Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Classic. This morning a problem starting my bike has repeated itself for the third time (in about a four month period). After I press the red button, and then the power button, the bike does turn on, but the screen where it indicates what gear you are in, is showing only hyphens. The kickstand is up. After cycling through the start-up procedure a couple of times, the bike seems to re-set, and the bike starts up just fine.

Am I doing something incorrectly? Is it possible the kick-stand which is up, is somehow registering to the computer the bike should not start? I usually start the bike in first gear, and of course have the clutch in.

Maybe I should just leave the bike in neutral when I park, and start from there...

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Do you wait a couple seconds after hitting power button? I've noticed that when I go thru the routine without the fob present and use the turn signal switch to power up the hyphens are there and then go away before hitting starter. Just a thought.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 2015 Classic. This morning a problem starting my bike has repeated itself for the third time (in about a four month period). After I press the red button, and then the power button, the bike does turn on, but the screen where it indicates what gear you are in, is showing only hyphens. The kickstand is up. After cycling through the start-up procedure a couple of times, the bike seems to re-set, and the bike starts up just fine.

Am I doing something incorrectly? Is it possible the kick-stand which is up, is somehow registering to the computer the bike should not start? I usually start the bike in first gear, and of course have the clutch in.

Maybe I should just leave the bike in neutral when I park, and start from there...

Any suggestions?
If your LCD is showing only hyphens instead of N in the gear indicater when you power up the bike it is the battery in the key fob that needs changing, I had the same problem happen to me a month ago on my Vintage, changed the key fob battery, starting problem gone.

·
Super Moderator
4,834 Posts
If your LCD is showing only hyphens instead of N in the gear indicater when you power up the bike it is the battery in the key fob that needs changing, I had the same problem happen to me a month ago on my Vintage, changed the key fob battery, starting problem gone.
Yep, me too.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have had the hyphens a couple of times and it seemed like the neutral gear switch was not getting the message. Started the bike with kickstand up and clutch in and got it into first and all was good. I usually start with hitting the start button twice then wonder why we have the power button.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,351 Posts
I have had the hyphens a couple of times and it seemed like the neutral gear switch was not getting the message. Started the bike with kickstand up and clutch in and got it into first and all was good. I usually start with hitting the start button twice then wonder why we have the power button.

I only use the power button to turn it off.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,247 Posts
You can simply hit the start button twice. I hit it once, wait a few seconds until all the computer driven systems are up and running and then hit the button again. Never any issues.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Yup, you need to hit the power button, wait a few seconds for the computer to boot and your fuel pump to pump up then start. Never had any issues when I do this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank all for your suggestions. I am pressing the power button, then red - and so far everything is working well. Here in New Orleans, I have yet to run into another Indian bike on the road, but I am sure I will at some time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts