Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Tribe,

I took my 2016 Vintage in for service, and ask them to check the air cleaner which is experiencing a puff of smoke when the bike is turned off. They just called me back to tell me that is normal, that the stock cleaner has a cover so you don't see it, but the stage 2 air cleaner is open so you see it more. Just thought I would check with all of my expert friends here. Maybe it is normal, but I have never seen it on any of my other bikes. Comments? Thanks in advance, all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a Thunder Stroke 111" with stage 1 air cleaner, stage 1 exhaust, stage 2 cams and stage 2 ECU flashed. All Indian products and done by the dealership. I have put over 17,000 Miles on the bike. I do not ever recall seeing smoke come out the air cleaner. However I am Not a Indian expert, just a guy with a bike.

Reactions: SSHardball22

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I have it happen to my RM every now and again. I took it as normal based off the fact my previous H-D’s used to do that as well.

Reactions: SSHardball22

·
Registered
165 Posts
When i clean my air filter there is oil on the filter and the metal air cleaner housing. That is from the engine breather hose, I know its the PCV value on a car, not sure what they call it on a bike. Could the smoke be coming from the engine breather hose? Maybe after riding when the bike is hot, take off the air cleaner, start it up and let it run with the air filter off (Not on a windy or dusty day) and then when you turn it off. Just look to see where the smoke is coming out of? just an idea of what i would do to eliminate where its coming from the throttle body or the engine breather hose.. hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts