Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this thread is not used too much. Since I had my Springfield re-flashed 2 weeks ago I have occasional small backfiring. Sometimes it has trouble starting and sometimes it dies as I takeoff. It could have been leaned out too much. The problems are small but new since the re-flash. I have just purchased a AFR gauge so I will check to see if I need to adjust my Dobeck EJK. I will let you know if that helps. Also another rider in my IMRG says his bike sometimes won't start at all and the lights on gauge don't come on.

I don't want to start complaining but if you have noticed a real difference for the worse please let us know. Many say they think their bike runs better. Hopefully this is the norm.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same here (mild popping when I down shift). When I take off in 1st from a stop it does not respond as quick as it did before. I have a Thunder Works 3X intake, Dobeck EJK, gutted pipes and stage 2 cams. My Dobeck is set up for go now and go fast.

·
Bronze member
2,200 Posts
The latest recall flash DOES CHANGE the fueling!
At idle I see at least 1 point difference in AFR. While before flash our factory TS111 maps (including the stage I s) were famous for being lean(er) on idle and cruise (EPA compliance) NOW after reflash I see much richer AFRs at idle ... this explains people saying the bike sounds/runs smoother now AND the occasional pops ... still checking the other rev ranges.

It seems that Indian finally came to the conclusion to enrich the formerly lean(er) ranges (and slightly take away fuel in the extremely rich upper rev ranges) ... lets see.

In any case: Anyone with a aftermarket fuel controller SHOULD revisit his map again now after the flash. All piggyback fuel controllers work relative to the current ECU tune. This explains the new felt sluggishness ... especially if a fuel controller sits on top.

Was it worth it? For me YES! Now I have all the nice upgrades which my dealer was reluctant to do on my early 2014 Chief (BTO, LED light compatibility, ALARM) FOR FREE!
(Alarm is already in use by me and new LED lights work without burning wattage via resistor!)

·
Rider
521 Posts
Glad i saw this thread b/c i had my Springfield at the shop 2 weeks ago for the ECU Miss firing update....About a week ago i heard a loud "pop" at a light while idle, it scared the bejesus outta me..lol
then about 2 days later i heard it again, this time when throttling and up shifting... spoke to dealear and they said to speak with Shop manager, have not had chance to do so as of yet but it seems to be an existing issue if many of us are experiencing it...
Also, someone above mentioned, feeling a bit sluggish off 1st, i agree !!!!
Bike Springfield
Miles=1700..

·
Rider
521 Posts
forgot to mention, I have Reinhart Pipes and Indian High Flow Air filter as well, wondering if the reflash doesn't "agree" with the Reinharts ???

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
At idle I see at least 1 point difference in AFR. While before flash our factory TS111 maps (including the stage I s) were famous for being lean(er) on idle and cruise (EPA compliance) NOW after reflash I see much richer AFRs at idle ... this explains people saying the bike sounds/runs smoother now AND the occasional pops ... still checking the other rev ranges.

It seems that Indian finally came to the conclusion to enrich the formerly lean(er) ranges (and slightly take away fuel in the extremely rich upper rev ranges) ... lets see.

In any case: Anyone with a aftermarket fuel controller SHOULD revisit his map again now after the flash. All piggyback fuel controllers work relative to the current ECU tune. This explains the new felt sluggishness ... especially if a fuel controller sits on top.

Was it worth it? For me YES! Now I have all the nice upgrades which my dealer was reluctant to do on my early 2014 Chief (BTO, LED light compatibility, ALARM) FOR FREE!
(Alarm is already in use by me and new LED lights work without burning wattage via resistor!)
Yes, that is the point of the flash. I do not have a fuel controller and mine runs great. I haven't had one back fire or stall since the flash (fingers crossed). Many of the people I see complain about runability issues after the flash have a fuel controller of some sort.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I hope this thread is not used too much. Since I had my Springfield re-flashed 2 weeks ago I have occasional small backfiring. Sometimes it has trouble starting and sometimes it dies as I takeoff. It could have been leaned out too much. The problems are small but new since the re-flash. I have just purchased a AFR gauge so I will check to see if I need to adjust my Dobeck EJK. I will let you know if that helps. Also another rider in my IMRG says his bike sometimes won't start at all and the lights on gauge don't come on.

I don't want to start complaining but if you have noticed a real difference for the worse please let us know. Many say they think their bike runs better. Hopefully this is the norm.
No issues here.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Please keep us updated with the other rev. ranges.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have the Dobeck fuel control, having recall done this week. Should we be removing them before reflash is preformed. Sounds like they might cause problem.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
My Check Engine light comes on a lot more. The code reads "misfire detected". Check engine light came on only once in 5000 miles before the reflash. Now it seems to come on every other day. Had a couple other codes too. Nothing serious, but it bugs me to have that light come on so often. Also the bike doesn't seem to idle as smoothly as it did before.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the Springfield was not included in the recall?
My dealer said he wanted to do the refresh. I let him do it. I didn't know it was not included. My guess is that the Springfields already had the latest flash anyway.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My 14 chieftain is stock and I an having stalling issues now occasionally when I start the bike. It has happened when the bike is cold and hot.
Today while riding with 5 hds, my bike died when I started it twice. Should have seen the looks and heard the comments the girl on the Indian took today!

·
Vendor / bronze
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here. I stalled at take off from a light with a HD guy right behind me. It is impossible to re-start it fast enough to look cool. I spend too much time not looking cool.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I have the Dobeck fuel control, having recall done this week. Should we be removing them before reflash is preformed. Sounds like they might cause problem.
No need to remove the Dobeck, just dis-connect the negative wire that powers the Dobeck. It is an after ECM device.........

1 - 20 of 53 Posts