Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, it is worth adding on stock bikes and yes you can tweak the tune yourself. In fact I encourage it and have written a blog to help folks.

My Indian Roadmaster Blog shows the index to the tune related posts.

This link points to a PDF document describing how to change the Drive By Wire tables. On 2019 and later, you just have more tables to contend with.
Took a look at the blog and have seen this tuner talked about alot here. Do I understand this right, the tuner must stay plugged in after doing a flash or tune change from stock ecm? I have a 2018 rm all stock still need to get the recall done for the neutral switch.

·
Rider
588 Posts
Took a look at the blog and have seen this tuner talked about alot here. Do I understand this right, the tuner must stay plugged in after doing a flash or tune change from stock ecm? I have a 2018 rm all stock still need to get the recall done for the neutral switch.
Nope, you can remove the tuner once the tune is downloaded to the ECM

·
Rider
864 Posts
As stated you do not have to keep the tuner plugged in. A reason to keep it plugged in is to watch and monitor the data coming from the engine. Another reason would be to flash a different tune during a ride.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just bought a 2019 Indian Chieftain Classic 111. I put about 200 miles on it before having the stage 2 kit installed (intake, cams, exhaust). I love the sound but am not super impressed with the decel popping as it seems excessive. The bike is still under full factory warranty so I could take it back to the dealer. Here are my questions:
1. Will the PV3 reduce the decel popping?
2. Why wouldn't the dealership just remap the bike for the best output?
3. Do I really benefit from using the PV3 or should I just take it back to the dealer until they get it right? After all, they are "Gold Certified".

·
Rider
864 Posts
1. Will the PV3 reduce the decel popping?
3. Do I really benefit from using the PV3 or should I just take it back to the dealer until they get it right? After all, they are "Gold Certified".
1. yes
2. they are not in the business of tuning
3a. yes, you will benefit by getting more mileage, less heat, more much more performance among others.
3b. The dealer has one map and they should have installed it at the time they did your work.

Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
116 Posts
I leave a couple of tables open that most end users say they want access to. The Drive by wire tables and the idle tables.
If you need more or something specific, just email or PM me.

One reason I give out my (and @cmoalem) equations is to help folks tune their bikes. When doing that, it is best to start with the factory tune as the starting point. That way, you have full control and ownership of your tune.
so if i purchase the PV3 through Fuel Moto and use their tune, i'm only going to have access to change a couple of tables? will i not even be able to see all the other tables? we have to specifically ask which tables we want access to after the purchase/receipt of the tune?

·
Bronze member
3,686 Posts
so if i purchase the PV3 through Fuel Moto and use their tune, i'm only going to have access to change a couple of tables? will i not even be able to see all the other tables? we have to specifically ask which tables we want access to after the purchase/receipt of the tune?

You will be able to see all the tables of the stock tune, but Dynojet, Fuel Moto and CraigB have started to lock down their tunes because people were sharing screen shots of them for others to tune their bike with. It doesn't matter who you purchase it from, If Dynojet, Fuel Moto or Craig did the tune, chances are they are locked. I got tunes from them before they started locking tunes down.

But that being said, the only files people should be really messing with anyway are the drive by wire tables (DBW) which are unlocked, everything else 99% of the members here would not have the correct knowledge or tools (Dyno, formulas etc) to do it.

·
Bronze member
3,686 Posts
So I just bought a 2019 Indian Chieftain Classic 111. I put about 200 miles on it before having the stage 2 kit installed (intake, cams, exhaust). I love the sound but am not super impressed with the decel popping as it seems excessive. The bike is still under full factory warranty so I could take it back to the dealer. Here are my questions:

The dealers don't re-map the bikes, all they do is load a tune created by Indian. They dealer has zero control of the mapping of the ECU, instead all they can do is load a new map from Indian.

Maps from Indian are EPA/Euro compliant which also means that performance and rideability are not optimized at all.

·
Rider
864 Posts
No, of the three tunes mentioned the @CraigB1960 tune is the only one you will have access to tables if you ask. I can't imagine the other two opening up any part of their tune.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
aren't Craig's tunes the same as FM's? if i purchase through them, whose tune is it?
No. When I was providing support for FuelmotoUSA, I would send out theirs and mine.

I developed most of my tunes on my bike while FM developed theirs in their dyno. This results in two different strategies used.

·
Registered
116 Posts
so if i purchase the PV3 through FM, how do i get a tune where i can customize all the tables that have been showcased in the thread below - twist grip, DBW, idle, timing, VE, Injector comp, IPW, AFR, knock, etc.? how would i get a tune and/or equations from you? it seems like towards the end of that thread when the PV3 was introduced that DynoJet and FM had unlocked even more tables for people to have access to. i probably won't touch most of those, but i would like the ability like everyone else has had. and i definitely want to tune in the VE and IPW/Injector comp and AFR tables. how do i get access to do that?

·
Rider
864 Posts
so if i purchase the PV3 through FM, how do i get a tune where i can customize all the tables that have been showcased in the thread below - twist grip, DBW, idle, timing, VE, Injector comp, IPW, AFR, knock, etc.? how would i get a tune and/or equations from you? it seems like towards the end of that thread when the PV3 was introduced that DynoJet and FM had unlocked even more tables for people to have access to. i probably won't touch most of those, but i would like the ability like everyone else has had. and i definitely want to tune in the VE and IPW/Injector comp and AFR tables. how do i get access to do that?

Buy a tuner, download the software and pair the tuner to your bike and download the factory tune off of your bike and you can play with that to your heart's content.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
I wrote a blog, My Indian Roadmaster, that goes through how to do this starting with the factory stock calibration. If you use the equations that I can supply you, Dynojet Power Core Software, and my blog for reference, you can tune your bike the way you like.

If you want to use one of my tunes for this, then no...I lock it. I provide the tools and the knowledge (blog) for anyone that is serious to learn can.

If you want to tune in the VE and IPW Comp tables, then there is absolutely no advantage to having an open canned tune or starting from the stock tune. I always start with the stock tune when I tune (especially remote tuning on certain bikes).

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,117 Posts
I wrote a blog, My Indian Roadmaster, that goes through how to do this starting with the factory stock calibration. If you use the equations that I can supply you, Dynojet Power Core Software, and my blog for reference, you can tune your bike the way you like.

If you want to use one of my tunes for this, then no...I lock it. I provide the tools and the knowledge (blog) for anyone that is serious to learn can.

If you want to tune in the VE and IPW Comp tables, then there is absolutely no advantage to having an open canned tune or starting from the stock tune. I always start with the stock tune when I tune (especially remote tuning on certain bikes).
Glad to see you are still posting. Hope your health is holding up and working towards a speedy recovery. Dean

·
Registered
116 Posts

thanks for your replies. so just to make sure i'm understanding this, i can either:
1)use one of FM's provided tunes that is locked and i won't be able to tune anything on it
2)use one of your tunes that is locked and i won't be able to tune anything on it
3)download a stock tune directly from dynojet that i can edit however i want
4)if i ask you for equations then it can only be used on this stock tune from dynojet

is this correct? and what is the difference between "open canned tune" versus the stock tune? i'm not up to date on the terminology

·
Rider
864 Posts
thanks for your replies. so just to make sure i'm understanding this, i can either:
1)use one of FM's provided tunes that is locked and i won't be able to tune anything on it
2)use one of your tunes that is locked and i won't be able to tune anything on it
3)download a stock tune directly from dynojet that i can edit however i want
4)if i ask you for equations then it can only be used on this stock tune from dynojet

is this correct? and what is the difference between "open canned tune" versus the stock tune? i'm not up to date on the terminology
The stock tune comes from your bike, not dynojet.
You will NOT be able to play with Dynojets tune.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
Correct, except you can modify the Drive By Wire tables and Idle tables. These tables are what most folks want access to.
Correct, except you can modify the Drive By Wire tables and Idle tables. These tables are what most folks want access to.
3)download a stock tune directly from dynojet that i can edit however I want
You read the factory stock tune directly from your ECU using the PV3. You may want to read my blog to understand the tuning process.
You can use the equations on any tune.djt file as long as you can open it in Dynojet's Power Core software..i.e. unlocked.

and what is the difference between "open canned tune" versus the stock tune? i'm not up to date on the terminology
A canned tune is a custom tune developed to run safely on all engines that have similar configurations..i.e. Stock, Stage 1, Stage 2, 585, 558, stage 3, etc configurations.

As stock tune is the factory calibration that Polaris has developed for your Indian model.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts