Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there guys ... my name is Spiros and i am from Greece ... all my life i ride Harleys and a week ago i sold my softail to have a new one (propably the v-rod muscle) ... but ... the INDIAN SCOUT came out ... i am really very excited with this bike ... really beautiful powerful and smooth and also the price even here in Greece is very good (app. 14.000 euros) ... since you guys live in the US and most of you have seen the bike up close and spoke to dealers , riders ... etc ... what do you think are the pros and cons of the new scout ? do you think is it worth the money and the delivery time for me ? i will really appreciate your answers and advices .... (sorry for my bad English) ...

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Hello Spiros...welcome to the forum. I had a V-Rod and when compared to the new Scout, the Indian is a little smaller, less raked and more affordable. There are other differences, but those relate to the Harley having more options available in the HD parts catalog to accessorize their bike. For me, Indian offered the accessories I needed for a better fit. I hope they will offer more options in the future, but the aftermarket can fill some of the void, too. I was so convinced it was the bike for me that I ordered a Red one. I'm sure others here will add their thoughts and advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a chance to test ride the Scout a week ago in Madison, WI along with the Vintage and the Roadmaster.

Pro's: Ease of handling at all speeds. The engine seems very responsive at both low and high rpm. 3000 to 7000 rpm is very responsive. There was no plateau of power noticeable at higher rpms, unlike other cruisers I have been test riding. Shifting is smooth through all gears and range of speed available to each gear was surprisingly flexible. Lean angle is generous and the bike held the line well at both low and high speed. Seat was quite comfortable for a stock seat. Riding position was well suited for my 5 foot 11 inch, 185 pound frame. Handling on this bike inspires confidence and is very fun. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of power and acceration of this cruiser. The detail of design and incorporating features of the older scout heritage is impressive. The finish of all four colors available is well done. I particularly favor the silver smoke.

Con's: Not immediately available. Closest dealer is 90 minutes away. Hand grips could be a bit thicker and better gripping for my hands. Hanging on during rapid acceleration was more of a challenge on the scout after first riding the Vintage. I would actually not change out any parts from the stock bike except the hand grips. Some may want to change pipes for a louder sound, but I actually liked the exhaust note on the stock model.

The Scout is my first choice after test riding the Indian Vintage and Roadmaster, Victory Hammer 8-Ball, Judge, Vision, and Gunner, Harley FatBob, Switchback, Heritage Softail, and Honda CTX 1300. I will revisit the Vintage and the Vision when it comes time for a long distance touring model for 2-up riding, however.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome to the forum Indian Greece! Nice to have you here.

I've not test ridden a Scout but I reserved mine the morning after it was introduced. Other than pictures, I've not seen one. I've not ridden a Harley nor visited a Harley shop and honestly, seen so many HD on the road that I don't really need to go and see them. EVERYBODY (so it seems) has one. Nothing against HD, I just wanted something different, something that feels honest, something that when I walk out to get on the bike makes me feel like I'm not just riding a motorcycle but I'm somehow sharing in history. Something that makes me feel like I got my money's worth, something that I trust, something special and something I can keep for years and every time I ride it I think "damn this is the nicest bike I've every owned" and that something is the Indian Scout.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Started reading the owner's manual at lunch yesterday. Discovered that engine fault codes will display right on the console! No need to plug in a fault reader like the expensive GS-911 I bought for my beemer. Displayed right there.

Hotdamn. That's the way to go. All vehicles ought to be that way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Because this is a brand new model bike and not really tested yet except by the factory if i were you i would wait a year and buy one next year. I like the idea that you want to be a little different than everybody else as i do but let them get all the little bugs out first before you put down your hard earned money. When Harley came out in 2014 with their first liquid cooled bike they had unexpected issues with it and had to make changes, so first year bikes are subject to some problems. I am not trying to stop you from making a purchase, just giving you something to think about. I also do not think that a Scout would ever be a bike that a person can think of as the nicest bike he can ever own but more like the nicest bike he could afford. Now if you want it to be different and not like everybody elses you will have to do something to it such as some custom accessories or a real great custom paint job otherwise it will be just another Scout like anybody else can buy from the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for your answers guys so far .. you are very helpful ... captdanwh you are propably right but i think i will not have the patience to wait for a whole year ... :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Because this is a brand new model bike and not really tested yet except by the factory if i were you i would wait a year and buy one next year. I like the idea that you want to be a little different than everybody else as i do but let them get all the little bugs out first before you put down your hard earned money. When Harley came out in 2014 with their first liquid cooled bike they had unexpected issues with it and had to make changes, so first year bikes are subject to some problems. I am not trying to stop you from making a purchase, just giving you something to think about. I also do not think that a Scout would ever be a bike that a person can think of as the nicest bike he can ever own but more like the nicest bike he could afford. Now if you want it to be different and not like everybody elses you will have to do something to it such as some custom accessories or a real great custom paint job otherwise it will be just another Scout like anybody else can buy from the dealer.
While buying first year motorcycles can always be adventurous, comparing any brands first run with Harley Davidson is quite foolish, especially their liquid cooled motors. The only water cooled engine of note were designed by Porsche. I believe Indian knows that this "first run" may scare off some potential buyers and to alleviate any concerns, they are giving everyone a bumper to bumper 5 years warranty. I think this bike WILL be special and exclusive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
what do you think are the pros and cons of the new scout ? do you think is it worth the money and the delivery time for me ? i will really appreciate your answers and advices .... (sorry for my bad English) ...
Hi Spiros and welcome.

I’ve owned many bikes, owned, loved and hated Harleys for 28 of the last 40 years. Newest HD was a’97 Evo. I’m not a fan of Twin Cams and HD’s over the top lifestyle marketing has turned a badass machine and a cool subculture into a cartoon.

I wanted to buy one last brand new bike. I am partial to American made. I like the Adventure bikes but they are all too tall for me. A couple of the new Victory’s caught my eye but not enough to open my wallet. Same with Guzzi’s, Ducati’s and Triumphs. I even contemplated a KLR….

When Polaris bought Indian, I was thrilled. Finally, a company with the necessary financial and engineering clout was at the helm. I knew they would get rid of the boutique, high priced, re-badged, outdated Harley design and create an all new bike that truly deserved to be called an Indian. I was thrilled when they introduced the Thunderstroke, then the Chiefs. But…..they were big, heavy and raked out. Still, the new Indian had arrived in style. All reports were positive.

With the Scout un-veil I watched the Youtubes and read the specs and knew that Indian had finally built the bike I was after. High-tech frame, modern WC design, 100HP, 6 speeds, 29 degree rake, 560lbs, 26” seat height, no unnecessary chrome, covers, computer controlled riding modes, assisted braking, Bluetooth, stereos and all the other junk people seem to need on bikes these days. All for a great price. When the first ride reports came in, all positive, I reserved my Scout, in black of course.

Is it perfect? No. No stock bike is. The bars look weird, no gas gauge, more cruiser than standard, 3” shock travel, smallish gas tank etc. But an opportunity to be on the ground floor of a truly ground-breaking motorcycle was too good to pass up. The aftermarket will take care of any shortcomings, I hope.

Is there a risk buying a first run? Maybe. I’ve owned a Victory so have faith in Polaris' ability to build a good bike. Indian has way too much to lose by releasing an inferior product. The 5 yr warranty is an incentive and the Scout hasn’t been around long enough for the bean counters to look for ways to save money. Remember INA bearings in EVO’s.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
you have some very good points but let me add just a few things. Polaris is like you said a very big , well financed company but not quite the most adventurous co. in the world. take their atv's for instance as they have been out a long time with very little changes except engine sizes and suspension which everybody in the industry has to do or will fail big time, of course you can always go back to the saying , if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think Indian had to come up with that great warranty or it would have been a hard sell to draw customers away from their present rides. I really do hope that Indian quickly comes up with great accessories to make their rides even better but they are way behind in that catagory as i do not want to buy a bunch of after market parts made by other companies when Indian should be making them. you mentioned that Indian would not put out any inferior untested products but they already have a few pissed off customers with the leather saddlebag color fading and because they have only been out there a short time you can bet there will be many more issues as soon as guys (and girls) get more miles on their bikes, hopefully not but a good chance. not trying to start any arguments but i have been riding over 47 years and have seen it all happen in the past so i am just stating the facts. I really want Indian to succeed and wish them the best of luck as they will need it and remember there are leaders and then there are the followers and which one Indian will be will depend on a lot of issues.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Will be honest and say I would be a little leery of the Scout in it's First Year IF it was my only Ride .. Having a Tried and Proven Victory XC with 40,000 trouble free miles figure at least can still get my 2 wheel fix if needed .. The 5 Year is a good incentive to take a chance on a First Run to me as it's going be my Secondary Ride ..

·
Registered
90 Posts
you have some very good points but let me add just a few things.....

-I really do hope that Indian quickly comes up with great accessories to make their rides even better but they are way behind in that catagory as i do not want to buy a bunch of after market parts made by other companies when Indian should be making them.

-you mentioned that Indian would not put out any inferior untested products but they already have a few pissed off customers with the leather saddlebag color..... they have only been out there a short time you can bet there will be many more issues as soon as guys (and girls) get more miles on their bikes,

-not trying to start any arguments but i have been riding over 47 years and have seen it all happen in the past so i am just stating the facts.

-I really want Indian to succeed and wish them the best of luck as they will need it and remember there are leaders and then there are the followers and which one Indian will be will depend on a lot of issues.
Thanks for your comments and no argument here, just good motorcycle conversation! I'm well into 4+ decades of it myself..

I have no experience with Polaris other than Victory, so many of their other customers may fully be justified in avoiding a first year release. I realize I'm taking a big leap of faith having not even seen one...

I do know that any company bringing something to market has an uphill battle to sell untested technology, my own included. In a start-up situation like Indian,they better be pulling out all the stops to deliver a solid machine to the masses. The design team has built the Victory line so they are not untested. They need to create brand loyalty and all the faux history, rock star hype and T-shirts in the world won't do it. Any issue that happens, that isn't taken care of properly, (early Vic transmissions!!!) will be a death blow for the brand. I believe, by offering longer warranty a company is saying 'we believe in the product and will stand by it'.

I also know that sh!t does happen. All companies source items worldwide. Some of those items are also new to the market. It's how a company backs up their product that determines if their customer base is happy or not....Now that doesn't help the poor guy/gal whose bike is in the shop waiting for parts...

I do disagree somewhat on the aftermarket. Having built up a few HD's, I have found that name brand aftermarket equipment can be better quality than the OEM who will sometimes source from the cheapest vendors. I've had good luck with Progressive Suspension, Crane Cams, GMA and other quality companies that sell products that are an upgrade to stock replacement parts. Not all are - there's lots of junk out there.

Obviously by laying my money on the line I'm hoping the Scout will be trouble free and the 5 year warranty won't be needed. And, like you, I really hope Indian becomes a 'must have' motorcycle in the eyes of the public.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I also do not think that a Scout would ever be a bike that a person can think of as the nicest bike he can ever own but more like the nicest bike he could afford.
I think it comes down to perspective captdanwh, not the nicest bike you've ever owned but maybe the nicest bike other's have owned. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and with the great warranty, it will, but I could be wrong. Yeah, you are likely right, I can't afford right now (maybe never) a $20K Chief so maybe it is the best bike in the price range for me that I can afford.

Good comments though! Nicely done! :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Made the trip to Arlen Ness Motorcycles in Dublin CA (amazing place) for the Scout viewing today. Fit and finish is exceptional. Some say it is small and it really seems that way because it is so low slung (no frame rails so they could really drop the motor). It has a very comfortable seating position for my 5'11" height. The thing that probably impressed me the most was its lightness up top, it actually feels more like a 400 lb. motorcycle, a real plus in my opinion. This thing should hold it's own in the twisties. The stock pipes have a very impressive throaty sound, you should really hear them before plunging into the after market. My wife even liked it, so we are going in the right direction.... Yeah, I want one....

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think it comes down to perspective captdanwh, not the nicest bike you've ever owned by maybe the nicest bike other's have owned. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and with the great warranty, it will, but I could be wrong. Yeah, you are likely right, I can't afford right now (maybe never) a $20K Chief so maybe it is the best bike in the price range for me that I can afford.

Good comments though! Nicely done! :)
I agree with most of what you said, however for me This will be the fourth bike I've owned but the very first NEW bike and at my age probably my last.
After my wife was resolved to the fact I was getting another one. She suggested I ger a new one. Months of research and lookng around I was feld nothing came close to what I wanted and was going to settle on a metric. Indian was out as I could not afford one. That is until I stumbled is the unvailing at Sturgges. Best looking bike I have seen in the price range, with preformance to match. Rider reviews that are almost all positive. The warranty gives me a lot more confidence that this bike will be around for a long time. I bit the bullet and layed my money down. I will have to eventually accessorize it to fit my needs/wants. But I can't wait.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,052 Posts
Howdy Folks,
I figured the Scout would be the next model up, after the Chief. The Chief, as someone put it, is a Luddite exercise (look it up) in packaging modern technology in a vintage package. I like it because in many ways I have a 19th century sense of esthetics (Steampunk).

I think Indian made a wise choice in offering a modern motorcycle that has clearly American esthetics and style. I think it can compete head to head with Harley's Sportster and 500/750 Street models.

No, it doesn't look like a 1920's Scout, but then who wants to get out in 21st Century traffic with a side-valve engine, a 3-speed crash gear box, and brakes that will slow, but not stop the bike?

I think this bike will sell very well and the possibilities for other bikes based around this power-plant are considerable.

How about the GM EcoBoost aluminum block engine being used in the Slingshot 3-wheeler? How about an in-line Indian 4 luxo-tourer based around that engine? Hmmm?
--- Randall

·
Registered
30 Posts
Howdy Folks,
I figured the Scout would be the next model up, after the Chief. The Chief, as someone put it, is a Luddite exercise (look it up) in packaging modern technology in a vintage package. I like it because in many ways I have a 19th century sense of esthetics (Steampunk).

That was probably me, in which I was referring to the brand brainwashing that happens among the Harley crowd. To me, air cooled and spoke wheels are absolutely beautiful, but that doesn't mean they are superior. Try telling that to the faithful! I would probably own a Harley, if it wasn't for Harley owners.

Luddites = people attempting to resist advancement. The Thunderstoke engine is luddite in the sense that it is air cooled, otherwise the rest of engine (and the bike itself) is fully modern. It doesn't really irk me, but it's hard to deny that the Thunderstroke is just a "one-up" of a Harley engine... Indian was like the guy on The Price is Right who goes a dollar higher than the last guy.

Now onto the "Cons" of the Scout, for myself, I find the combination of forward controls and the distance to the bars makes me feel a bit... bent? I either need mid controls (ideally) or higher/longer bars.

The brakes and suspension are not that impressive spec wise, but they are adequate for their intended purpose. I might find myself trying to raise the seat height and gain ground clearance and performance with aftermarket shocks.

WHY WHY WHY is the needle a speedo and the tach a digital readout? I want a digital speedo and a needle tach like the rest of the motorcycle industry agrees is preferable.

Why skip "Pros?" cause I feel that Indian hit an absolute home run with everything else!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i downloaded the manual of the Scout .... what troubles me is the inspection / removal of the air filter ... very difficult ... read the manual and will see what i mean ... for someone like me that a dealer is not available near me that would be problem .....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Check out this recent review...

2015 Indian Scout: Ridden & Rated | Rider Magazine

I'm now glad that I bought the Scout with the extended reach foot controls (Reviewer is 6'2"), from there, maybe a change in handle bars and seat. Maybe I should just save the cost of accessories and buy a 2nd Indian? A nice Indian Red Chieftain ought to go nice with my Indian Red Scout! :D Of course the wife might not be happy since I promised we'd start looking for a house next summer.

Impatiently waiting for December and my Indian Red Scout...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts