Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of kicking around the idea of maybe trading in my 2017 Chieftain for a 2019 or up Chieftain. I have had a couple problems with my 17. The same problems that are always mentioned. A VR, wheel sensor, crap paint and now gear indicator. Don't really trust it anymore. My question is has there been any problems with the newer Chieftains? I'm not bashing Indian. I'm actually looking at staying with Indian I might have one of those Monday or Friday built bikes. I've never had a bike going into the shop or with problems like I have with this one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've never had a bike going into the shop or with problems like I have with this one.

That line should tell you some about the brand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a ‘15 chieftain for 5 years and 30k miles before trading it in for a challenger. My bike had the TPMS in the that was a little finicky and the gear selected has a recall and other than normal maintenance it wasn’t at the shop. I think all machines can have issues. HD is it’s 4th gen oil pump for their new motor and it’s been like three years.

dealerships make the maintenance aspect of owning a bike. forcenthem to honor the warrantee and make it right. I don’t think spending 27k ona new one is the anawer

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have no less than four recalls on my brand new 2019 Chieftain Limited. These are copied directly from Polaris website: NHTSA Descriptions: 1. OXIDATION ON THE CONTACTS OF THE GEAR POSITION SWITCH MAY CAUSE A CHANGE IN RESISTANCE VALUES RESULTING IN THE RIDER DISPLAY INDICATING AN INCORRECT GEAR. INCORRECT GEAR INDICATION DURING START-UP CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH. 2. INDIAN MOTORCYCLE HAS DETERMINED THAT THE TAIL LIGHTS ON 2019 CHIEFTAIN MODELS DO NO MEET THE BRIGHTNESS INTENSITY REQUIREMENTS DEFINED BY THE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) 108 REGULATIONS. THE TAIL LIGHTS ARE TOO BRIGHT. DUE TO THE INCREASED INTENSITY, OTHER DRIVERS MAY HAVE A PROBLEM DETERMINING IF BRAKES ARE ENGAGED, INCREASING THE RISK OF A COLLISION. 3. INDIAN MOTORCYCLE HAS IDENTIFIED SOME 2019 INDIAN (111 C.I.) MOTORCYCLES BUILT FROM 2/12/2019 THROUGH 7/31/2019 MAY HAVE A 10A CIRCUIT BREAKER THAT DOES NOT MEET QUALITY STANDARDS. AFFECTED CIRCUIT BREAKERS DO NOT MEET FUNCTIONAL SPECIFICATIONS AND MAY CAUSE AN ENGINE TO UNEXPECTEDLY STOP RUNNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH. 4. OXIDATION ON THE CONTACTS OF THE GEAR POSITION SWITCH MAY CAUSE AN INCREASE IN RESISTANCE VALUES, RESULTING IN THE MOTORCYCLE DISPLAYING NEUTRAL WHILE PHYSICALLY IN GEAR. A FALSE NEUTRAL INDICATION DURING START-UP CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH. This part won't be available until May of this year according to the dealer I bought the bike from. The first three have been taken care of by the dealer before I rode the bike off their lot and so far the bike is running and driving good and I am happy with the quality of this product.....so far.

Tim

Reactions: Kost

·
Bronze member
3,439 Posts
actually you have 3... number 1 and 4 are the same... and that recall is for all 111's from '14 - '19 year models... I don't remember the remedy for the tail lights... but the 10 amp fuse if you lived to far away from a dealer could be bought for around $8 at an auto parts store... but like you said all in all not a problem and my 18 Limited is the best bike I've owned...

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
actually you have 3... number 1 and 4 are the same... and that recall is for all 111's from '14 - '19 year models... I don't remember the remedy for the tail lights... but the 10 amp fuse if you lived to far away from a dealer could be bought for around $8 at an auto parts store... but like you said all in all not a problem and my 18 Limited is the best bike I've owned...

The tail light fix is a VCM flash

·
Registered
259 Posts
Item 1 was just a cleaning of the switch assembly but that did not work so it turned into item 4 which is to replace the whole switch assembly with a re-designed version which is not yet available. I will be careful not to start my bike unless I am sitting on it ready to ride until this switch is replaced.

Tim

·
Bronze member
3,439 Posts
yeah I roll mine just to make sure... habit from when I was a kid on any bike I've owned... but mine hasn't shown any problem yet.

Reactions: masspatriot

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I have had a couple problems with my 17. The same problems that are always mentioned. A VR, wheel sensor, crap paint and now gear indicator.

I've never had a bike going into the shop or with problems like I have with this one.
I'm a bit confused by this. Are you saying that your bike has been going into the shop a lot, but only for the same few problems?

I don't know what VR refers to, but the wheel sensors are the same across all year models, same with the gear sensor. When they get the new gear sensor out this year that's one problem that will finally be solved for all of us.

The Indian wheel sensor replacements are expensive. However, there are threads on here about buying them elsewhere for much less. I had one replaced on my 2018 under warranty, the other one is OK. I don't know why some batteries last longer, some people seem to never have problems with them.

The soft paint was a common complaint with the earlier models and they set up a new painting facility to get better quality. Some people still have problems with scuffing but it seems like the number of complaints on the forum has dropped. My black dark horse paint has no problem, so the issue might be more for the gloss bikes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Taken everything into consideration and not being a brand loyal guy. It doesn't make sense to trade one Chieftain in for another and since I don't trust the reliability of my Chieftain. I may look at a Goldwing or Ventura. No sense having a bike you don't trust but, still thinking.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
The 2014 Indian Chieftain that I bought used has had few problems. The VCM recall which was completed solving the problem of no front running lights, the shift indicator that actually never has given me a problem which still has not been done, and the Cushman drive relaxed under warranty. Remember the 2014s came with the 5 year factory warranty.
My dealer where the motorcycle was originally purchased new, has been fantastic. Excellent service manager and staff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a bit confused by this. Are you saying that your bike has been going into the shop a lot, but only for the same few problems?

I don't know what VR refers to, but the wheel sensors are the same across all year models, same with the gear sensor. When they get the new gear sensor out this year that's one problem that will finally be solved for all of us.

The Indian wheel sensor replacements are expensive. However, there are threads on here about buying them elsewhere for much less. I had one replaced on my 2018 under warranty, the other one is OK. I don't know why some batteries last longer, some people seem to never have problems with them.

The soft paint was a common complaint with the earlier models and they set up a new painting facility to get better quality. Some people still have problems with scuffing but it seems like the number of complaints on the forum has dropped. My black dark horse paint has no problem, so the issue might be more for the gloss bikes.
Different problems but, not a lot. Never had any problems with my Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasaki or my Victory. So, in my opinion 1 or 2 problems is a problem but, still thinking on it. VR is voltage rectifier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
19 Chieftain here and the only drama I’ve had is with the windscreen switch from day one. The bikes been brilliant otherwise.

·
Rider
1,183 Posts
Yeah we have a 2019 chieftain dark horse.
No problems with the paint being soft.
The paint is awesome on this bike.
I did however had a gloss black Victory hammer before this one and the paint was so soft looking at it wrong way it scratched.
It had all swirls from cleaning and looked like buff machine swirls.
It was a mess but i loved it and delt with it.
This bike only has 3 recalls i consider minor.
The 10A engine circuit breaker.
Dealer says they havent found any failed units so far but there is a recall to have it covered.
I will eventually stop in and have them change it 5 min job.
The tail lights because they are led I guess are too bright running lights and the idiots in the cars cant determine if the brakes are on or off. Had it flashed and you know what? its a nicer light running verses braking.
A 5 min flash to vcm. A great improvement.
The last is the gear indicator.
My take is if you crash your bike because of it being in gear and run thru back of garage you shouldnt be on this bike period. if your that dumb you leave it in gear and just hit start.
The only thing with this for me would be annoying being in different gear showing while riding.
So far mine is good 5k miles and I wont do anything till it acts up.
Yes its 28 grand but its the nicest bike ive ever had. I have had many different brands and types.
Indian is just being proactive and wanting to give the best to the customer making this right.

·
Bronze member
1,817 Posts

That line should tell you some about the brand.
Let me tell you about my 2007 CVO Road King and the three year saga of the CVO110 motor and thousands of head replacements. and dozens of motor replacements.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Different problems but, not a lot. Never had any problems with my Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasaki or my Victory. So, in my opinion 1 or 2 problems is a problem but, still thinking on it. VR is voltage rectifier.
Thanks. I'd not thought of voltage reg, mostly my head abbreviates it to RR, regulator/rectifier. Mine was replaced under warranty, and I've heard of a few others but only here on the forum, nobody I ride with etc. Mine would play up in wet weather but I didn't realize what it was until one day saw the readout telling me it was charging at over 16 volts. The dealer had a new one in the bike the next day.

And I get what you mean with the Jap bikes. I've had Honda, Suzuki, still have a Kawasaki, and not a problem with them over many years of riding. I know my next bike won't be Indian, I'll be going back to a smaller lighter bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No problems here except I now go for rides just to ride. First big bike coming from dual sport and adventure bikes.
First 600 mile service will clean up any minor recalls, and that is what they are, minor.
2019 CDH

·
Rider
1,073 Posts
Missed mention of the paint on the 2014. Excellent paint. Indian red. Wish they still had the color on the new classic
Have a 2016 Chieftain in Indian Motorcycle Red, my paint seems very good, no problems with it at all. No other issues with this 2016.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts