Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a PV3 from Fuel Moto and was wondering if a stage 1 tune or stock tune would be best for a K&N PL-1814 filter in the stock airbox. I also have ACE slip-ons with a 2.25 baffle.

I remember reading some forums in the past about people debating whether or not the Hi-flow filters actually had any benefit because the stock air box flowed all the air that the 111 needed.

Is there a definite consensus one way or the other?

Thanks again to all the SMEs for your knowledge and experience with Performance for the TS 111.

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one? I did do a search and found some old post(2+ years) on the subject but nothing definitive and really no closure.

Maybe I am missing something?

I have modified airboxes in the past on sportsters I had, in order to flow more air with the old foam oil filters and re-jet the carb(remember that) and always had great results with a single fire ignition.

I might try the same thing with this airbox. Have seen others do it fairly easily. I like the stock look but might get the Hi-flow at some point. Will have to see how the bike rides with the K&N and the PV3 tune.

Hopefully some of the Subject Matter Experts will respond.

Please respond to my first post questions. Thanks.

·
Bronze member
2,637 Posts
Hey Yo, how bout this:
Do the forum "airbox mods" - at least the spacer/standoff mod you'll find in here - and load up Stage 1..

But once you change your blinker fluid to synthetic, you'll have to retune again...

·
Silver member
4,632 Posts
Recently bought a PV3 from Fuel Moto and was wondering if a stage 1 tune or stock tune would be best for a K&N PL-1814 filter in the stock airbox. I also have ACE slip-ons with a 2.25 baffle.

I remember reading some forums in the past about people debating whether or not the Hi-flow filters actually had any benefit because the stock air box flowed all the air that the 111 needed.

Is there a definite consensus one way or the other?

Thanks again to all the SMEs for your knowledge and experience with Performance for the TS 111.
There is very little difference between the stock improved and the stage 1 tune. With your setup, I would run the stage 1.

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Yo, how bout this:
Do the forum "airbox mods" - at least the spacer/standoff mod you'll find in here - and load up Stage 1..

But once you change your blinker fluid to synthetic, you'll have to retune again...
Yeah, thinking about modifying the airbox. Haven't heard blinker fluid since my Army days. ;) Funny!

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is very little difference between the stock improved and the stage 1 tune. With your setup, I would run the stage 1.
Appreciate your help and recommendation. Thanks! That is what I was leaning towards but wasn't sure it would richen it up too much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey just a idea of what i did to mine. i got a stock airbox from a RM because that model looked to let air more to the back jug. i took the box and cut it down about maybe 1/2 inch put Kn filter and some spacers for the bolts and it gives me about a 1/2 open around for air flow. you can here it when you crank the throttle sucking air. just my idea

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey just a idea of what i did to mine. i got a stock airbox from a RM because that model looked to let air more to the back jug. i took the box and cut it down about maybe 1/2 inch put Kn filter and some spacers for the bolts and it gives me about a 1/2 open around for air flow. you can here it when you crank the throttle sucking air. just my idea
Thanks for the idea. I just got my PV3 tune loaded and changed the filter to the K&N. Haven't been able to ride it due to all the rain and temps right now. Looking at trying tomorrow when things dry out here. I might just be happy with the change from the tune considering it got rid of a lot of the limits set by the factory tune. Like 60% throttle opening.

I am really starting to think that PII/Indian set the throttle limit stock to 60% so that people want stage 1 or 2 and when they flash the ECM with the stage 1 or 2 flash they remove the limit giving the rider a more perceived growth in performance.

I am starting to think after reading almost every thread on the subject that the only difference between the high flow AC and the stock with a K&N, other than looks, is maybe 1 or 2 HP if that. I am not talking the Venom Plenum or something of that nature but the stage 1 ACs from numerous vendors.

I guess I will find out for myself very soon, weather permitting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
after i did my airbox mod with my pv3 i did feel the bike ran better. i also cut the cat out and and put vance hine turn downs. i do have a classic that had the clacky motor sound now it is much cooler and not so much clack...

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the tune that CraigB sent me worked great and even though the weather was still very cold 28 degrees with wind chill. I guess the bike was learning the new tune and I rode about 25 miles.

At the end the bike seemed to be running very well and no issues. Noticeable increase in acceleration and being able to rev higher in each gear. I was at 80mph in 5th where normally I would have been in 6th.

I did notice that when I went to start it(garage was 50 degrees), it started harder than normal for some reason. Maybe because the tune was new?

Originally, I was thinking of maybe cams but to me the bike is running very well and fast enough for me. Similar acceleration and torque as my 98ci big bore twin cam that has headwork, Andrews cams, and upgraded ignition.

·
Rider
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rode it today again. Temps higher at about 38 degrees. Started like it used to. Ran well and breaths so much better now. Before it was like an asthmatic trying to breath in smog. Now it has plenty of air and asking for more all the way to about 4700 rpm. Much happier! Me and the bike that is.

Too bad that Polaris/Indian has to restrict this engine sooooo much in order to please the EPA. Don't the EPA have bigger polluters to worry about?

Once the engine is able to utilize all of its throttle and intake it just wants to keep going and it doesn't complain like it used to.

Engine spools up nice and fast now and it is almost like it has a new cam in it. At least to me it does.

Thanks to all for your input and to Fuel Moto, Dynojet and especially Craig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts