselgman

·
Registered
275 Posts
yah ive worked w craig, hes awesome, just frustrating as hell when u go to do something that should take all of 10 mins and it turns into a 3 hr escapade..

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Dang computers! Can't live with them, can't live without them... Oh wait, wasn't that what some men say about the female of the species? o_O

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
I'm having a similar issue on my neutral switch recall with my PVCX (2016 Indian). what was your solution?
You have to get the old tune converted to the new factory flash the dealer installed. First step is to perform a READ ECU to retrieve the new factory STK file. Then send it to the person that developed your tune. Include the old djt that needs converting.
If PV3/PVCX purchased through FuelmotoUSA, go to their site and fill out a tune request.
If DynoJet tune, go to their site and use their tune server to locate the tune.

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
Thank You sir!
fwiw, the bike had one tune on it and it ran great, i lost the 3 diff modes but i didnt care it was worth it, got it back as mentioned, runs like crap, especially w the rear jug kill back,,,,, thx!!
The tune should never take away the modes. When that happens just flash the STK to the bike, then the bike off for at least 2 minutes after the STK flash. Then flash the DJT tune. The drive modes should be restored.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts