Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody knows the number of scouts that will be produced for 2015? I've tried googling with no success!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It won't be enough to satisfy everyone that wants one.
That's my concern :S. Have been waiting for a dealership to get one in so I can get a feel for it. By that time, I will probably be looking at a 2016 model!

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I've posted this before. At the demo ride event on Nov 12 I was talking with the Indian factory rep. He told me this " the assembly line is small and with it being a new model we expect to build about 100 Scouts per week. The first bikes will be made late Nov or 1st week of Dec."

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
I really don't have a clue but as long as there is more demand than supply think they will keep pumping them out but think will see some improvements and/or modifications for the 2016 and if they want a line of Buyers they better have them ready by Early September where people can enjoy them for a while before the snow flies for those up north that want them .. To make people wait again like they did on the 2015 won't fly and if they try it, think will be bad mistake to do so ..

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've posted this before. At the demo ride event on Nov 12 I was talking with the Indian factory rep. He told me this " the assembly line is small and with it being a new model we expect to build about 100 Scouts per week. The first bikes will be made late Nov or 1st week of Dec."
If that is the least true, then we are in deep doodoo. Let's assume there are north of 200 Indian dealers ( Indian Motorcycle roars back into business with new shop in Olathe | The Kansas City Star ) Let's assume the average dealer was expected to sell 10, but in fact sold twenty units, I think that's realistic... but, no, let's underestimate, we'll go ahead and halve what I think is reasonable, and posit just the ten expected. That's twenty weeks. Which doesn't include a couple for each showroom floor(trying to be best case scenario here, so not counting another four weeks for showrooms). Thus, if everything goes like clockwork, optimistically, the initial first run stretches to the end of March. Look at it the other way round: To deliver the first run at that rate they would have to sell no more than 400 for December, not accounting for Christmas and New Year's off.

Once thing Science teaches us: You cannot bullsh!t the numbers. The numbers don't look promising.

·
5,337 Posts
While the Scout is a Hot Seller right Now .. Think you will see them available and ready to buy by June sitting on the Floor .. But by this time they better have some Hot Plans to keep them Rolling in 2016 as stated before with some Options like ABS, Two Tone Colors, Dresser Style with Windshield and Bags , etc.. That's how you take advantage of a Market, and if a Dummy like me can figure this out I am sure the Brains in Polaris can as well ..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once thing Science teaches us: You cannot bullsh!t the numbers. The numbers don't look promising.
agreed. I called one of the Canadian dealers today(I'm willing to fly to ANY Canadian dealer for purchase), and I asked when they expected to have one available to sit on(showroom), I was basically told I could put my name on the list to buy one and that I would be number 12. Once I pay them, I can sit on it all day long.. haha. :S

Turns out...I might have something for Polaris to sit on!!! j/k

·
Registered
748 Posts
As with any new process - things start slow and things get improved and the numbers should increase. I would give it a few months before you can judge the velocity in which the bikes can be built.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im hoping to be in the market in 4-12 months. I see some people have backed out on a few bikes so some dealers have a spare. I expect by End of April they should start getting limited inventory in once the 100/week catches them up for 4-5 months. I would wait as so far i see nothing that strikes me as much as the Scout although wife wants me to ride some used Victories to see if i like them.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
FWIW --- Nick counts 200 in his "I've put a deposit down" thread, but only 49 in his "I've got my Scout" thread. How accurate is this? How far can we extrapolate this? Dunno. But on the face of it only a quarter of promised deliveries were actually achieved.

·
5,337 Posts
FWIW --- Nick counts 200 in his "I've put a deposit down" thread, but only 49 in his "I've got my Scout" thread. How accurate is this? How far can we extrapolate this? Dunno. But on the face of it only a quarter of promised deliveries were actually achieved.
Depends There .. When they actually ordered it whether a First Run .. While I did order mine through Indian Website in Early August I didn't confirm with a Cash Deposit until close to the end of the deadline as was thinking possibly go with a Roadmaster .. I am #90 on that list and didn't put it up there until Late September so have to figure Many of them after me were past the deadline when they ordered ..

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Depends There .. When they actually ordered it whether a First Run .. While I did order mine through Indian Website in Early August I didn't confirm with a Cash Deposit until close to the end of the deadline as was thinking possibly go with a Roadmaster .. I am #90 on that list and didn't put it up there until Late September so have to figure Many of them after me were past the deadline when they ordered ..
Or many more like you and I put our money down at the last minute, and/or many more didn't find the forum to add their name on the list until the last minute... there's gobs of things we don't know. I'm perfectly willing to accept a more reliable answer. Is there one? Are there any better figures available? Where do you think we might find better numbers?

We certainly don't get squat out of Spirit Lake.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Having worked in hi tech mfg for launching new products and in sales i am sure all it takes is either a vendor/internally made single part shortage/delay, or a manufacturing process issue (ie paint) or a test issue or too much demand to exceed their initial capacity to produce to cause the inability to deliver all these bikes by their goal of December. Something wasnt in control.

Issues come up....they just do. Its difficult in my opinion to manage the communication for exactly when a problem will be corrected to tell you when a specific bike will get off the line. I know i hated making a commitment on a correction to schedule and then having that slip....but no ability to respond wasnt good either. Indian seemed to decide to delay official communication that they couldnt meet December which ultimately as a customer really was frustrating and hurt their brand. They dont want to give HD any ammo on them.

I cant say im surprised as i think Polaris is still a small player that hasnt learned to execute quite yet to its plan. They designed a super intriguing product under a great brand and marketed it quite well but just caved in the launch process due to one or more factors that got out of control. They need to spend the time to learn from this...ideally making it right to those customers they missed their commitment with to restore confidence. Would a $100 ir $200 indian gift certificate make people feel better once you get your bike?

Bottom line is this is a brand new bike which had a higher risk of launch delays due to that. There is more risk of product issues too with these first run bikes...its a fact so expect some recalls. Bikes as we know are more susceptible to a part breaking causing a safety issue too so got to fix those if there is risk. We have no idea yet on those gents and ladies...expect it though.

It would be interesting to contact Polaris and see if they would bite at taking this group of customers as a focus group study to learn from this. I will see if i can dig up somebody in Polaris. Could be fun to help the company we are investing in.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Spoke to Duane Hernley. All but four out of two dozen pre-orders have arrived at his dealership. Mine is one of the four. No word when the next batch is due. Some dealers, I take it, have still received zero or few.

An email is cheap. They have our email addresses.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts