Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I need a hand here because I'm stumped... the bike turns on/idles normally, but as soon as I drop it into first (with the clutch lever pulled) it stalls out... I checked/adjusted clutch cable, not sure what else to do. My thoughts are it has something to do with the tuner, I'll explain below.
2015 Indian Scout
Just upgraded to performance intake, stage 1 slip on exhaust, and put on trask 1 1/4" handlebars. Also got the Dynojet Power Vision CX for tuning.
So, install of intake/exhaust/handlebars went smooth, no issues. I followed instructions on Dynojet and all seemed fine, but I ran into an issue with an update to the firmware on the unit; updated the unit, then tried to flash with a compatible .stk file that was preloaded on the tuner (2016_1.stk), flash worked, but couldn't download any .djt files off of dynojet website... I was eventually able to get a tune downloaded (29001223.djt) and flashed it to the bike as well. Had to bootload the Dynojet a couple times because of firmware updates.
Question is: do y'all think the tuner is the root of the problem? Or is there a possibility that I bumped/adjusted something inadvertently that I'm overlooking?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
The clue,"the bike pulls forward and stalls" makes me think that there is still a malfunction with the clutch adjustment.
The adjustment gap is VERY small on the Scouts.... maybe a tight fit on a credit card MAX!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think you bumped into something as the engine doesnt know which gear its in, neither does the PVCX... Sounds fishy any which way you look at it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel there's just no way it's the clutch cable... I've tried several adjustments, its functional... what could I have bumped??? I rode the bike after having tank off w the intake swap, ran fine. It was after I put on stage 1 exhaust and hooked dynojet to it... I'll try disconnecting battery (reset ecu), and maybe refresh if that doesn't work.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Is the side stand up?

·
Bronze member
2,043 Posts
"Just upgraded to performance intake, stage 1 slip on exhaust, and put on trask 1 1/4" handlebars. Also got the Dynojet Power Vision CX for tuning."

Did you remove or change out the original clutch cable when installing the new handlebars? I'd start here, sounds like clutch cable tension is off or not engaging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kick stand is/was up.

I ordered a new clutch cable. This was my initial thought as well... and I'm no mechanic, but I'd like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and I just don't see any problems w clutch cable... it's a hard pull (typical for stock cable), but operates smoothly...

I'll re-examine the cable around the handlebars, then make sure cable, linkage, lever, etc, are lubricated. Hell, I'll lubricate kickstand too! Haha

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
If it lurches, it's the clutch adjustment. Turn the adjustment a few turns and you'll be good as new. I had to adjust mine a few times to dial it in after I changed the handlebars out for the same reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try adjusting some more! Haha. Seems a little too finicky. If that's the issue, I'll tell you what, they require ultimate precision with the clutch cable freeplay.

Made sure everything is well lubricated. And RBinTex, you're right about the kickstand, they have the bracket tapped for bolts, but nothing is there. Though I will say, there is wear on the kickstand, where it looks like a safety switch was on there at some point. (Bought the bike used from a guy in TN).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here's something I just thought of (from you guys mentioning foreign models with kickstand safety feature), the flash that cam stock on this Dynojet actually says in the technical data that it's a euro model... I wonder if that's why this is happening? Also, in the past (if I remember correctly?) I've been able to leave the bike in gear, pull the clutch, and start it up. Correct me if I'm wrong there... I have a terrible memory. As far as adjustments go, I've gone as tight as I can possible go (w/o unthreading the adjustment nut), so that I get the most travel I can out of the clutch cable and still no love... Let me know what y'all think about that euro model flash. I think I have an .stk file on there that isn't euro, I'm giving that a shot real quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's definitely the kickstand switch! Ok, so anybody know how to disable that feature by chance?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Flash it back to stock and see if it works. Euro models do have a kickstand switch. American models don’t, I’m paranoid about it all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you'll get a kick out of this... somehow (maybe during firmware or driver update) my original file was lost... or appears to be... anybody have an american tune they can send my way? Ridiculous.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I'll try adjusting some more! Haha. Seems a little too finicky. If that's the issue, I'll tell you what, they require ultimate precision with the clutch cable freeplay.

Made sure everything is well lubricated. And RBinTex, you're right about the kickstand, they have the bracket tapped for bolts, but nothing is there. Though I will say, there is wear on the kickstand, where it looks like a safety switch was on there at some point. (Bought the bike used from a guy in TN).
Unless he changed out the wiring harness to make it work on a US bike, it never had one on it... that worked anyway!
The US delivery bikes have a different wiring harness than the European and Asian deliveries....
The US is the only ones without that feature from the factory!

P.S. Harness cost about 800.00!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wish I did but I don’t have a flasher. Hopefully someone on here can help you. Perhaps someone here can help. I’m sure there’s a stock tune out there somewhere. Perhaps there’s one on there already or a program for the pc you can download and select one to load on it.

·
Silver member
4,912 Posts
The bit where he states he reflashed with a differing stk file could be the issue. Your stk file is your stk file based on our pv/info file I didn't think the PCVX could reflash the stk file and I though dyno jet only has the djt files preloaded on the PCVX. I understand the PCVX can only add the piggy back djt or fm file.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahhh see, that probably is where I went wrong. There were 3 .stk files that came with the PVCX and it said my bike was only compatible with one of them. It also shows, what are supposed to be, .djt files on there, but strangely enough, they're not formatted properly or something... Can't open them in the DJ Suite, or any other program, and they don't show up when I plug the flasher into the bike.

I definitely need an original configuration flash. If anybody that stumbles across this thread happens to have one, here's the PV_INFO I pulled off the bike/PVCX:

Device Information:
FW Version: 2.3
FW Build: 6499.19303
Serial: PV00010877
GUID: 01ff400f-9921-aeb5-7fbb-9155492100f5
Paired: 1
Pair Version: 4
Paired ECU: 000350261334
Paired Vehicle: 56KMSA001F3101065
Paired Tune Compat: VMB8G0A6A0
Paired Checksum Compat: 515449D1
Version: 1
Vehicle Model: NFSBBA2000
ECU Model: F00HM00186
ECU SN: 000350261334
ECU VIN: 56KMSA001F3101065
ECU Manu PN: 4014125
Veh Manu PN: 4016526
ECU Tune Compat: VMB8G0A6A0
ECU SW Version ID: 10SW011159
ECU Patch Num: 4016527
ECU Checksum: 515449D1

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I'm must be missing something.. I can not for the life of me figure out how a tune can make a clutch drag.. maybe check to see if you have the cable pinched or if it's binding somewhere, or if it has a tighter than ideal bend..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts