Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Problems installing usb retrofit on 2018 scout

980 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Colin B.
I’m attempting to install the usb retrofit kit on my 2018 scout. I’m having a couple of problems with connectors. I have removed the headlight and now I’m trying to disconnect the speedometer.
The only connector is a rectangular gray plastic piece with all the wires running to it. I have pulled and tugged until I can’t feel my hands, but it refuses to budge.

1. Is there a trick to getting this piece disconnected that does not involve breaking it, cutting/splicing wires or a hernia?

2. When I took the headlight off, the two small wires jumped around when I got them disconnected before I looked to see which plug went to which wire. (Yes, I’m an idiot). I assume on the headlight side that brown is the ground wire, but on the wire that runs into the wiring harness, there is one that shows some purplish pink wire and the other one is solid black with no wire showing. I really don’t want to wire these in reverse when I put it back on.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Use a pair of duckbill or needle nose to squeeze the tab on the speedo to get it loose. I had a cloth on it so I would not scratch or do anything extra .

You should be able to match the brown wire from the harness to the brown wire from the assembly. If I remember correctly when I did mine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use a pair of duckbill or needle nose to squeeze the tab on the speedo to get it loose. I had a cloth on it so I would not scratch or do anything extra .

You should be able to match the brown wire from the harness to the brown wire from the assembly. If I remember correctly when I did mine .

The needle nose worked great. Thank you so much. Still have the second problem with the wiring, but I may have to go with best guess and hope for the best.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at the part now where I have to
"Slide collar (A) off USB module (1)..." according to the instructions. I've tried brute force, tools (pliers and needle nose), prayer, and cursing. Nothing seems to be able to separate them. Does anyone have any tips on this?
A good dealer would explain to you how to put it back together right, rather than randomly choose which wire.
I plan on calling the dealer in the morning before I connect those wires. I was hoping someone knew which wires in the harness were hot and ground.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You tube, Jay Fast.. he did it to a 2018 bobber.. a little different , but mostly the same

Thank you! Again I was looking at it wrong. It came off way easier once I saw him do it in the video. I think after this is done, I'll post a how and how not to install the retrofit.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Install completed. The wiring was black to black and brown to whatever that other color is. Thank you JJHEMPHILL for the advise and the video. I will be adding to this post to make a "Complete Idiot's Guide to Installing a USB Retrofit" for those, like me, who should not be working on their bikes unsupervised.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Complete Idiot's Guide to Installing the USB Retrofit Kit on your 2018 Scout
I will not go over the whole installation. Just the parts that tripped me up. You will have to readjust your handlebars and possibly your headlight, so be prepared for that. You will need a philips head screw, drivers, allen keys of different sizes, and the star-shaped allen-key-lookin' wrench.

1. Watch this
video before you even break out the tools. It is for a Scout Bobber, but the experience is similar. A regular scout is actually a little less complicated.

2. Before you go on a disconnecting frenzy for the headlight, take some white-out, chalk, colored tape, blood (your own, hopefully), or whatever you have available and mark each side of the connections on the small wire coming from the headlight into the harness. This will keep you from having a "Did-I-see-which-wires-were-connected-to-each-other?" moment like I did.

3. The main (big) headlight connector is tight. It will come off with some brute strength.

4. Use long nose pliers to pull apart the connections on the small wire. REMEMBER: LABEL THEM FIRST!

5. When you start to remove the speedometer assembly, remember to put towels down over your tank. Your handlebars may fall down and hit it. (Mine didn't, but I quickly realized it was a possibility).

6. When disconnecting the speedometer, use a pair of duck bill or long nose pliers (Thanks, JJHEMPHILL) to squeeze the tab inward as you pull. It's a whole lot easier than trying to do it with your fingers.

7. When separating the speedometer from the speedometer mount, turn the whole thing sideways and push hard on the bottom of the speedometer. Yes, in the directions, it shows what looks like screw threads; they are not threads. They are a rubber piece which acts as a bottle stopper.

8. The instructions just say to slide the collar off the USB module. The collar slides down the wire. You don't have to pull on both parts to make this happen. Cursing (and perhaps damage) will ensue if you try to pull them apart.

9. If the screw holes don't line up when you are putting the speedometer assembly back together, you are putting it on upside down. (Yes, I tried to do this).

10. You may need another person to help you keep the handlebars from falling when you bolt the speedometer assembly back on. My daughter graciously came out in her bare feet to help me with this. The handlebars and the speedometer assembly were working against each other.

I hope this helps someone who may run into these stumbling blocks. The installation was a success even though I am mechanically clueless and disorganized with my tools and workspace. The forum members were very helpful and were helping me in real time. This took me about 4 hours to do, but most of that was spent looking for the right tool or banging my head against the wall because I was looking at the problem from the wrong side. Knowing what I now know, this could be done in less than an hour. Most of that would be spent gathering tools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.