Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

PVCX help needed

3321 29
So, I have a 2018 Springfield with no engine modifications what-so-ever and this isn't something I want to change. I like the airbox design and I love the exhaust note as-is. However, I really don't like that clack coming from the engine nor do I like the heat and vibration from the engine. All I want to do is enrich the air/fuel ratio so the bike runs better.

Now, I have purchased a PVCX but I need a map for a stock bike with an enriched mixture. I have searched online for such a map but have come up empty. I know that I will likely still have to tweak things afterward but I would like a place to start. My motorcycle is in the shop for warranty work (post coming in due course) but they are also going to upload this map file, if I can get one.

Does anyone possess such a map?
Reactions: Geoff-3
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't have a stock bike, are there tunes for stock bikes you could try?
I can't locate any of those. Where can I find them?

Where did you buy the PVCX from. If from Fuel Moto they would provide you with a custom map for your specs.
I bought mine from my dealer and they told me that the only have one-seize-fits-all types of tunes for Stage 1-3. For what I want, they don't have a map for it. Once I get my hands on a map, I'm going to send it to them so it can be uploaded into the motorcycle.

· Rider
986 Posts
Another option is to return it to the dealer and buy it from FM. Or check if dealer bought it from FM not Dynojet, then they should be able to provide you with a map. Weird that dealer would sell you something they don't have a map for, or can't support. Unless I misunderstood

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another option is to return it to the dealer and buy it from FM. Or check if dealer bought it from FM not Dynojet, then they should be able to provide you with a map. Weird that dealer would sell you something they don't have a map for, or can't support. Unless I misunderstood
No, you understood correctly. I checked the Fuel Moto website and I can call them for a map if I purchased the tuner elsewhere. I'm just trying to see if someone already has a map that I can start with.

· Bronze member
6,014 Posts
So, I have a 2018 Springfield with no engine modifications what-so-ever and this isn't something I want to change. I like the airbox design and I love the exhaust note as-is. However, I really don't like that clack coming from the engine nor do I like the heat and vibration from the engine. All I want to do is enrich the air/fuel ratio so the bike runs better.

Now, I have purchased a PVCX but I need a map for a stock bike with an enriched mixture. I have searched online for such a map but have come up empty. I know that I will likely still have to tweak things afterward but I would like a place to start. My motorcycle is in the shop for warranty work (post coming in due course) but they are also going to upload this map file, if I can get one.

Does anyone possess such a map?

It doesn't work that way. You need to pair the PVCX with the motorcycle and download the stock tune to the PVCX and create a info text file to up load here.

Power Vision CX Tune Downloads

You can't just use any tune because the tunes are matched to your bikes ECU checksum and tune compatibility.

Also most of the tunes are actually in open loop running the mixtures leaner than stock. The stock tunes run the mixture pretty rich in open loop which creates a lot of heat from the Catalytic converter. In closed loop the tunes retain the lean 14.7 to 1 AF ratio as the factory tune except for in a few places at low RPM

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It doesn't work that way. You need to pair the PVCX with the motorcycle and download the stock tune to the PVCX and create a info text file to up load here.

Power Vision CX Tune Downloads

You can't just use any tune because the tunes are matched to your bikes ECU checksum and tune compatibility.

Also most of the tunes are actually in open loop running the mixtures leaner than stock. The stock tunes run the mixture pretty rich in open loop which creates a lot of head from the Catalytic converter. In closed loop the tunes retain the lean 14.7 to 1 AF ratio as the factory tune except for in a few places at low RPM
Yeah you lost me on that last paragraph. Are you saying that, by re-tuning the engine, I'm actually making the bike run leaner than stock?

· Bronze member
6,014 Posts
Yeah you lost me on that last paragraph. Are you saying that, by re-tuning the engine, I'm actually making the bike run leaner than stock?
Lean and rich are thrown around the internet without much context. The stock tune in closed loop is very rich. The stock improved tunes lean it more in this area for power as well as advance and retard ignition timing in areas. The improved stock tunes will improve torque and HP a bit. And cool the heat down because the CAT is not trying to burn excess fuel. So getting a PVCX for a stock bike is good, because of the above benefits.

"The stock bike runs lean" is a generic statement and is applied to all ECU motorcycles and isn't necessarily true for all of them. Usually when this lean term is used, it is referring to closed loop where the O2 sensor is used to regulate the A/F mixture. On typical rides most of us operate in closed loop. On the Indians closed loop is somewhat lean. But the PVCX tunes don't change this much at all. Most of the heat people complain about is the CAt, which runs hotter with mixtures that are richer.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lean and rich are thrown around the internet without much context. The stock tune in closed loop is very rich. The stock improved tunes lean it more in this area for power as well as advance and retard ignition timing in areas. The improved stock tunes will improve torque and HP a bit. And cool the heat down because the CAT is not trying to burn excess fuel. So getting a PVCX for a stock bike is good, because of the above benefits.

"The stock bike runs lean" is a generic statement and is applied to all ECU motorcycles and isn't necessarily true for all of them. Usually when this lean term is used, it is referring to closed loop where the O2 sensor is used to regulate the A/F mixture. On typical rides most of us operate in closed loop. On the Indians closed loop is somewhat lean. But the PVCX tunes don't change this much at all. Most of the heat people complain about is the CAt, which runs hotter with mixtures that are richer.
Ah, okay that makes sense. I wasn't aware that the heat was a by-product of the CAT doing its thing. I thought that the CAT was hot from it absorbing so much exhaust heat. Besides, my end-goal is to have a motor that runs smoother and cooler than it does now. I noticed the other day that the bike started vibrating more at idle than it did when I bought it. I remember getting a stage one added to my Harley completely changed the motorcycle for the better. Plus, I ride alone so the increase in power is kind of moot anyway.

· Rider
986 Posts
If you want to alleviate a large part of the heat, remove the CAT. This may be less expensive than buying a PVCX from the dealer, then buying a tune from FM.

But if you stick with the PVCX route, FM has remote tuning service, and they subcontract one of our forum members, CraigB who is great and an expert in tuning with PVCX. The prices are on the FM website.

But if you're happy with the power and smoothness of the engine, then consider removing just the CAT which will significantly alleviate heat, plus may make the pipes sound a tad louder.

Just things to consider.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Holy sh!t, that's way too much.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I can't wait for that liquid-cooled big twin to come out from Indian. I'm over the air-cooled nonsense that comes with these bikes. I bought an Indian thinking that something simple as re-flashing the motor would do away with these sorts of problems. I was, at one point, in the market for a used BMW R 1200 RT as it fit the bill for everything I needed but my irrational need for an American motorcycle over-ruled that.

I considered a Scout, but once I sat on one I realized I was WAY too big for one. Hubris: 1, Reason: 0.

· Registered
252 Posts
So you don’t like the heat issue and you would like to run a PVCX. There are tutorials about removing the stuffing in the CAT. And if you are going to do that consider coating the inside of your exhaust pipe. I had to do a lot of research but I believe my exhaust temperature has fallen off by at least 40 degrees according to the pyrometer.I used an Eastwood ceramic exhaust header coating for the inside of the pipe. If you coat the inside prep is key be sure to remove the O2 sensor and when coating the inside you should do 2 coats.
The PVCX is a great investment and Craig B can tune a lot of the clacking out believe it or not. PVCX is by far the biggest bang for the buck on these bikes. I believe that you will enjoy the feel of a new tuned bike.

· Rider
340 Posts
I have the stage one exhaust and air cleaner. It still runs hot. If you purchased the PVCX it should have come with instructions. All you have to do is connect it to the bike, then it will read what's going on with the bike/computer. Takes about 15 minutes. Then you e-mail the file to Fuel Moto and they send you back a file which you download into the bikes ecu.

· Registered
616 Posts
OK, go to these people and you can get your CAT removed for $199. Get yourself an K&N OEM filter replacement and a tune from FuelMoto and I guarantee you will be VERY happy. Like said before, you will have to pair your PVCX to the bike, email the file to FuelMoto with your modifications, and they will send you a tune to fit your needs. Unless you have no computer skills at all, it is pretty straight forward.
If you want to take it to the next level, there are people on this forum that can guide you through fine tuning the process, but I was happy with my setup.
Powerflex Header (Made from your own)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.