Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Dynojet PV3 able to tune fuel and timing or just fuel? Could not find anything that referenced timing.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
Does the Dynojet PV3 able to tune fuel and timing or just fuel? Could not find anything that referenced timing.
It is identical to the PVCX and is only a flash tuner. It replaces the PVCX for the Indian motorcycles and has some nice enhancements, namely the color display, twice as fast flashing the ECU, massive memory, and configurable data displays.

It uses the same software for tuning that the PVCX does, which is the power comes from Dynojet's Power Core Software. That software provides access to all the parameter's in the ECU for timing and fuel corrections.

·
Bronze member
3,682 Posts

To add what Craig said, the PV3 isn't a tuner it all, it is an interface that allows you to change parameters inside the ECU, like Fuel, ignition, airflow efficiency, throttle mapping and basically every engine parameter that the ECU controls. Companies like Dynojet and fuel Motto have created maps that the PV3 uses to change the parameters of the ECU. These parameters could be changed by anyone who has the software which can be downloaded for free. But it is not simple and most be done by someone who knows how to properly tune on a dyno with the PV3/PVCX software

Tuners exist and still do for motorcycles that have "locked down ECU's" (can't be changed, most Metric and European bikes) and alter the fuel, timing after the ECU. Since the Indian motorcycles ECU made by Bosch is not locked, engine parameters can be done at the ECU itself which is preferred.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
I will be posting on My Indian Roadmaster Blog this week on the PV3, which I've had for a few weeks. The PV3 is a nice upgrade to the PVCX in terms of speed of flashing, speed of file transfers, color display, memory, and configuration of the data screens. The connection from the PV3 to the WBCX or diagnostic port is very robust compared to the 4-pin socket of the PVCX.

I'll be posting photos as well as my measured specs between the two units.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will be posting on My Indian Roadmaster Blog this week on the PV3, which I've had for a few weeks. The PV3 is a nice upgrade to the PVCX in terms of speed of flashing, speed of file transfers, color display, memory, and configuration of the data screens. The connection from the PV3 to the WBCX or diagnostic port is very robust compared to the 4-pin socket of the PVCX.

I'll be posting photos as well as my measured specs between the two units.
Just purchase a PV3, I've never used on before.
what should I expect once it's loaded to ECU.

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
Just purchase a PV3, I've never used on before.
what should I expect once it's loaded to ECU.
Since it is only a Flash Tuner and loads a tune into the ECU, it really depends on the tune you select to load end for your expectations. If the tune you receive is a good match for your bike (A/C, Cams, Header, and Exhaust), then the difference is just short of remarkable!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Installed djt map for my RM 18, PV3 is easy to work with, great stuff. Bike is running smoother and better, but is it my imagination or it also not that hot anymore?

·
494 Posts
Installed djt map for my RM 18, PV3 is easy to work with, great stuff. Bike is running smoother and better, but is it my imagination or it also not that hot anymore?
Happy motors do happy things. Better response, smoother operation, & cooler running are some of the great benefits with re-tuning.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also installed my map about two weeks ago. I seems to run stronger with more pull and it will run to higher rpms in 2nd to 5th gear also. At 80 mph I'm still at 3000 rpm's though. Overall I'd say it's running better with more acceleration. I took it out last night for about 130 miles. The tune is starting to come together well.

·
Rider
588 Posts
There is no way to change the rpm at a set speed through tuning. RPM at a set speed is determined by gear ratio and tire size. The lower the gearing, the higher the rpm at any given speed, and the higher the ratio, the lower the RPM. Also a taller tire will give you a lower rpm at the same speed than a shorter tire. The only way to change your rpm would be to change out one or both of your belt pulleys to change the ratio, but I do not know if anyone makes different sized pulleys to fit Indians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is no way to change the rpm at a set speed through tuning. RPM at a set speed is determined by gear ratio and tire size. The lower the gearing, the higher the rpm at any given speed, and the higher the ratio, the lower the RPM. Also a taller tire will give you a lower rpm at the same speed than a shorter tire. The only way to change your rpm would be to change out one or both of your belt pulleys to change the ratio, but I do not know if anyone makes different sized pulleys to fit Indians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Installed the tune for filter and exhaust on my stage 1 2019 Chieftain DH.

What a difference from the stock to this. Seems like a lot less tq limiting, easier revs, just all around great so far. Would like to do some data logging to see if there is much room for improvement.

·
Rider
838 Posts
So you have one tune and the 3 ride modes influence the one tune?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
So is it worth it for a stock bike??? And can I learn how to change or tweak, let's say throttle response, myself??? Really don't like being dependent on someone else for every little tweak...

·
Silver member
4,592 Posts
So is it worth it for a stock bike??? And can I learn how to change or tweak, let's say throttle response, myself??? Really don't like being dependent on someone else for every little tweak...
Yes, it is worth adding on stock bikes and yes you can tweak the tune yourself. In fact I encourage it and have written a blog to help folks.

My Indian Roadmaster Blog shows the index to the tune related posts.

This link points to a PDF document describing how to change the Drive By Wire tables. On 2019 and later, you just have more tables to contend with.

·
Rider
838 Posts
How hard (and maybe this can't be answered) would it be for Dyno Jet to make a tuner that sat on the bars with different modes. My brother's truck has 5 separate modes.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts