Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Founding Member/ Moderator Emeritus
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard the 111 engine case has been "upgraded" where the oil drain plugs are located to combat the dreaded stripped oil drain plug threads. Does anyone have any information about this?

·
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it a common problem? Does it happen with trained techs or DIY oil change? Is it more prevalent in a specific year model or all 14-present?
Well, all I have is supposition and unconfirmed rumors, however I've heard the case was updated with more material around the drain plug area. This was a common problem on early SL Indians and this even goes back to the Victory days. It seems the later models do not have this problem that was a common occurrence in early production models. Again, this is supposition and rumor, was just seeing if there is any real info out there to substantiate.

·
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is no case change for drain plugs.
Cant fix stupid.
Torque spec for drain plugs are 15 ft lbs.
Thanks for the info Thomas. Education is a fix for stupid, however training and an open mind is paramount for fixing stupid.

·
Bronze member
3,742 Posts
just because you don't know it doesn't mean the tech doesn't do it... strips it out, goes to the part bin, gets the over-size plug and puts it in.... no one would know the difference

·
Registered
712 Posts
just because you don't know it doesn't mean the tech doesn't do it... strips it out, goes to the part bin, gets the over-size plug and puts it in.... no one would know the difference
There is no oversized plug in a parts room.
They would have to install a helicoil kit.
Eventually they leak so some way some how they keep it a secret.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Non of my techs have done it. Every one that we have ran into was due to a DIYer.
There is no oversized plug in a parts room.
They would have to install a helicoil kit.
Eventually they leak so some way some how they keep it a secret.
I know of a bike that has NEVER had a DIY'er change the oil, always done at a dealership, and alas, the scavenge side drain plug is stripped!! [wideyed] Why is it always the scavenge side?

·
4,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can't answer that question in regards to the scavenge side.
Yeah, no one else I've visited with can answer that question either. ...and this is just about the time the "updated case" conversation starts, you know, a friend of a friend heard.... ;)

·
Bronze member
1,798 Posts
I had my '14 Vintage stripped by the dealer. They made it right by putting in a time-sert and it's been drip free ever since (about 5 oil changes). I also heard that they beefed up the area in '16 but don't know for sure. When I recently changed the oil in my '17 Springfield, I didn't really pay attention to it so I can't confirm or deny the rumors myself.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.