Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm looking at trading in my 2015 Vaquero and riding off with a Dark Horse but I have some apprehensions. I've seen the posts about everything "wrong" with the Challenger and I wonder if it would be advisable to wait for 2021 models. What do you Challenger owners think? Do they usually make those types of modifications or fixes the second year? I was leaning toward the white smoke dark horse and I don't want that to become an issue as well. The potential for a color change next year.

Just asking for some advice, thank you all.

Semper

·
Bronze member
3,399 Posts
Dark Horses do not change color often... but I believe Indian has the bugs worked out on the 2020 models... if it was me and ready to pull the trigger.... I would

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,241 Posts
I'm very happy with my Limited! Got it in March.

Reactions: pfd161

·
Registered
187 Posts
I purchased my DH in March. Only have managed to put 1800 miles on it since it got delivered to me early May. (Bought out of State)

I've really had only minimal quirky things happen that aren't worth mentioning.

There's guys on here that have owned the Challenger for 8-9 months and have racked up thousands of miles with minimal issues.

This is my 1st Indian. (We bought 2 actually......:cool:Challenger & Chieftain Classic)
It's a brand new bike and Indian seems like a stand up company that has no problem taking care of recalls and warranty work.

My best recommendation is to research the dealer to make sure you buy from one that is focused on after the sale care of its customers.
Too many are only concerned about getting the sale.

Now, IF you want it...... GO GET IT!

·
Registered
65 Posts
2020 Challenger Limited here. I have ridden it 2800 mi. I understand your concerns, but also take a look at the recalls etc. They are pretty minor in nature like a remap taking little time and such. I've owned this bike since December and been back to the dealer once for a remap. There were two other small recalls which I did myself like sending in the mileage on one and putting a protective plastic piece over the display. I don't think I would worry a bit about such things. The bottom line is more like, how do you like the looks and the features on a Challenger? Changing colors is what manufacturers do and almost every year so keep that in mind. This is your deal and your money so not encouraging you to buy now or wait. I'm only saying that waiting a year wouldn't like change much for you.

·
Rider
510 Posts
Greetings,

I'm looking at trading in my 2015 Vaquero and riding off with a Dark Horse but I have some apprehensions. I've seen the posts about everything "wrong" with the Challenger and I wonder if it would be advisable to wait for 2021 models. What do you Challenger owners think? Do they usually make those types of modifications or fixes the second year? I was leaning toward the white smoke dark horse and I don't want that to become an issue as well. The potential for a color change next year.

Just asking for some advice, thank you all.

Semper
Most of the problems were early production I think. I picked mine up in April and haven't had a single issue. Many of the people on the Challenger FB pages haven't been experiencing issues either. Only suggestion is to make sure you get an aftermarket seat. The seat is crap.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just buy one, bought mine in November no issues over 3000 miles.
This is my 6th Polaris motorcycle.

Reactions: SemperI

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased my DH in March. Only have managed to put 1800 miles on it since it got delivered to me early May. (Bought out of State)

I've really had only minimal quirky things happen that aren't worth mentioning.

There's guys on here that have owned the Challenger for 8-9 months and have racked up thousands of miles with minimal issues.

This is my 1st Indian. (We bought 2 actually......:cool:Challenger & Chieftain Classic)
It's a brand new bike and Indian seems like a stand up company that has no problem taking care of recalls and warranty work.

My best recommendation is to research the dealer to make sure you buy from one that is focused on after the sale care of its customers.
Too many are only concerned about getting the sale.

Now, IF you want it...... GO GET IT!
Thanks for the assist. Appreciate it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2020 Challenger Limited here. I have ridden it 2800 mi. I understand your concerns, but also take a look at the recalls etc. They are pretty minor in nature like a remap taking little time and such. I've owned this bike since December and been back to the dealer once for a remap. There were two other small recalls which I did myself like sending in the mileage on one and putting a protective plastic piece over the display. I don't think I would worry a bit about such things. The bottom line is more like, how do you like the looks and the features on a Challenger? Changing colors is what manufacturers do and almost every year so keep that in mind. This is your deal and your money so not encouraging you to buy now or wait. I'm only saying that waiting a year wouldn't like change much for you.
Thanks. I guess I was just looking at the issues on the "likes and dislikes" page just to see what people thought. Complaints about the horn didn't really bother me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The horn on my Victory XC was an utter embarrassment just like the Challenger's is. It finally crapped out and I haven't replaced it. The horn on out '15 Vintage is a keeper.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Got my Base Challenger last November - Was actually the first one out my dealer's door.
Goes back in 2 weeks for the 5k check-up.
Mine was an early model under the throttle body sync recall they they did at the 2.5k service last month.
Never had any ride-ability issues.
No regrets - Would definitely do it again.
Personally - my thoughts would be - do it now!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my Base Challenger last November - Was actually the first one out my dealer's door.
Goes back in 2 weeks for the 5k check-up.
Mine was an early model under the throttle body sync recall they they did at the 2.5k service last month.
Never had any ride-ability issues.
No regrets - Would definitely do it again.
Personally - my thoughts would be - do it now!
Much appreciated

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought my Limited in April, it was built in March. It now has 5600 kms (3500 miles) on it. I have a couple quirky issues, but nothing that makes me wish I didn't buy it. I love the bike, and my dealer will get my intermittent issues fixed I'm sure.

·
Bronze member
3,399 Posts
Well that statement is not accurate. Go look at the Chieftain Dark Horse, since 2018 there have changes to the available colors every year.
true.. to a certain extent... they have not cancelled any color... black smoke, white smoke and bronze smoke are all still there for certain models... the red smoke is a new one but only available as a ICON on the Scout Bobber and standard option on the Roadmaster Dark Horse... but the Chieftain Dark Horses? which color was available but cancelled?

·
Registered
98 Posts
true.. to a certain extent... they have not cancelled any color... black smoke, white smoke and bronze smoke are all still there for certain models... the red smoke is a new one but only available as a ICON on the Scout Bobber and standard option on the Roadmaster Dark Horse... but the Chieftain Dark Horses? which color was available but cancelled?
Are you trying to lawyer me with how you’re phrasing things here? “Which color was available but cancelled?” What is that phrase mean to you?
My example and evidence is referring to model year to model year specific to the Chieftain Dark Horse. If you check Indians website you will see that the ONLY consistent color is the black. My 5 minute look at Indians site leads me to believe that the only 2020 available in bronze in the challenger.
Do you have any factual evidence to support you’re belief that Dark Horse color options don’t change often? All my evidence supports the exact opposite of what you claimed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts