Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery today of my Chieftain. Following instructions on changing security PIN, but it just won't take. Followed manual exactly. Anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
page 115 of manual

step 4. change last sentence to - " Proceed to step 4b to enter you original or current PIN. "

step 4b. enter original or current PIN > horn will sound ( you need the bikes original PIN from the factory, dealer can retrieve it )

continue with step 5

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Initially I could not get mine to work so Arlen Ness re-set it for me to the code they use for all new delivery Indians (I did not buy my Chieftain from them) then I reset it to something else. They said the dealer who delivered the bike did not set the code up initially.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my 2015 chieftain and my battery light started flashing after starting. Light continued flashing until the power was off. Realized this only happens when using the key fob. Master pin code on my paper work would not work. After talking to dealer decide to use my last 4 digits of my vin. It actually worked. Changed battery in fob and it works fine also.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Watch this video. I reset mine as soon as I got home from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
A week ago I was scrolling thru the Indian Motorcycle How-To Videos posted on You-Tube (above) and realized I had forgot to change the Owner security PIN code that the Local Dealer Had programmed in for me. My initial attempts of following the Manual Instructions had failed. I followed the You-Tube Video Instructions shown above, which differ from the manual - It worked as Advertised.

They also had other How-To Videos for other aspects of my Chieftain that I found helpful as well.

roadrunner -

·
Read Only
163 Posts
The dealer tried to reset mine to the code I specified, but failed multiple times
before succeeding. We eventually figured out that the mechanism may be too
time sensitive and slight variations in the length of time between "clicks" used
to select high numbers can be a problem. We altered my choice to a different
set of digits and it worked the first time.

FWIW..

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
The dealer tried to reset mine to the code I specified, but failed multiple times
before succeeding. We eventually figured out that the mechanism may be too
time sensitive and slight variations in the length of time between "clicks" used
to select high numbers can be a problem. We altered my choice to a different
set of digits and it worked the first time.

FWIW..
I experienced a high and steady rate of operator error on the high numbers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I still can't change my security pin. I've followed all the steps listed, watched the video and it still doesn't work. I just sent an email to IM Owners Support and I hope they can help me. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

·
Silver member
4,981 Posts
I can't wrap my brain around why I would need anything other than the master pin from factory. So what is the point of having another "consumer" pin?

·
Founding member
2,171 Posts
I can't wrap my brain around why I would need anything other than the master pin from factory. So what is the point of having another "consumer" pin?
To have a number which is easy to remember - like birthday, last 4 of SS#, or for some people who don't want to carry the fob, a number which is all small numbers so it can be used quickly - like 1-0-1-0.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I still can't change my security pin. I've followed all the steps listed, watched the video and it still doesn't work. I just sent an email to IM Owners Support and I hope they can help me. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Where in LA are you? If you get a chance, ride down to IMOC in Westminster and they would have you fixed up in a heartbeat. May wanna buy a T-shirt or two while you're there.

·
Silver member
4,981 Posts
Mine is a higher number and quite a few taps, but it is like any other number. I just memorized it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts