Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much like everything else I've ran into with this stage 2 upgrade I had problems lol. I had a hell of a time getting the pv3 thing figured out. it was actually the most stressful part pre project, afraid to f up the ecu and getting it wrong. pre project I spoke often with CraigB1960 about what works best. would be easiest to tune and get results. that is exactly why I got what I got. and he would always respond quickly to our conversation.
when I got the pipes cams and ac installed I messages Craig 10 my time, 8 his and said I put in the request in with fuel Moto, he promptly sent me my tunes that night. several times in fact because I couldn't find them.
now the fun part. lol. while trying to upload the tunes last Friday using my MacBook, I didn't do it correctly. for whatever reasons the maps didn't take and ended up needing to reloading stock tune, which was also wrong and the bike wouldn't start. my understanding was the way I took them from email to Mac to pv3 included files from my Mac and jumbled the maps in the process. the bike was essentially a expensive bad ass radio, no turn over no attempting anything mechanically. I simply messaged him after early morning tinkering with it my issues and get at me when he could. around 8 am, 6 am his time and he immediately jumped on my problems offering solutions asking queasiotns trouble shooting and putting my mind at ease. solution was getting my brother over with his pc ( and also him computer knowledge), and having him read our conversations and using windows 10 try again. it was a quick easy process from there on and the bike runs like an animal.
I have 2 tunes to try the first one runs so good. I haven't gotten a chance to put miles on and change and check the other he had sent due to weather and the insanity in the world right now. I may have lost a touch of gas milage... I may alsolike the rumble and the snappy torque to much also haha .
point of the this story is my experience with tuning a bike in 2020. and also a huge thank you and shout out to CraigB. I can't express my gratitude enough. I have explained this to many people out of this forum and said what a valuable resource and just good person to put the effort into this for us. thank you

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
That was a troublesome fiasco with a great ending.
Yes I agree Craig is one of the best and couldnt agree more with your statement here.

18 Posts
Glad you got your expensive"Bad Ass Sound System" BASS) running right...that cracked me up, I was rolling LOL!!!!. Even though I felt like crying!!!! because I just bought a leftover 2019 Chieftain Classic with Stage 2. She stalled on the way home the first time I drove it ....and again on my second short ride. Just got back from the Dealer who re-flashed it twice, Clint, the dealer's Mechanic said he installed an air cleaner "spacer", because he thinks the air cleaner intake was leaking...Clint said it was still stalling on him when he took it out for a test ride even after the second re-flash.
He said he sent the map files into Indian...so Monday I'll be waiting to hear back from the dealer/Polaris. But from everything I've read on this blog, the PV3 / Moto Fuel tune may be the answer regardless because FM can run richer because they don't have to meet EPA ( lean) emissions, but as PaRider above, I will probably have to have my 13-year-old do the computer work! Or pull all my hair out...But the other thing that it may be, is old gas. I work at a refinery and we add butane during the winter, but can't during the summer/warmer months because butane will evaporate, thus lowering the octane level. The bike was a leftover, so maybe they had filled it up the gas tank last winter and now the octane is too low for the ECU to keep her running all the time at idle/stop lights. Wishful thinking..... So on the way home I bought some octane boost and filled up about 3 gallons on 91 octane ....and it stalled at a light on the way home... but it was only a few miles. So, I'll giver it another try in a few hours, if it doesn't snow and my fingers get some feeling back, and see what Polaris can do. After spending so much. I should not have to spend another 400 - Polaris needs to fix this or I will be one BASS!

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
Dude you very well might need to spend 400 to get things running right (providing you have no leaks anywhere) but to me to rid myself of the headaches and knowing my motor is running spot on.
Now although I cant speak personally yet im understanding "Craig" will get you thru it.
Everyone has said they got thru it and the support is excellent.
As soon as I start riding full time again within the next couple weeks I will be adding the PV3

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get not wanting to spend the money on the pv3 after buying and expensive machine. But fuel motor and support is on point and my thought was just like xtreme it’s worth it for the peace of mind. When doing the stage 2 upgrades I left the dealer w the bike throwing 4 different codes and the dealers solution. Was keep riding and it’ll fix itself. Wtf kinda answer is that ha. Only reason I knew it was ok was because craig told me get the cams and the stage 2 flash and you’ll be set. And the pv3 took it all away. Did u get cams. What kind?

·
Rider
1,570 Posts
Well fellas my dealer put the cams in and did the Indian Stage 2 Indian tune. I had no problems with the upload or download load when using the instructions and got Craig’s tune my bikes been running wonderful. Sorry the Mac screwed everything up for you normally it’s smooth and easy process.

18 Posts
I get not wanting to spend the money on the pv3 after buying and expensive machine. But fuel motor and support is on point and my thought was just like xtreme it’s worth it for the peace of mind. When doing the stage 2 upgrades I left the dealer w the bike throwing 4 different codes and the dealers solution. Was keep riding and it’ll fix itself. Wtf kinda answer is that ha. Only reason I knew it was ok was because craig told me get the cams and the stage 2 flash and you’ll be set. And the pv3 took it all away. Did u get cams. What kind?
I got the Indian/Dealership installed Stage 1 /Indian Air Cleaner/Indian Slip-ons and Indian Stage 2 Cams.

18 Posts
I'm wonderring if I should go all in and get the Fuel Moto Jackpot Pipe / Get rid of the Cat at the same time I order the PV3? But with the rear cylinder deactivation, maybe the Jackpot is not needed to reduce the heat, and I heard not much difference in performance with CAT removed because the Jackpot pipe provides same back pressure for low end torque. I'm still going to see what the Dealer and/or Indian - Polaris will do. This is not a good business model and if my wife gets going on this, it will realy be a BAD business model....they will be sorry. If I was the dealership, I would just buy the PV3 for anyone who buys the Indian stage 1/2/3 and hand it to them under the table/with a wink...they'd have a customer for life. and even just the stock bike tune, I heard the PV3 tune really wakes up the stock bike. Clint the Dealership Mechanic, agreed when I mentioned the Fuel Moto/PV3... But its really the EPA's fault. My older brother had the same problem when he worked at a Chevy Dealership years ago, he'd get a car running great but it would not pass the tailpipe emmissions/inspection (in NY) ...so he'd lean it out, to pass and then the customers would complain how bad the car ran and idled...

·
Rider
1,570 Posts
I would looks at the head pipe Libertyville Indian is selling as an option as well just for heaven’s sake what ever you do Do Not wrap the pipe with heat tape / insulation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My dealer (Indian of Daytona) installed my stage 2 cams a year and a half ago. During the first 6 months of stalls at intersections, crackling on decel, and "cylinder misfire" codes, I brought the bike back to the dealer for service several times. They said there was nothing more they could do. Can't recall who said it there, but when I kept pushing, someone advised going to Fuel Moto. I hesitated due to not wanting to spend another dime - even though the bike ran worse with the cams than before! Last week, I finally relented and bought the PV3 through Fuel Moto. CraigB sent me 2 files to try out. After flashing the ECU with Craig's first tune, I haven't looked back. I feel like I have a new bike again! Just got back from a 180 mile round trip ride (to a Harley dealer - long story). Highway speeds, acceleration, traffic: It's just a new bike. AND - - - My fuel economy has not changed an ounce. I know it's another $375 - $400, but if you added cams, I think the only solution is to go non-Indian ECU flash. Seems they are prisoner to the EPA rules.

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
Did anyone use a PV3 flash and go to the dealer afterwards.
I will need to go shortly for the recalls.
Wondering what dealer will say with an upgraded map.
Could they or would the refuse warrantee?
Just curious if anyone has this experience and how it was handled.
Thanx

18 Posts
I did ask the dealer about warranty and the PV3, and they said as long as what you installed has nothing to do with the failure, then they would cover anything under warranty that they normally would, so for example if you install PV3 and your wheel bearings fail, no problems getting new wheel bearings because the PV3 would have no direct impact (it would indirectly because you may go faster and ride more with a map that works instead of the piece of crap map the dealer gave you). Something going wrong with the engine may be a little dicer depending what can or can not be proved. It may also depend on the Dealership...good people = good customer service - no matter what.

·
Rider
980 Posts
Sturgis installed all my Stage 2 upgrades, Rinehart Slimline Dual exhaust, Rinehart 4" Slip on for Indian Touring, VooDoo Intake, Indian Stage 2 Cam set, they were very adamant that I did not use the PV3, they said they heard of too many issues.

I did have to ride the Chieftain home to Montana, was a 201 mile trip, the bike ran very strong. Two days after I got home to Montana, I did get CraigB Stage 2 tunes, that really fine tuned all the parts Sturgis installed and took the package to a whole new level of refinement.

All the recalls are done except the Neutral switch, that won't need a flash. I am going to have the Sturgis tech ride the Chieftain to get his feed back on the tune, it's a whole different TS111 than what left Sturgis that day lol
I wont be letting any Indian dealer flash the Chieftain now or ever. =)

18 Posts
Sturgis installed all my Stage 2 upgrades, Rinehart Slimline Dual exhaust, Rinehart 4" Slip on for Indian Touring, VooDoo Intake, Indian Stage 2 Cam set, they were very adamant that I did not use the PV3, they said they heard of too many issues.

I did have to ride the Chieftain home to Montana, was a 201 mile trip, the bike ran very strong. Two days after I got home to Montana, I did get CraigB Stage 2 tunes, that really fine tuned all the parts Sturgis installed and took the package to a whole new level of refinement.

All the recalls are done except the Neutral switch, that won't need a flash. I am going to have the Sturgis tech ride the Chieftain to get his feed back on the tune, it's a whole different TS111 than what left Sturgis that day lol
I wont be letting any Indian dealer flash the Chieftain now or ever. =)

Glad you made it home and made all the stops lights! I just called Fuel Moto (FM) and learned that The Dynojet comes with various Dynojet maps that you an flash directly to your Indian, but FM Tech said that Polaris has several ECM calibration maps, so they(FM) have you down load the map your bike has and send them the map file, so they know what ECM cal your bike has....and then they know exactly what map to send you. I say that because I watched a Y-Tube video of a guy who had a Darkhorse and just bought the Dynojet, down loaded one of the maps that Dynojet had pre=loaded on it and it worked great- done . So I'm thinking that may be the easiest way for me to go instead of sending files back and forth to FM, but if I needed help FM said they only send free maps to those who buy the Dynojet from them. $368 and I think I saw Dynojet for $338 direct so it would be a bit cheaper. Just wondering what everyone recommends...I'll try to find that Y-tube video and link it in, so you can see it.

·
Rider
980 Posts
Glad you made it home and made all the stops lights! I just called Fuel Moto (FM) and learned that The Dynojet comes with various Dynojet maps that you an flash directly to your Indian, but FM Tech said that Polaris has several ECM calibration maps, so they(FM) have you down load the map your bike has and send them the map file, so they know what ECM cal your bike has....and then they know exactly what map to send you. I say that because I watched a Y-Tube video of a guy who had a Darkhorse and just bought the Dynojet, down loaded one of the maps that Dynojet had pre=loaded on it and it worked great- done . So I'm thinking that may be the easiest way for me to go instead of sending files back and forth to FM, but if I needed help FM said they only send free maps to those who buy the Dynojet from them. $368 and I think I saw Dynojet for $338 direct so it would be a bit cheaper. Just wondering what everyone recommends...I'll try to find that Y-tube video and link it in, so you can see it.
If you have all your upgrade parts in place and DynoJet offers a cheaper price, their tunes may be the less expensive way to proceed?

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
Just now ordered the PV3 from Fuel Moto
I have the oval high performance air filter.
Installed and upgrade flash the past season.
Took plugs out to put Iridiums and they looked real good beautiful color so indicates bike is running pretty good but I believe its going to be so much better.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know that one of the befits of fuel Moto is being able to use there custom tunes, made specifically for what you have done. back in the day I bought a pc3 for 2-300 then needed to get a custom tune made for the bike for another 250. now you have a company, people like Craig out grinding on tunes handing it out and being there for support at any time. that's worth 30 bucks... to me. but I feel you on wanting to save where you can brother. especially during these times. had I known I was gonna be laid off I wouldn't have done any of it and saved all the money

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm wonderring if I should go all in and get the Fuel Moto Jackpot Pipe / Get rid of the Cat at the same time I order the PV3? But with the rear cylinder deactivation, maybe the Jackpot is not needed to reduce the heat, and I heard not much difference in performance with CAT removed because the Jackpot pipe provides same back pressure for low end torque. I'm still going to see what the Dealer and/or Indian - Polaris will do. This is not a good business model and if my wife gets going on this, it will realy be a BAD business model....they will be sorry. If I was the dealership, I would just buy the PV3 for anyone who buys the Indian stage 1/2/3 and hand it to them under the table/with a wink...they'd have a customer for life. and even just the stock bike tune, I heard the PV3 tune really wakes up the stock bike. Clint the Dealership Mechanic, agreed when I mentioned the Fuel Moto/PV3... But its really the EPA's fault. My older brother had the same problem when he worked at a Chevy Dealership years ago, he'd get a car running great but it would not pass the tailpipe emmissions/inspection (in NY) ...so he'd lean it out, to pass and then the customers would complain how bad the car ran and idled...
even with the rear cylinder deactivation it taking the cat out makes it much cooler. the initial reason I considered any of this was getting rid of the cat, maximizing the 111. she cooks in the summer. and it snow balled from there hahaha. doesn't take much of a push to work on the dark horse lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did anyone use a PV3 flash and go to the dealer afterwards.
I will need to go shortly for the recalls.
Wondering what dealer will say with an upgraded map.
Could they or would the refuse warrantee?
Just curious if anyone has this experience and how it was handled.
Thanx
yea I did cover some this with the dealer. anything add on...pipes, fuel management,air cleaner, even cams, doesn't void warranty unless indisputable that was the cause of the issue. I wasn't willing to hurt my warranty in this process.

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
Yeah warrantee myself as well.
Cant wait to put it on and set it up.
I ran a dynojet pcv5 years ago on my turbo busa and had a data logger on tuning remotely with a math matician from Phili PA.
It was really exciting stuff how well we got that bike to run with remote tuning.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts