Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the scariest thing ever, on a tight turn and moving slow , their foot hit sand and slipped causing the bike and rider to go down. With the rider off and on the ground the bike on its side and still moving in a large circle, the bike cams back around and hit the rider! Someone please tell me how the hell that happened?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok , that makes sense to a degree, but in first gear and you let go of Throttle and clutch shouldn’t the bike bike stall?

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
Baron58 is correct. It takes a few moments to stall even at a slow speed since these bikes have an anti stall "cut-in" feature for those that don't downshift to 1st at a slow speed. This feature prevents the bike from stalling and feeds a bit of fuel for a second.

And in sand I can see that back tire still maybe spinning and hitting and grabbing some sand as it is moving around a bit in soft material.

However, I can't see it lasting more than a second or two. And if you fell off at that speed you would like jump up out of shock and move away from the bike or try to pick it up.

In a crash at some speed (not sure what that is) the bike would cut off based on the tip over sensor, slide out and the emergency flashers would kick on. There is a picture on this forum of a bag that did exactly that. Just as it was designed to do.

And where the heck were you riding a Vintage and turning anywhere near sand? Belt driven bikes should not be any where near sand as it will throw it up on belt and damage your belt as it grinds it up with the pulley.

No if you were at the Bonneville salt flats. I can give you a pass. Don't ask me how I know!:cool:

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There are a few posts of people who've dropped their bike and the cut-off switch didn't turn off the motor. I suspect it's the bars that mean it doesn't go over far enough as Baron58 said. I've dropped my Springfield in slow u-turns and with those stories in mind I try to remember to keep my thumb near the stop switch when I'm turning, just in case.

An alternative is to adjust the tune and reduce the rpm for the anti-stall cutout. The stock setting is about 1100 rpm (it varies with speed and what gear), I've got mine set to 50 rpm over idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Above are the pictures of the damage the bike did to the road as it continued to run on its side. It almost did a huge figure 8 . it was far more than on or two seconds. We were on black top road , there was sand because of the Great Lakes , so not riding a sand dune..... lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for you in put it does help me wrap my head around this. I thought the bike was going to end up in the lake at the end of the street , but then it came around and hit the rider. I was mortified! Luckily the rider had minor injuries and walked away.

·
Bronze member
4,167 Posts
About a year and a half a go a poster here showed pictures of his dropped bike that wouldn't shutoff. He said it was flopping all over the ground like a fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts