Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, the never-ending question, which bike do I want?

Quick context: For the last 12 years I rode a Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero (Kawasaki's bagger) that I bought new in 2012. Beautiful bike, absolutely loved it. But now that we are approaching retirement and will travel more, I started looking for a full dresser with a bagger-style heritage.

So last spring I test drove a HD Road Glide, BMW K1600B, and Honda Gold Wing DCT. (The Pursuit had not been announced at that time.) All good bikes. Liked the Road Glide more than I thought I would. But in the end, I bought a 2021 Gold Wing. The DCT (no clutch if you're not familiar) was an absolute blast. I thought, as many "purists" do, that I would hate it. But the test drive wiped away that preconception. I couldn't get the smile off my face.

I've put 4k miles on the GW so far and really like it. But two things are nagging at me.

One, I miss the V-twin rumble. I can't deny it. The Gold Wing's flat-6 is an incredible engine. But it sounds like a sewing machine, and there are no aftermarket solutions. Second, the info center is awful. The more I use it, the angrier I get.

Last month I test drove an Indian Pursuit. I loved it. I've been doing a ton of reading on the bike and have come up with this short list of pros and cons. (these are my personal opinions)

The main advantages of the Gold Wing over the Pursuit:
  • DCT (this is a big one)
  • Walking Reverse and Forward gear
  • Android Auto
  • Less Expensive
  • I already have it :)
Main advantages of Pursuit:
  • V-Twin
  • Multiple options for exhaust and air filter
  • Storage (over 2x capacity of the Gold Wing)
  • Lower fairings
  • Suspension is much more customizable (GW only has 4 presets)
  • Audio level (200watts vs 180watts on GW)
Torque and HP are effectively identical between the bikes (Pursuit has slightly higher specs, but GW is 70 pounds lighter, so it's basically a wash).

I'd love to hear some opinions, especially if you've owned or ridden both bikes. Also, I am curious about your honest opinions on the Ride Command center. I've read some gripes, but don't know if they are widespread. The Gold Wing's info system is not touch-screen, and it's GPS is universally hated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Challenger Dark Horse
90 Posts
I had an F6B GW and I have a Challenger so the slightly lighter versions of both your options. I think they're 2 very different riding experiences. You can push the Indian way harder and I find the bike more engaging and less appliance-esque than the Honda. Cons definitely are you're not going to have the Honda reliability and the RideCommand is pretty crappy for nav and phone connection. But once you just use Apple CarPlay and get in the habit of unplugging/re-plugging the cable into your phone after each engine restart it'll be good. You don't need reverse if you park facing the right direction, and not sounding like the Jetson's car is big plus.

·
Bronze member
3,379 Posts
I’ve had a Challenger since May 2020. The worst part of the bike is probably the Ride Command system - it’s fussy and I’m not satisfied with it…seems there’s always an issue. On a recent 400 mile trip I had to reboot it twice when the screen when black. Seems there’s always something happening that requires a reboot. I’ve also had three or four incidences of the bike just shutting down at slow speeds. Dealer found the throttle body sync was way off and fixed that, but the bike did the same thing twice again. I’ve installed the DynoJet tune and haven’t had a dying engine since. There’s a new IM tune that’s come out that hopefully corrected the dying engine problem. Suspension, power, speed, & handing are all superb. Being a Vtwin it won’t be as smooth as the Honda or BMW K1600.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
1,217 Posts
I was kinda in the same boat about a year and a half ago. I owned a BMW K1600GTL at the time which is a great bike if you like the sport touring kind of machine. Adjustable suspension and more HP and torque than you would ever need on two wheels. I put over 25k miles on that bike in about 3 or so years and loved it. But then I started thinking, as I'm not getting any younger, what type of bike do I want to ride into my future, it wasn't my current BMW. I test rode the GW with the DCT, it was very strange at the beginning but after a few miles I really started to enjoy it. My turn offs to the GW were, small storage(couldn't believe they actually made the trunk and the bags smaller on what is really one of the corner stone touring machines) and the dash/controls seemed to busy, way more switches and knobs than there needs to be after coming from BMW which uses a wonder wheel on the left grip to navigate through all the controls/screens, and as you stated, lack of options. Then I test rode the Challenger, instantly fell in love with the power of the engine, the V twin rumble even with stock pipes it doesn't sound to bad although, I just put stage 1 ovals on mine and like them even more. It has had it's hick-ups with some software issues of late but they seem to have been worked out through my dealer and just riding so I've had quite a few miles lately and don't plan on getting anything else anytime soon.

Hope you find what your looking for and enjoy the ride

·
German Rider
2,449 Posts
I don't like sewing machines. That says all.
GW is a great bike, but not for me. Never, same as a Harley.....also never. I had a Kawasaki Vulcan VN1700 Voyager before my Roadmaster. I would go back to that if needed, but not available anymore over here.. ..I love my Roadmaster, so no need for.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Mungrol

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would go for it. I’m the same, like the rumble and feel of a V-twin. My buddy has a GW, it’s a great bike but sooo quiet. The gps is Annoying compared to my Chieftain that’s way more user friendly. My bike has been flawless for the four years and 26,000 miles that I’ve owned it with the exception of a TPMS sensor.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
4,049 Posts
I've got lots of Indians, and a few other brands currently. Bottom line... as with most, I literally LOVE my Indian(s). I've always said GWs are a better bike 'technically' , but you wouldn't find my ass on one (yes I've looked at them and considered them) Why? For similar reasons you are considering leaving it. The new Challengers call my name, but for now I'm holding off .. had my latest chieftain less than 10k miles. However, if I was buying a new bike tomorrow I'd buy the Pursuit or Elite. Simple as that; no brainer. They aren't perfect as you can read by others... by ... Indians have a soul IMHO . Hard to explain. At the PP108 ... the future of the brand

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I've had many bikes as well. I don't have then all listed in my signature. Mostly my favorites. I've have the premium H-D's, BMW K1600B & 20' Chieftain Elite and have ridden two different late model GW's. I will say by far that my Pursuit is my favorite. The Pursuit had the K1600B spirit of speed and agility. You twist the throttle and it instantly makes you smile and you seek out twisty roads. The Challenger & Pursuit will both give you this while offering better riding position. I also did not like the GW's riding position.

Remeber that you will hear venting of issued. Remember there's many out there that have not had any issues because not everyone is on this forum and people with issues speak out while the others enjoy the ride and keep quiet. I have had zero issues with my Pursuit. I had my dealer do the Stage II with all Indian parts and tune before I picked it up. Every thing plays nicely together.

·
Rider
1,215 Posts
I went from, Harleys, ‘73-2010, ‘11 Victory Vision, ‘13 Gold Wing, ‘17 Road Master and now the ‘21 Challenger I ran up 50k miles on the Wing before trading, You are correct about HP/torque being about equal, handling too. I could not get comfortable on the Wing , I describe it as straddling a 55 gal drum. The Wing is unsurpassed on reliability and trade in value. But the comfort, amenities like the sound system, cargo space etc…. Are better on the Challenger. At 13k miles the Challenger has become my favorite of all time. It is just a blast to ride!

Attachments

Reactions: ThreePea

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I went from, Harleys, ‘73-2010, ‘11 Victory Vision, ‘13 Gold Wing, ‘17 Road Master and now the ‘21 Challenger I ran up 50k miles on the Wing before trading, You are correct about HP/torque being about equal, handling too. I could not get comfortable on the Wing , I describe it as straddling a 55 gal drum. The Wing is unsurpassed on reliability and trade in value. But the comfort, amenities like the sound system, cargo space etc…. Are better on the Challenger. At 13k miles the Challenger has become my favorite of all time. It is just a blast to ride!
Oh my the Farkels.

I stole this image off the internet for pure visual entertainment.

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: ThreePea

·
Rider
1,215 Posts
Oh my the Farkels.

I stole this image off the internet for pure visual entertainment.
I hardly call a Garmin GPS, Sirius radio rcvr. Cell phone mount farkels. Can’t pull out the kind of gear mounted in your pic. I’m guessing he’s a ham radio operator.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quick context: For the last 12 years I rode a Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero (Kawasaki's bagger) that I bought new in 2012. Beautiful bike, absolutely loved it. But now that we are approaching retirement and will travel more, I started looking for a full dresser with a bagger-style heritage.

So last spring I test drove a HD Road Glide, BMW K1600B, and Honda Gold Wing DCT. (The Pursuit had not been announced at that time.) All good bikes. Liked the Road Glide more than I thought I would. But in the end, I bought a 2021 Gold Wing. The DCT (no clutch if you're not familiar) was an absolute blast. I thought, as many "purists" do, that I would hate it. But the test drive wiped away that preconception. I couldn't get the smile off my face.

I've put 4k miles on the GW so far and really like it. But two things are nagging at me.

One, I miss the V-twin rumble. I can't deny it. The Gold Wing's flat-6 is an incredible engine. But it sounds like a sewing machine, and there are no aftermarket solutions. Second, the info center is awful. The more I use it, the angrier I get.

Last month I test drove an Indian Pursuit. I loved it. I've been doing a ton of reading on the bike and have come up with this short list of pros and cons. (these are my personal opinions)

• Android Auto
  • Less Expensive
  • V-Twin
  • Lower fairings
Torque and HP are effectively identical between the bikes (Pursuit has slightly higher specs, but GW is 70 pounds lighter, so it's basically a wash).

I'd love to hear some opinions, especially if you've owned or ridden both bikes. Also, I am curious about your honest opinions on the Ride Command center. I've read some gripes, but don't know if they are widespread. The Gold Wing's info system is not touch-screen, and it's GPS is universally hated.

Thank you!
For years I just knew my touring bike would be a GW when the time comes. The time is here and in shopping I discovered that in the 2018 and newer Wings, they reduced the storage space. This is "form over function" which I resist. I decided the Pursuit was the way for me and ordered one last Saturday. Wings are bullet proof and that's great, but I have to have room for all my stuff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In March I was on the fence waiting to see the new Pursuit. Having had HD, Indian, Triumph and BMW's I thought maybe G/W, test rode both DCT and Clutch. Could not find my comfort zone on the G/W, loved it except the footing position (very dedicated). I ordered the new Pursuit with stage 1 intake, stage 2 cams, back rest, lower fairing storage pockets and C/D bag lights. I have tried several mufflers and found the stock mufflers work the best for me. The ride is absolutely fantastic, power amazing at any speed, handling on par with any great touring bike. A fellow rider bought a new G/W DCT last fall, it runs extremely well. He can run side by side until about 60 where the Pursuit walks away briskly. Hard to lose the V-twin sound (even with stock mufflers) and while heavier it does not seem to distract from handling at low speeds. Currently 7 weeks old and 5,800 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove Gold Wings for 30+ years. There is nothing like a Gold Wing. While at Laconia Rally I test drove a Road Master. Came home and bought a Road Master Classic. Absolutely love it. My wife says she is very comfortable on the back. We both love it. No regrets!!

·
Registered
38 Posts

• Android Auto
  • Less Expensive
  • V-Twin
  • Lower fairings

Thank you!
Good question! I had a 2020 Challenger Limited. Loved it until it started acting up. Started having electrical issues that Polaris and the dealer could not/would not address. Long story short, I traded it in for a 2021 Gold Wing Tour 6 speed manual. Love it, but it isn't a big v twin. Really missed it. I solved that by buying a V Star 1300. Love that bike too. Totally different bikes! Need the v twin feel and sound. Good luck with your search and ride safe!

·
Administrator
22,954 Posts
I put 80,000 miles on my last Wing. I would never go back: seating position, no v-twin rumble. And I had fewer problems on my 2015 RM ~~ nothing major on the Wing, but it wasn’t flawless, either (infamous “ghost shift,” sensitive tpms, took out the water hose when loading into a trailer after a front flat, etc). Add in that reduction in storage capacity and in my book it’s no contest…

1 - 16 of 16 Posts