Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Kuryakyn mini floorboards on my Bobber today and now I’m having a bit of trouble getting my boot under the shifter to upshift. Anyone else encounter this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,095 Posts
You can also adjust the angle of the floorboards. Loosen the bolt, adjust the angle, and tighten.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can also adjust the angle of the floorboards. Loosen the bolt, adjust the angle, and tighten.
Yes, I should have added I was hoping to keep the angle as is but I may not have a choice.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Had the same problem and the smarty pants I am (or better: I thought I was :ROFLMAO::rolleyes::sneaky:) adjusted the shift rod out until it worked. Geared up and got off on a test ride, just out my driveway and .........kind of immediately turned around. Couldn't upshift anymore, not even to neutral :unsure:. My solution (since I liked that steeper angle): I ordered and installed the AeroMach heel-toe shifter. Works like a champ and didn't limit or reduce the lean angle like a lowered floorboard would (y):)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I did not adjust the length of the shift rod because it is only for fine adjustments (+|- 1/4”) but removed the 10 mm bolt holding the rear shift rod to the shifter arm (see splines) and rotate the lever after pulling the arm off the splines and rotate until you get enough clearance for your toe. You can mark the original position with a black marker if you ever want to return to the stock position. Also make sure you start with the gear in neutral. Also wear your biggest (tallest toe) boot so you only have to do this once.

Tim

·
Rider
764 Posts
I installed the Kuryakyn mini floorboards on my Bobber today and now I’m having a bit of trouble getting my boot under the shifter to upshift. Anyone else encounter this?

Yeah those mini’s don’t work well up front.. take um off put um on the passenger mounts. Then buy the OEM Boards and fit them to the front. Boards and raising the shifter go Hand and hand.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the OEM boards but I also have the Indian Scout shifter and brake pegs. Those pegs have a much larger diameter than the standard ones. I could not adjust the shift rod enough to that so I too got the Aeromach heel toe shifter kit. Great product. I'm really liking the combo. Couldn't be happier.

You could try the longer shifter link that Indian sells. That should raise the toe up.

However, I really like the set up with the Aeromach heel toe shifter kit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also flattened out the pedal using the shifter rod. I can feel the heel shift peg better with it above the board more.

That's about a quarter inch from the jam nut to the end of the threads.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Haha. What is that for? And is it like $100?

It cleans up the coolant hose area IMO. Looks better. More finished. Look at my pictures and see if you agree.

It's not Indian branded so on Amazon it's $48 or so.

Worth it for that price.

·
Founding Member
1,932 Posts
Adjusting the shift link rod is only part of the equation, and should not be the primary method to raise your shift lever. You can loosen and remove the shift lever that is attached to the spline shaft at the engine case, then rotate it a spline or two, and re-install. The important thing that will allow the assembly to work as designed is that you maintain a parallelogram between the shift rod and the two arms. If you change the length of the shift linkage rod too much, you will lose this parallelogram and most likely will create shift problems. You do not need floorboards that are lower than the stock pegs. We have many customers with our floorboards with size 13 boots that have no problems, and our boards sit at the same height as stock pegs so as not to reduce your cornering clearance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you mount the Kuryakyn Minis almost parallel to the ground (like @Gort's look to be), you have enough "toe-room" for even size 16 boots.:geek: But with my long legs and the extended reach mounts for my pegs/boards, I'd like to have the boards even steeper than the "recommended" 15 degrees - if you look at my picture a few posts above and below, I'm probably closer to 30 degrees the way I have them on my bike. I bet there is no system out there that would allow me to get my size 10 toes under the shifter - except maybe lowering the boards dramatically and you all know what that means for cornering. :eek: Last comment to my preferred angle: With my feet that far in front of me, that steeper angle leaves them at a more natural 90-degree angle to my legs. Know what I mean? But that's me and my personal preference - everybody has his/her own (y):cool:

Reactions: CAL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went this route and installed it today. It works absolutely perfectly; couldn’t be happier.

Had the same problem and the smarty pants I am (or better: I thought I was :ROFLMAO::rolleyes::sneaky:) adjusted the shift rod out until it worked. Geared up and got off on a test ride, just out my driveway and .........kind of immediately turned around. Couldn't upshift anymore, not even to neutral :unsure:. My solution (since I liked that steeper angle): I ordered and installed the AeroMach heel-toe shifter. Works like a champ and didn't limit or reduce the lean angle like a lowered floorboard would (y):)
View attachment 577200

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts