Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rider
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased a PV3 from Fuel Moto and loaded a Stage 1 tune. Everything seemed fine and was running great but I notice some clutch slippage in 4th gear if I crack the throttle all the way. 1st-3rd pulls hard runs great. Shift from 3rd to 4th at about 60mph and then notice the rpms going up but not really moving as much as the lower gears. Shift to 5th and it seems normal again. I noticed a little slipage in 6th on the interstate but not too bad.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I checked clutch free play and it it at 1mm at the lever. Adjusted and checked again at 1mm.

Do you think that I don't have enough free play in the clutch or is the new torque too much for the stock clutch to handle?

·
Bronze member
2,842 Posts
Recently I purchased a PV3 from Fuel Moto and loaded a Stage 1 tune. Everything seemed fine and was running great but I notice some clutch slippage in 4th gear if I crack the throttle all the way. 1st-3rd pulls hard runs great. Shift from 3rd to 4th at about 60mph and then notice the rpms going up but not really moving as much as the lower gears. Shift to 5th and it seems normal again. I noticed a little slipage in 6th on the interstate but not too bad.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I checked clutch free play and it it at 1mm at the lever. Adjusted and checked again at 1mm.

Do you think that I don't have enough free play in the clutch or is the new torque too much for the stock clutch to handle?
the stock FM tune gets you about 5-7 ft pounds more torque. No affect on clutch. Could be clutch adjustment or it is just worn.

·
Rider
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. Yeah but I only have 4700 miles on the bike. I should have put that in my post. I guess I need to revisit the clutch adjustment again. It is set by the spec in the SM. Maybe something else going on with the clutch?

Yeah I didn't think there was that much power or torque gained to make it slip either.

·
Bronze member
2,842 Posts
Thanks. Yeah but I only have 4700 miles on the bike. I should have put that in my post. I guess I need to revisit the clutch adjustment again. It is set by the spec in the SM. Maybe something else going on with the clutch?

Yeah I didn't think there was that much power or torque gained to make it slip either.

What oil are you using.

·
Rider
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using the Indian 20W-40.

Solved it! Must have been too tight.

Well this morning I went ahead and took both cable ends off, cleaned everything and lubed them, the lever end and the clutch end. No fraying or anything else. The cable end going into the clutch lever moves freer now.

Then I went and adjusted it again. I found a method that works well for me now and I will share it here.

Before when I was adjusting the clutch cable it was hard to tell where the free play was and it seemed that even when I loosen the adjuster all the way with slack that the cable would still pull. There was no play where the cable housing went into the clutch lever housing.

So after cleaning the ends and again making slack in the cable I could pull the cable housing away from the lever housing to see the slack. Adjusted tighter and then checked the slack again. I was able to see the actual free play with the cable housing moving in the clutch lever housing. I got it to the point of about 1.5 mm worth of movement and now the clutch engages well and there is no slippage. It shifts great and finds N great now too.

I could probably narrow the gap more but not to the point where there is no play in the cable housing to the clutch lever housing.

My thoughts on the cause of the clutch slipping are:

1. You have to have clean and lubed clutch cable ends. Cleaning the cable ends and then lubing them again made the cable housing move freely allowing the free play to be adjusted easier/more accurately.

2. Adjusting the cable in cold weather made tolerances out once warmed up. I think that because I was adjusting the cable in cold weather to the .5 mm spec that when the clutch warmed up it was causing the clutch to slip under load because the free play was gone at that point.

Hopefully this will help someone who may be having a similar issue with their clutch.

·
Bronze member
2,842 Posts
I am using the Indian 20W-40.

Solved it! Must have been too tight.

Well this morning I went ahead and took both cable ends off, cleaned everything and lubed them, the lever end and the clutch end. No fraying or anything else. The cable end going into the clutch lever moves freer now.

Then I went and adjusted it again. I found a method that works well for me now and I will share it here.

Before when I was adjusting the clutch cable it was hard to tell where the free play was and it seemed that even when I loosen the adjuster all the way with slack that the cable would still pull. There was no play where the cable housing went into the clutch lever housing.

So after cleaning the ends and again making slack in the cable I could pull the cable housing away from the lever housing to see the slack. Adjusted tighter and then checked the slack again. I was able to see the actual free play with the cable housing moving in the clutch lever housing. I got it to the point of about 1.5 mm worth of movement and now the clutch engages well and there is no slippage. It shifts great and finds N great now too.

I could probably narrow the gap more but not to the point where there is no play in the cable housing to the clutch lever housing.

My thoughts on the cause of the clutch slipping are:

1. You have to have clean and lubed clutch cable ends. Cleaning the cable ends and then lubing them again made the cable housing move freely allowing the free play to be adjusted easier/more accurately.

2. Adjusting the cable in cold weather made tolerances out once warmed up. I think that because I was adjusting the cable in cold weather to the .5 mm spec that when the clutch warmed up it was causing the clutch to slip under load because the free play was gone at that point.

Hopefully this will help someone who may be having a similar issue with their clutch.

I have too found that iof you adjust the cable cold, it tightens up when the bike warms up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
had same issue with '15 & '17 RM trike conversions. ea. stg 2 with headers. had same slip as you, but noted clutch would start slip by couple hundred miles, again....
i ended up doing the clutch spring upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts