Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The ride modes select which Drive By Wire tables is selected. Those tables dictate how the throttle response is modeled. All modes use the same fueling and timing tables.
The ride modes select which Drive By Wire tables is selected. Those tables dictate how the throttle response is modeled. All modes use the same fueling and timing tables.
i knew it. Thx for confirming my assumption.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
How hard (and maybe this can't be answered) would it be for Dyno Jet to make a tuner that sat on the bars with different modes. My brother's truck has 5 separate modes.
I have my PV3 mounted on my handlebars (actually now to the dash). I view the data as I ride and able to log data easily. I also have several tunes on my bike that I flash to the ECU when I want a different throttle response or other fueling desired. It takes 2 minutes to flash a tune.
To answer your question, I imagine DynoJet could make switching Drive By Wire tables flash quickly, but I do not see them writing custom ECU code to allow changes on the fly.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Yes, it is worth adding on stock bikes and yes you can tweak the tune yourself. In fact I encourage it and have written a blog to help folks.

My Indian Roadmaster Blog shows the index to the tune related posts.

This link points to a PDF document describing how to change the Drive By Wire tables. On 2019 and later, you just have more tables to contend with.
Thanks Craig,. Been following your expertise for a while and have checked out your blog several times. Now that I am done buying the things I needed for comfort(6 spinal surgeries) this will be my next purchase. I appreciate folks who share knowledge. I do the same thing with home repair all the time.

Reactions: CraigB1960

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got the PVCX for my 18 Indian Chieftain Limited, is it worth upgrading to the PV3? I've pretty much have my bike dialed in by Fuel Moto's Advanced Remote Tuning.

·
Bronze member
3,686 Posts
I've got the PVCX for my 18 Indian Chieftain Limited, is it worth upgrading to the PV3? I've pretty much have my bike dialed in by Fuel Moto's Advanced Remote Tuning.
They both do the same exact things, load maps and record data. The PV3 is just a newer hardware version Of the PVCX with a color screen, and loads maps faster. Has zero effect on what can be tuned.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
Just to add, though they perform the same function (flashing a tune), the PV3 does it twice as fast, allows you to assign the data channels that are displayed and as of last week's firmware release - a continuous log. This shortens how many cycles needs to be done when tuning and eliminates a lot of mistakes I see when remote tuning.

I have also seen the PV3 work well on 2017 bikes with Ride Command without pulling the fuse.

With all that said, there is no reason to purchase the PV3 to replace your PVCX unless the above mentioned features are important to you.

·
Rider
946 Posts
Got my PV3 today and sent in my .stk file and PV_info file and got two tunes within a couple hours. Kudos to Craig B for such a quick and informative service. Flashed the bike. Very easy to do. Could not ride today due to weather but hopefully soon. I will just say to those that are doubting that they can flash their own bike, just go for it! It is that easy.

I do have one question. If the tune is password protected. How does one tweak the tune later? I understand why FM would password protect, but I don't understand how the end user can tweak the tune then.

·
Silver member
4,911 Posts
The end user can’t. If it needs tweaking you have to send your questions/remarks to CraigB.

(which also protects you against silly mistakes)

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
Got my PV3 today and sent in my .stk file and PV_info file and got two tunes within a couple hours. Kudos to Craig B for such a quick and informative service. Flashed the bike. Very easy to do. Could not ride today due to weather but hopefully soon. I will just say to those that are doubting that they can flash their own bike, just go for it! It is that easy.

I do have one question. If the tune is password protected. How does one tweak the tune later? I understand why FM would password protect, but I don't understand how the end user can tweak the tune then.
I leave a couple of tables open that most end users say they want access to. The Drive by wire tables and the idle tables.
If you need more or something specific, just email or PM me.

One reason I give out my (and @cmoalem) equations is to help folks tune their bikes. When doing that, it is best to start with the factory tune as the starting point. That way, you have full control and ownership of your tune.

·
Rider
946 Posts
I appreciate it! All is good and I can see people doing more harm than good. I was just curious as to why they are locked. While I got you here what are the rev limits set at with the stage 1 tunes?

Thanks again for all you help!

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
I appreciate it! All is good and I can see people doing more harm than good. I was just curious as to why they are locked. While I got you here what are the rev limits set at with the stage 1 tunes?

Thanks again for all you help!
I usually leave the rev limiter set to stock of 5.4k. The stock cam is done way before you hit the limiter.

I do raise the rev per gear to match the max limit of 5.4k. I also raise the speed limit per gear to higher levels.

·
Rider
864 Posts
I usually leave the rev limiter set to stock of 5.4k. The stock cam is done way before you hit the limiter.
I will probably look like an idiot but no wonder I bang the rev limit I thought it was 5.7k So I was trying to hit gears at 5.5k and still hit it now and then. But the 116 is still pulling hard at 5.4k.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
I will probably look like an idiot but no wonder I bang the rev limit I thought it was 5.7k So I was trying to hit gears at 5.5k and still hit it now and then. But the 116 is still pulling hard at 5.4k.
The 116” is set at 5.7k.

·
Rider
946 Posts

I do raise the rev per gear to match the max limit of 5.4k. I also raise the speed limit per gear to higher levels.
Thanks for replying back. Yeah I never go that far in the revs. I usually shift well before that because of how the engine sounds. Good to know. The reason I ask too was because Dynojet on all their canned tunes say they raise it to 5600.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
Thanks for replying back. Yeah I never go that far in the revs. I usually shift well before that because of how the engine sounds. Good to know. The reason I ask too was because Dynojet on all their canned tunes say they raise it to 5600.

Thanks again for all your help.
Yes, DynoJet used to raise it to 5.6k as well as I and FM.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Happy motors do happy things. Better response, smoother operation, & cooler running are some of the great benefits with re-tuning.
Hi, I'm one of those few that probably care at all about fuel economy. I have stage 2 (Indian A/C, Freedom True Duals & Indian cams) on my 18 Chieftain. I know this thing is running way lean and I need that PV3. Just wondering - Will my fuel economy drop much? I think I'm more concerned with tank range I guess. Thank you.

·
Rider
946 Posts
I don't think that you will see a significant drop in MPG. I went down maybe 2 mpg but I haven't done a long trip yet. There are a lot of factors that affect your mpg. The main one is how much throttle you are giving it. If you drive conservatively then you will likely not see much difference. But then again if you drive conservatively then why do upgrades?

I don't drive conservatively.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I agree, every tune (stage I, stage II, and now stage III) from FM/Craig has made my mpg go up slightly as the bike runs better/cooler.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to say I should not have waited to get the PV3. I have Tab Slip-ons with the Indian high flow air cleaner. The only “tune” I had done was the Indian card flash that comes with the air cleaner. Just got the PV3 done and bike is night and day better. Power is completely linear and honestly pulls smoother and harder in every range of RPM. Can not believe the difference just a canned tune from LLoydz would make on PV3 but wow. Mileage not affected from what I can tell so far.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts