Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post...sorry it's a bit wordy....
Well, it's time.
July 22nd, 2016 is a day I'll never forget, even if I don't remember what happened. Beautiful July evening, a putt to the next town over and back.
Didn't make it back for a month though. I just recall the nightmares and the nurse on one particular day....
"Do you know where you are and what happened?" Even if I did I couldn't talk as I was still intubated. She went on to say "you had an accident on your bike, you have a broken neck in three places, a broken back, head injury, and you've been here at St Pat's for two weeks".
You could imagine my response.
It's been 4 years now and I'm about as good as I'm gonna get. I've been rebuilt for the most part and can walk, talk and see out of one eye. Now it's time to rebuild the bike...with the wife's blessing.
Here are my questions: since most damage to the bike is superficial. In other words, if it stuck out, it got broken off. Frame, wheels and forks are straight except for rear seat frame member.
Bars, pipes, lights, brakes, mirrors, tank, fenders are toast. I basically have a clean sheet of paper to rebuild to my taste, but first I need resources for items like a new throttle/grip/ignition assembly, perhaps a new tank design (plus bigger), new fender style, unique mirrors, lighting, signals etc.
Some sources of things that are OEM without having to go through Indian and what is out there and who focuses on both custom and OEM Indian parts? Sure, a web search brings up hundreds of results, but I want to avoid the crappy stuff floating around.
Hell, I'd even consider a bitchen Springer or girder up front as a look changer even though mine forks are ok. Maybe in time.
A brother gave me a new set of mufflers off his rig to start me off.
Thanks in advance for any leads!

·
Bronze member
2,256 Posts
First post...sorry it's a bit wordy....
Well, it's time.
July 22nd, 2016 is a day I'll never forget, even if I don't remember what happened. Beautiful July evening, a putt to the next town over and back.
Didn't make it back for a month though. I just recall the nightmares and the nurse on one particular day....
"Do you know where you are and what happened?" Even if I did I couldn't talk as I was still intubated. She went on to say "you had an accident on your bike, you have a broken neck in three places, a broken back, head injury, and you've been here at St Pat's for two weeks".
You could imagine my response.
It's been 4 years now and I'm about as good as I'm gonna get. I've been rebuilt for the most part and can walk, talk and see out of one eye. Now it's time to rebuild the bike...with the wife's blessing.
Here are my questions: since most damage to the bike is superficial. In other words, if it stuck out, it got broken off. Frame, wheels and forks are straight except for rear seat frame member.
Bars, pipes, lights, brakes, mirrors, tank, fenders are toast. I basically have a clean sheet of paper to rebuild to my taste, but first I need resources for items like a new throttle/grip/ignition assembly, perhaps a new tank design (plus bigger), new fender style, unique mirrors, lighting, signals etc.
Some sources of things that are OEM without having to go through Indian and what is out there and who focuses on both custom and OEM Indian parts? Sure, a web search brings up hundreds of results, but I want to avoid the crappy stuff floating around.
Hell, I'd even consider a bitchen Springer or girder up front as a look changer even though mine forks are ok. Maybe in time.
A brother gave me a new set of mufflers off his rig to start me off.
Thanks in advance for any leads!
try contacting @dieselgman here

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
First up welcome. Sorry to hear of the accident, sounds like you were busted up pretty bad. And good to hear you are on the mend.

I had my face stoved in from being knocked off my bike many years ago. They managed to put me back to together (frames and wires around my head made me into a tv antenna for a while) and I was in the bike shop still on crutches and a leg in plaster. For some of us, bikes have a greater pull than we know. I hope you get back on the road soon.

+1 for dieselgman. He buys damaged bikes and often has used parts for sale.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You did not mention what year/model bike you have? The 2 places I get most of my stuff is Ebay and Craigslist. Esp. if your building on a budget. Good to here you are recovering.
I have always liked the look of a Girder. There is an outfit selling a reproduction of the 46-47 Chief Girder on Ebay. Watch the prices as they range from around a grand to 1,500. You can make your bike look like a 47 Chief. Good luck with you build.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Use caution on the Ebay girders,check out The Doghouse video on youtube.He got one for a build and it is dangerous for use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts