Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rider
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I received the PVCX from Fuel Moto yesterday, downloaded the PV_info file and emailed it.
Received my custom tune today. I flashed the tune as directed, all went very smoothly. Device was easy to use.
Couldn't ride the bike as it was already cold and dark, but throttle response seemed much better.

Only issue is that the bike is now idling at 900-950, with the engine warm, while with the Stage 2 Indian flash, it was idling at 750-800 RPM.
At 900-950, the lope is completely gone (it was the ONLY reason I got the Stage 2 CAMs).

Is there a way to lower the idle down to 800 RPM at least? Would that affect the performance of the custom tune? Would FM send me another custom tune with lower set RPM? Anyone had similar experience?

I know that this may have been covered in another thread, but there is such a wealth of info about PVCX on this forum, and my head hurts from reading about it for the past few days. Doing a quick search now I came up with nothing.
I emailed Brian tonight at FM with the question, but thought I'll get some input from our Forum experts.....or Craig :).

Regards,

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,170 Posts
Yes there is other threads that talk about this. Fuel Moto upped the idle to help cure the surge you can get when down shift at lower rpms when decelerating. Basically Indian shut off the fuel on deceleration and turn it back on at lower rpms to keep the bike from stalling. CraigB1960 can help you program your map to bring your idle back down to 800. Start a private conversation with him and he can fine tune your map to give you what you want. He has helped me and is great to work with. Dean

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey all,

I received the PVCX from Fuel Moto yesterday, downloaded the PV_info file and emailed it.
Received my custom tune today. I flashed the tune as directed, all went very smoothly. Device was easy to use.
Couldn't ride the bike as it was already cold and dark, but throttle response seemed much better.

Only issue is that the bike is now idling at 900-950, with the engine warm, while with the Stage 2 Indian flash, it was idling at 750-800 RPM.
At 900-950, the lope is completely gone (it was the ONLY reason I got the Stage 2 CAMs).

Is there a way to lower the idle down to 800 RPM at least? Would that affect the performance of the custom tune? Would FM send me another custom tune with lower set RPM? Anyone had similar experience?

I know that this may have been covered in another thread, but there is such a wealth of info about PVCX on this forum, and my head hurts from reading about it for the past few days. Doing a quick search now I came up with nothing.
I emailed Brian tonight at FM with the question, but thought I'll get some input from our Forum experts.....or Craig :).

Regards,
Yes, with the PVCX, the idle can be lowered, and the surge can be eliminated. I'd wait for Brian's reply - should address your issues. If not, we can help.

·
Silver member
3,521 Posts
I got my RM out of the shop today with stage two and the PVCX. I was disappointed to see it idling at 850-900 rpm after warmup. I never had an issue with the surge so I prefer the lower idle for more he sound. I recall a thread where it was debated performance vs sound. Since I never had a problem with low idle and cool sound I would rather have both.

·
Rider
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the Indian Stage 2, my bike has stalled a few times, so if higher RPM would eliminate that possibility I may stick with it, but maybe there's a happy medium around 800-850 where the lope would be retained.

·
Rider
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, just an update.

I received email from Brian this morning stating that they "intentionally raise the idle to 950 to resolve the stumble off of idle that occurs with the lower idle". And he sent me another custom tune with the idle set at 800 (like the Indian Stage 2 flash).

After asking whether it's possible to have a tune with idle at 850 RPM, he immediately sent me another map with idle set at 850 RPM.

Now I have choices. May try the higher idle map first considering it's already flashed, and may try the 850 afterwards, see if the cool sound returns with no stumble.

I have to say Brian has been very helpful and very quick in responding to my (probably annoying) emails. I appreciate the great customer service by Brian at Fuel Moto. It makes a huge difference when contemplating whether to buy a product.

I also appreciate everyone's input in this thread.

Thank you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ok, just an update.

I received email from Brian this morning stating that they "intentionally raise the idle to 950 to resolve the stumble off of idle that occurs with the lower idle". And he sent me another custom tune with the idle set at 800 (like the Indian Stage 2 flash).

After asking whether it's possible to have a tune with idle at 850 RPM, he immediately sent me another map with idle set at 850 RPM.

Now I have choices. May try the higher idle map first considering it's already flashed, and may try the 850 afterwards, see if the cool sound returns with no stumble.

I have to say Brian has been very helpful and very quick in responding to my (probably annoying) emails. I appreciate the great customer service by Brian at Fuel Moto. It makes a huge difference when contemplating whether to buy a product.

I also appreciate everyone's input in this thread.

Thank you.
Bear in mind it takes a bit of riding for the long term fuel trims to acclimate to your new flash. Could be a little rough at first.

·
Rider
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rode the bike with initial tune sent from FM, with the 900-950 RPM idle, and boy, the bike rode beautifully. So much more acceleration and much better throttle response.
Even my Rineharts sounded louder, and maybe that's why the engine rattle sounded softer.
Of course after installing the TABs with Zombie baffles, I can't hear any engine sound whatsoever, whether riding or standing next to the bike....nothing, no normal noise, and no clacking...nothing but exhaust sound. A blissful, loud powerful sound of the TAB sticks.

I think I'm going to stay at the higher idle RPM for now because the bike rides so well and seems so powerful, i don't want to try the other tunes. Thanks PCVX and Fuel Moto.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts