Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well...decided to goof off instead of working today.

Twisties
50 mph so stable it is almost boring
60 mph still stable and holds a line beautifully
65 mph stable but starts to lose the line a bit
75 mph stable....but expect to go wide on the sharper twisties
85 mph not as stable...oh hell.... it will pucker your a$$ but you will make it.

Straightaways
55 windshield down and fantastic.
65 windshield up and stable
75 stable and lots of throttle left
85 stable and still lots of throttle left
95 stable but a slight head buffering starting (6' tall and looking slightly over the windshield)
105 still stable, still have throttle, and concentrating too hard to know if there was any head buffering occurring.
115 stable but starting to run out of throttle.
120 made it. Bike is still solid on a smooth highway. Not much, if any, throttle left. Sure don't want to find a rough road at this speed.
All speeds read directly from the speedometer on the bike.

Passing Semis
You choose the speed and Something new.... you don't get sucked in or blown away when passing or getting passed!!! Totally different from any of my HD.

ABS brakes
75 mph and cranked down on front and rear. No sliding...no nose dive...smooth stop.
85 mph same
90 mph same but I decided to save brake pads so I quit.

Suspension
Found the worst road in Dallas and drove over it.
45 mph not bad....
55 mph better than 45
65 mph still comfortable but the front end starts to bounce enough that you are not sure you are in total control.

Acceleration in 6th gear.
I was doing 85 in 6th...and cranked down on the throttle. She responded and just kept accelerating. Very pleased!

Overall...after all the tests...I know for certain my Chieftain is the best bike I have ever owned.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You forgot the looking cool test..............
LOL...figured that was a given...I don't know if an old, fat guy can look cool no matter what he is doing or what he is riding! :rolleyes:

Semper Fi,
DrZ

Reactions: Ken1553

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks DrZ,

No twisties here is south Florida.

Have plenty straight aways here, but have not stretched the Chieftans legs yet.

Yes I have noticed the smoothness of passing semis. My HD Wide Glide with the quick-release windshield was such an adventure and not only passing. Get behind one and it was a deep concentration ride.

I haven't really laid on the brakes yet either.

Suspension. Smooth but stiff enough to still be under control on the roads I have been on.

Acceleration I am still amazed. My gas mileage is down because I love to feel that torque monster.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For you guys wanting to know about the coolness. I can feel it while every one is looking at the bike. Or is everyone looking at me? LOL

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Great write up.
I'm amazed at this bike every time I ride it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have only had mine up to 90, but I was very pleased how stable it was and smooth. I have noticed way to many police sitting waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting motorcyclist. 5mph is all I dare to ride over speed limit here in wi, they have no sense of humor. And they certainly do not like motocyclists. Here's a scenario two vehicles travelling down hwy, one is a motorcycle an the other isa women in a station wagon,actually she is going faster and I get pulled over !

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Thanks DrZ,

No twisties here is south Florida.

Have plenty straight aways here, but have not stretched the Chieftans legs yet.

Yes I have noticed the smoothness of passing semis. My HD Wide Glide with the quick-release windshield was such an adventure and not only passing. Get behind one and it was a deep concentration ride.

I haven't really laid on the brakes yet either.

Suspension. Smooth but stiff enough to still be under control on the roads I have been on.

Acceleration I am still amazed. My gas mileage is down because I love to feel that torque monster.
Give Ozello Trail a shot on that Chieftain mej .. That will tell you how she does Twisties wise ..

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had mine to 115 riding two up. No issue at all. I have the sudden desire to beat DrZ's 120mph.
115? Two up? I don't think I could get much above 95....not because the bike couldn't do it...but because my wife would be pounding on my head!!!

Wish I had gone with Stage 1 pipes or take the time to knock out the plugs.
At 120.... I don't think I could find throttle if I had to do so.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
Howdy Folks,
During my summer travels I was following my cousin, who can really make that flatbed diesel move, down a country road south of Houston on a moonless night. Suddenly a heap of recently deceased German shepherd appeared from under the speeding truck and I ran my Chieftain square over it. The bike got airborne briefly but landed smoothly with nary a wobble; just glad the dog was still relatively fresh...

The Chieftain handles very, very well. My Street Glide had under-sprung front forks that dived under braking and scarcely 2 inches of travel at the rear wheel. When getting on the throttle in a curve there was a noticeable clunk feeling as the engine/tranny/swingarm assembly torqued against the rubber mounts. The Chieftain is way more composed.

What you had ought to do, Dr. Z, is bring that baby down to Big Bend and I'll show you some canyons where you can really put her through her paces.
--- Randall

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy Folks,
During my summer travels I was following my cousin, who can really make that flatbed diesel move, down a country road south of Houston on a moonless night. Suddenly a heap of recently deceased German shepherd appeared from under the speeding truck and I ran my Chieftain square over it. The bike got airborne briefly but landed smoothly with nary a wobble; just glad the dog was still relatively fresh...

The Chieftain handles very, very well. My Street Glide had under-sprung front forks that dived under braking and scarcely 2 inches of travel at the rear wheel. When getting on the throttle in a curve there was a noticeable clunk feeling as the engine/tranny/swingarm assembly torqued against the rubber mounts. The Chieftain is way more composed.

What you had ought to do, Dr. Z, is bring that baby down to Big Bend and I'll show you some canyons where you can really put her through her paces.
--- Randall
Thank you for the invite. I may just do that as time permits. I did some of those roads back years ago and, sadly, on my Road King Classic that handled like a Mack truck through twisties.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
723 Posts
I give it the plate glass test.
Drive by a plate glass window and check it out.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great write up DrZ...where did you do the twisty roads....?
Found this route online a few years back and decided to try it....the EXACT write up....

Start in Mansfield TX lonestar off HWY 287 lonestar RD is 157 (Twisties Repaved Smooth) will lead you to Venus TX and HWY 67 take a right to HWY 35w in Alvarado TX. Take another Right Heading North toward FT Worth. Exit 30 for (FM 917) this road is smooth (Twisties) with moderate Traffic. This will take you to Joshua TX. Take a left at the light Road is S Broadway aka HWY 174. Take that to Cleburne TX. Keep going you will pass Hwy 67. Past that you will keep left. After the Bridge you will look for Hwy 171 this road is pretty smooth with looong Straights with little curves. Low to mid traffic.take that all the way to Hillsboro TX. If you need fuel this is a good place to get it. After fuel turn Right on ELM. Then right again on FM 309. Twisties Again by corn fields. LOW traffic. Caution Corn is tall some corners are blind almost 90 degree turns. Come to a tricky part left at 934 then right on 3049 both of these are almost back to back so it just feels like the same loop. Continue to Hwy 174 take a right then you will head back into Cleburne TX. There you have 67 to take to alvarado to hit 35W to FT Worth or take 67 to Dallas.

Now if you are ready to go home after the first group of twisties.... you can head back after Alvarado. If you continue on there....being very aware....you can open the bike up here. County cops and they will chase you.

Be very aware when you are close to Hillsboro....the uhhhhh....officers of the law are thicker than thieves and support the town by writing tickets!

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice, you were right in my back yard, I have traveled those roads many times.... the next time you heading out this way you need to ride hwy 51...if you catch it outside of Glenrose,it will take you all the way to Mineral Wells....great road all the way.....

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I am simply amazed at the handling,,,,, and it's a cruiser too!

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,749 Posts
Nice, you were right in my back yard, I have traveled those roads many times.... the next time you heading out this way you need to ride hwy 51...if you catch it outside of Glenrose,it will take you all the way to Mineral Wells....great road all the way.....
My sister lives in Glen Rose. I was out there last year, but not on a bike. It is some pretty riding country.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've found the limit on my Chieftain....Two up, approximately 90 degrees, riding with windshield fully down, two up, no helmet, just baseball cap.....cap stays on until I get between 90 and 95, then baseball cap attempts suicide with sudden jump off my head. Took about 10 minutes to slow down, turn around, and find it. Have had mine over 100mph two up, with a lot of throttle left. My pucker factor got to big, not from the bike's handling at all...she was still very smooth and rock solid.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts